What's new

Schick Injector Question

I have a Schick Adjustable Injector razor that was my grandfathers, and I finally got around to buying a pack of injector blades and giving it a try. It was a good shave, however I had a little issue with the blade allignment.
So, here is my question. When I load the blade into the razor it goes in fine, however it was uneven and caused the blade to come a little further on one side. There are notches on each side where the blade comes out, so is the blade supposed to be kept behind the notches and kept even that way or does the blade rest on top of the notches?

For me the blade would only stay on top of the notches and I had to push the blade back and forth with my fingernails to get it lined up as good as possible.

I hope that there isn't a defect with this razor as it was my grandfather's and I want to use it.

Thanks,
J.

The blade should rest behind the notches. If you have a chance, post a pic and any problems might be identified.

Yeah, I'll take a pic tonight and post it because I figured the blade should go behind the notches, but I sure couldn't push it up behind both of them.

Thanks,
J.

I'll be looking for the pictures, but if you want something to try first, you can insert the cartridge key back into the head to relieve the clamping force on the blade. That might allow you to finesse it back into position.

- Chris

HTML:
Ok here is a pic. I can get it to be a little straighter than this, but I left it like this to show the problem. I did try inserting the loader and trying to push the blade back with my fingernail, however no matter how far I push it back one side always ends up going over the notch.
BTW I had a terror of a time trying to get a good pic of this but this was the best of the 30 pics I took of it... but you can tell that on the left side there it is behind the notch but on the right it is way off. So, I don't know I may just be out of luck.

Thanks everyone.
J.

I can tell - definitely looks off there. Does the head behind the blade look bent or hit at all? Maybe he dropped it at some point.

I can tell - definitely looks off there. Does the head behind the blade look bent or hit at all? Maybe he dropped it at some point.

I don't see anything that looks bent or where it took a fall, but I'm thinking that is probably what happened. I think this may be more of a keepsake than a razor that I keep in rotation, and that is okay with me although I may have to find an injector to have as a user.

Thanks,
J.

I don't want to high jack your thread but I just received an old injector, the one with the original bakelite handle with no seams. I think it's a Type E. Anyways, I got a 15 pack of blades from Rite Aid. I knew they probably wouldn't be the highest quality blades, but they were the only one's I've seen and I checked about 5 stores. The only problem is... I can't get the blades in the razor. The blades go about halfway in, and then they just won't budge. It looks almost as if the side of the razor was scraping the finish off of the razor because it didn't want to go in.

Is this a side effect of the cheap plastic injector from Rite Aid, or could it be the razor itself? I hope it's not the razor, because it seems to be in such great condition. If it's a problem with the cheap cartridges, then I guess I'll have to get some Chinese Schicks online. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ok, so my injector is one of the ones where I can swing down the lever to clean the inside, so I placed the blade in there and closed it up. It kind of defeats the purpose of the injector, but when I swung it down, I could definitely see where the blade scraped the razor and I didn't want to risk anything else.

I built up a pretty massive lather of Van der Hagen soap. There was tons of lather, although it didn't seem super slick. I don't know if it was technique or the soap itself. Regardless, after that shave the whole pack of rite-aid blades went right in the trash. Going down my cheeks, I could tell the injector would be a great razor, however the blade chewed up my face pretty badly. I got three weepers, and I think I'm going to get a patch of nasty ingrowns under my neck very soon.

I guess I'll just have to get some Chinese Schicks online, but until then, this injector is staying on the shelf.

Top Bottom