What's new

Schick Injector Question

I just picked up an ivory Schick Injector, I think its a "J" type. Is there anyway I can get the blade out without inserting a new one. I want to clean the razor properly before I insert a new blade.
I has have a Schick short handle Bakelite injector razor. Same question as above. On the underside of the razor head looks like a latch the might swing out.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Dave

What I do is insert the cartridge and push in a new blade just far enough to get a needle nosed plier on the old blade and pull it out, no more then 1/8". You can then pull the cartridge out, the new blade will come with it. Then just push back the 1/8" of new blade back into the cartridge. I find the whole process only takes about 15 seconds.

Len

Check to see if the latch does swing out. If it does, swing it out, the bottom of the head will flop open and the blade will fall out.

If the latch doesn't swing open, get 2 toothpicks. Insert one where the injector key would go, then use the second toothpick to push out the blade. No need to push the toothpick all the way in; just far enough to push the blade out enough to grab it and remove it. Remove the toothpicks and you're done.

What I do is insert the cartridge and push in a new blade just far enough to get a needle nosed plier on the old blade and pull it out, no more then 1/8". You can then pull the cartridge out, the new blade will come with it. Then just push back the 1/8" of new blade back into the cartridge. I find the whole process only takes about 15 seconds.

Len

Thanks it worked just as you said. Looking foward to trying it out tomorrow morning.

Thanks it worked just as you said. Looking foward to trying it out tomorrow morning.

That's great, Dave. I don't know if you've ever used a Schick before, just go easy to start until you get the feel of it. It gives a great shave.

Len

+1
This is exactly what I would suggest. Just be careful pushing the blade back into the cartridge.

Patrick

I asked just this question a few days ago and received just the same replies :biggrin:

However, you might want to note that you don't actually have to _push_ the blade back in. Depending on how far out it is in the first place, you might just be able to insert a toothpick in the oblong hole on the blade and _pull_ it back in.

Less dangerous that way.

That's great, Dave. I don't know if you've ever used a Schick before, just go easy to start until you get the feel of it. It gives a great shave.

Len

First let me say wow, what a great easy two pass shave, not even a slight nick. Most stubble was removed in the first pass, the second pass was really just touch up and I got a true BBS, sometimes this term is thrown around. I was so surprised on how well the shave was. We need to start a sub-group under safety razors for Injectors. The big plus was shaving the neck area. Much easier for me than a D/E. (please note I love shaving with a D/E and have no plans of stopping, just I'm now going to add injectors to my rotation). I really have to wonder what is was like years ago when disposables came out. Someone who used a injector could not have felt that disposables gave them a better or easier shave. The injector could not be any easer.

I did remove the blade like directed by Oldguy and seconded by ponyplayer, thanks guys it worked. I soaked the razor head in barbaricide over night and when I tried to load the empty razor head I did so with some resistance, after a little assertiveness the blade slid right in.

The only drawback was that since I was so impatient to try out the razor I greatly over paid for two packs of Schick Blades at C.O. Bigelow Chemists nearly $7 a pack, thats 70 red pack.

What other blades can anyone recommend that work great and where to pick them up.

Thanks for all the help.

Dave

Injector blades are a bit pricey. Try drugstore.com also Ted Pella carries a line of injectors. Based on my searches, Injector blades are never going to match the Reds for economy. Enjoy.

Top Bottom