What's new

Schick injector blade in a Micromatic?

What an inspirational thread! Thanks to @oldmpf and @Prince of Darkness I was lead here and it made me think could I fit a Personna 74 in a Sun Ray?
The 1912 is different from the TTOs and it needs something to hold the blade against the stops so here’s an adapter:
View attachment 836017
It’s two layers of plastic of differing lengths in a GEM spine (I tried three layers of plastic to sandwich the blade but that’s too thick for the head to snap shut).
The first layer is slightly shorter than a GEM blade so the Injector blade can rest on it with the cutting edge exposed.
The second layer is the length of a GEM blade minus the length of an Injector blade to hold the Injector blade against the stops.
Kool and the Gang :)
Really neat solution:a14:

What an inspirational thread! Thanks to @oldmpf and @Prince of Darkness I was lead here and it made me think could I fit a Personna 74 in a Sun Ray?
The 1912 is different from the TTOs and it needs something to hold the blade against the stops so here’s an adapter:
View attachment 836017
It’s two layers of plastic of differing lengths in a GEM spine (I tried three layers of plastic to sandwich the blade but that’s too thick for the head to snap shut).
The first layer is slightly shorter than a GEM blade so the Injector blade can rest on it with the cutting edge exposed.
The second layer is the length of a GEM blade minus the length of an Injector blade to hold the Injector blade against the stops.
Kool and the Gang :)

Wow, excellent solution. Ingenuity in practice. I will be giving it a try myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

Ah-ha it works!!
2A6C50F6-A720-46D5-8AF4-DD0BA7AF5D5D.jpeg

Lots of fun and the P74 Injector has got to be one of the finest blades ever made but to be honest I think the GEM blades suite the opulent Sun Ray better.

Clog-Pruf Peerless/Proline-P

The rounded ends of the Proline-B make it impossible to secure them in the Micromatic but a trimmed AC Proline is fine. Very smooth.
proxy.php

Y'all need to make sure your MM is in perfect working order before trying this, some have reported inadequate clamping pressure to hold the blade securely.

Tested this combo today and holy yeah it worked. Only thing is that for me it's maybe too efficient and smooth. But surely gonna test this again and could jump to my rotation which is already huge. [emoji4]
proxy.php
proxy.php

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Thur, July 8th 2021, 2021, Sometimes I like to experiment with different blades and this one has not been tried before with a guarded Kai Protouch(love these blades). Some folks have used injector blades in their Micromatics with good success, the blade is held secure and will not come out because of the bottom tensioner brackets push the blade into the blade stops.(no need to over torque either.) Measured and sniped proper length and it has been loaded for a few days because of razor rotation. Well it worked great and now I will use it for a few more shaves. The feel of the blade is different and a little smoother for sure with a brand new blade and knocked off a real decent shave for excellent results.
Nothing wrong with a Gem blades at all but these guarded expensive blades are a treat in my proper SE 50 mm razor and also with my MMOC it seems now. Personna has made guarded blades for salons many years ago and still do I believe in disposable razors for salons.

Razor: Micromatic OC buttonless: Mfg model 1930-32, excellent mid range, built to last, joy to use the 5 variants Micromatics and other Gem models.
Blade: Kai Protouch modified(1) excellent blade, sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap: Razorock XXX, nice clean scent, with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm boar brush, nice boar brush after broke in, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great scrub & great lather painter. Lost some hairs at first but it seems to have stopped for now.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera Gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX AS with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Gem MMOC razor with a modified Kai Protouch guarded blade.
Here is another blade that works real well IMO, But is expensive(6-7 times) compared to a Gem Personna SS PTFE blade that has greater longevity than the Kai Protouch MG or a Feather Proguard IMO.
SE SOTD, Thur, July 8th 2021 (Protouch blade).jpg

Kai Protouch in a Gem Micromatic.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Ron R

ASRazor shave, Tuesday, August 30th 2022- Reversed the Schick Twin2 blade for a single edge shave this morning and found it has a little more blade feel and had a very close comfortable shave. Nice blade feel in this configuration for those folks who like blade feel in a razor IMO.
Handled wonderfully also and felt great in the hand. Very sharp blade when reversed also.
In the normal position a Twin2 blade would sit in a razor is the most smoothest and comfortable shave in this Gem MMFW razor and is very nice shaving for daily shavers. It does not feel like a Schick injector but a much nicer feel for myself because the blade is still tilted downward because of the middle blade keeper + more heavier razor IMO. Care is needed to seat blade in blade stops, once clamped down it is not going anywhere because of the way a Micromatic clamps blades IMO.

Razor : Gem Micromatic Flying wing(AKA= guiding eye, Bullet tip, MMFW + MMBT) excellent mild> tame mid range, well built and the heaviest of the 3 main model variants. A joy to use!
Blade : Schick Twin 2 Stainless (2), Excellent blade, Sharp & smoooth with stellar longevity. Excellent for daily shaving! Bought mine years ago when had a good sale, Pricier now when checked last at big auction house.
Soap : Razorock XXX Fresco with mild menthol- nice mild clean scented + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi Bali 24mm Silvertip badger
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Gem MMFW with a Schick Twin 2 blade.
(L) MMFW shave with a Schick Twin2 blade.............................Shave with a reversed Twin 2 blade -Click picture to enlarge!
Schick twin blade in a MMBT hack blade normal..jpg
Schick twin blade in a MMBT hackblade reversed..jpg

Below closer look of the differences when blade is reversed, You will get more blade feel when reversed because of blade gap
increased from how blade is stacked with nice blade feel for those folks who like that feel. Or just use it like it was designed for comfortable daily shaving.
Schick twin blade in a MMBT hack..jpg

(Todays shave below.)
Brush collage  August 30 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

Some more interesting information on the Schick Twin II blade I discovered while explaining some information on another thread about meaning reversing the blade.
When I mean reversed the twin blade both edges are upside down with the bottom blade is now on the top. You increase blade exposure because the two blades & spacer act as a shim combined for 21/1000 of inch or .021 inches instead of a one regular standard blade thickness of 9/1000".
Basically a shim equalling 14/1000 of inch or .014 inches under the top blade that is magically spot welded together.
Another interesting unknown are these have a special thickness for these blades of 7/1000 inches each in thickness, spacer is 7/1000 of a inch in thickness for this Schick twin 2 blade combined = 21/1000 of a inch or .021 inches.
It is kind of hard to explain so I took simple photo to help me to add what I have mentioned, hope this clears this understanding of what reversed means to me.
(L) reversed of what it would look like held in a razor...(R)What a normal designed Schick twin clamped looks like in use.
Schick twin blade in a MMBT hack. reversed meaning..jpg

Have some great shaves.

Guess I'll go dig out my box of GEMS, and look into this. I recently ended up with a variety of great-looking GEM razors. I got some sample packs of blades from Ted Pella, and tried out all the favorites everyone raved about on-line. I've been shaving with DE and Straights for several decades, as well as with several injectors, but the GEMs with the various blades were all comparative ¢rap shaves, not worth pursuing further.

... 30 minutes later:

The Clog-Pruf holds an injector blade securely, and also the G-Bar has enough snap to hold a blade in place - at least long enough for me to shave off a lot of hair on my arm. The other razors all allow the blade to move around

Now, I need to see if the GEM blade with the aluminum spine removed will fit my Christy ...

It was like Bambi vs Godzilla.
I loaded up the Clog Pruf and also the G-Bar with a couple of injector blades I had lying around.
Left Side: For the first pass I used the G-Bar and was impressed that the blade actually stayed locked in place up againsthr stops. There was some blade noise, but I attribute it to the blade I used wasn't brand new. After 3 passes I had an accepptable shave, likely able to improve with known fresh blades. There was a little residual roughness under my chin along my neck that just wouldn't clean up.
Right Side: Gillette New Long comb with a Treet Carbon Steel blade. It was an effortless shave, completely BBS, and hands down winner.

Overall, the GEMs shaved better with the injector blades than they did with my assortment of GEM blades. In fact, they shaved a little smoother than any of my injectors.

Top Bottom