What's new

Schick injector blade in a Micromatic?

So I am on the fence with a Gem type SE and am just looking at what is on ebay. One listing is selling a Micromatic and a set of injector blades. Okay I know the deal with ebay listings and so I read it anyway to see what the seller has to say about that. The seller says that it is possible to load a Schick injector blade in a Micromatic. Yes, I know that if an ebay seller tells me the sky is blue, I would still look out my window first. However I am looking at the picture of the inside of a Micromatic and see notches to hold the Gem blade that could serve the function of securing an injector blade.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

This sounded so wacky, that i had to try it! :laugh:
It actually can be done! I have an OCMM, and if the blade stops are in proper order, you can put a Schick blade against them, hold it with your finger, and tighten the lid to push the blade securely against the stops.
It's a little tricky to get the blade to sit right, as the GEM blade is ~0.5mm wider than the Schick, and Schick also has chamfered corners, making the edge of it ~0.2mm wider than the gap between the MM's blade stops.

Here's a pic of what i'm talking about:
proxy.php

YMMV.

Don't know how it would shave tho.

Wet shavers, especially SE shavers, are an ingenious bunch, so it doesn't surprise me that someone could figure out a way to do it. I'd be very hesitant to actually try to shave with it, fearing that the blade might shift while being used.

Besides . . . why? The correct single edge blades are of high quality, readily available, and cheap.

--Bob

Wet shavers, especially SE shavers, are an ingenious bunch, so it doesn't surprise me that someone could figure out a way to do it. I'd be very hesitant to actually try to shave with it, fearing that the blade might shift while being used.

Besides . . . why? The correct single edge blades are of high quality, readily available, and cheap.

--Bob

The blade actually sits very sturdily in place, once you get the lid tight; the lid has protruding metal "tumblers" (don't know if that's the right word for them) underneath, that push the blade (Schick or GEM) firmly against the stops, and it doesn't feel like it's going anywhere - even if i bang the razor against the table.

As to why; why not? I personally wouldn't use this combination as a daily shaver just because it's so inconvenient to change the blade, but just for the heck of it i might try it out. :laugh:

So the sky really IS blue and I don't have to look out the window! All of that might go out the window anyway since I put a bid on a 1924 which seems to hold the blade differently.

Thanks all.

I posted about this a bit ago. The TTO SE's can accept the injector blades. There appears to be a partition in the cap that will lock it into place as well. I shaved with one for a few days, but didn't appreciate any advantages over the regular SE blades.

If you didn't shave with it, then you didn't truly try it.... just saying.

Still waiting to hear how the shave goes!
Well, yes. I agree with that, but what i was referring there was that the MM would actually hold a Schick blade at all, since they are so different in size and design. :laugh:

As for the shave test, i sadly can not do it properly, since my MM is not shaveable even with a GEM blade.. When i got it, the blade stops were gone, and i have kind of jerry-rigged new stoppers, but since i don't have an original MM to compare, the measures are somewhat off, and the blade sits too far from the edge of the comb to get a decent shave from it. It's currently waiting for me to get another MM for comparison, but as cheap as they are on the bay, postage pretty much always at least doubles, or triples the price and - cheap as i am - i won't pay 15$ shipping for a 10$ product. :blushing:

Here's a couple pictures from the underside instead. It shows how the blade is being pushed against the stops. :001_smile

proxy.php

proxy.php

Well I had to try it! :001_smile Just got a Micromatic Clog Pruf, and after a couple of shaves with the standard blade I had a go with a Personna injector blade. Overall, I would say it is well worth trying, especially for someone who has found micromatics too agressive. The blade sits at a different angle to the Gem blade, and is effectively shimmed. The reason for this is the central ridge on the base plate, which corresponds to a cut out in the middle of the Gem blade and which centres it. With an injector blade, this causes the rear of the blade to be raised. Overall I prefer the Gem blade, it shaves a fraction closer, though I feel that the combination needs to be treated with respect; bad technique and carelessness are likely to be punished. With the injector blade it still gives a very good shave and is one of the milder combinations I have tried, so I would certainly recomend giving it a try. Of course the option of Schick or cut down Artist Club blades also exists. Eventually I will have to see if the twin injector blades will fit!:w00t:

Second shave with the injector blade. Quite a difference, up with the best! Seems to be a characteristic of Personna blades in general that they get smoother and more efficient second or third shave. Think this set up could become a regular in my rotation:001_smile

Tried a japanese twin injector blade. PHENOMENAL! Extremely smooth, efficient and effortless shave. No sting from the alum, despite being about as close a shave as I have had. I do not think there is any difference in performance with this blade in the Micromatic compared to with the Schick J1 that I have also used it in, but the experience is very different due to the weight and design of the razors. I really do love these blades, they shave really close and it seems almost impossible to cut yourself with them:thumbup:

I need to try that! Well, with a regular persona injector blade. I picked up a MMOC and finally cleaned it up real good and started shaving with it. Fantastic razor! I did test fit a used injector blade and it did require exact placement, but once the door came down, it appeared very solid and had an even blade gap. Maybe the next step would be for me to use a new persona blade and try it out. I can see where the weight and shape of the head would definitely give a new experience to the injector blade.

Took a while for me to get to loading an injector razor in my MMOC as I got real busy with a bunch of things. Finally did so tonight and am still amazed at the results. Definitely better than the Blue Star I had loaded in the MMOC. It combined the thin blade sharpness of the injector with the weight and intuitive angle of the MMOC. I got by with two passes and no touch up, and I could have gotten by with one pass. If it wasn't for the fact that I have other SE razors that need a Gem blade (and I am thinking of thinning out the bunch now that I decided on keeping the MMOC and possibly the MMCP), I could just use the injector blade and be totally satisfied.

Thanks Kevin for risking your face for the group.

Bumping an old thread to confirm that that the MMOC with a trimmed AC blade is a thing, and a beautiful one at that. BBS head shave this morning. Try it you'll like it.

proxy.php

What an inspirational thread! Thanks to @oldmpf and @Prince of Darkness I was lead here and it made me think could I fit a Personna 74 in a Sun Ray?
The 1912 is different from the TTOs and it needs something to hold the blade against the stops so here’s an adapter:
67672BA7-1E75-4519-B567-DD7A70861C7A.jpeg

It’s two layers of plastic of differing lengths in a GEM spine (I tried three layers of plastic to sandwich the blade but that’s too thick for the head to snap shut).
The first layer is slightly shorter than a GEM blade so the Injector blade can rest on it with the cutting edge exposed.
The second layer is the length of a GEM blade minus the length of an Injector blade to hold the Injector blade against the stops.
Kool and the Gang :)

What an inspirational thread! Thanks to @oldmpf and @Prince of Darkness I was lead here and it made me think could I fit a Personna 74 in a Sun Ray?
The 1912 is different from the TTOs and it needs something to hold the blade against the stops so here’s an adapter:
View attachment 836017
It’s two layers of plastic of differing lengths in a GEM spine (I tried three layers of plastic to sandwich the blade but that’s too thick for the head to snap shut).
The first layer is slightly shorter than a GEM blade so the Injector blade can rest on it with the cutting edge exposed.
The second layer is the length of a GEM blade minus the length of an Injector blade to hold the Injector blade against the stops.
Kool and the Gang :)
Bravo Marcus - maybe I will maybe I won't.
Mike

Bumping an old thread to confirm that that the MMOC with a trimmed AC blade is a thing, and a beautiful one at that. BBS head shave this morning. Try it you'll like it.

proxy.php
Have not tried a Schick Proline Type B as it may not fit due to chamfer at the end. So may have to do what you did.

Tried a japanese twin injector blade. PHENOMENAL! Extremely smooth, efficient and effortless shave. No sting from the alum, despite being about as close a shave as I have had. I do not think there is any difference in performance with this blade in the Micromatic compared to with the Schick J1 that I have also used it in, but the experience is very different due to the weight and design of the razors. I really do love these blades, they shave really close and it seems almost impossible to cut yourself with them:thumbup:
I too used a Japanese Schick. A Lovely close Shave no problems. I believe a Twin may work too:001_smile

Top Bottom