What's new

Schick Injectgor-Canada vs. USA

I have quite a collection of Schick Injectors that I dearly love.

However, I do not have the 1937 Canada one. Is it identical to the American Type E (1935 to 1945)? Does it shave the same? If I got one, would it just be duplication?

The Pat.1937 Canadian Schick that I use has an "E-2" head but a Type G handle with a seam, causing much confusion and debate amongst the Schickologists.
So presumably it shaves the same as any other E, i.e. brilliantly :thumbup:

I'd like to know the answer to this question as well since I have recently got a Canadian Schick injector. It does have the Pat. 1937 stamped on but since I don't have it yet I don't know if it can open either.

I'd like to know the answer to this question as well since I have recently got a Canadian Schick injector. It does have the Pat. 1937 stamped on but since I don't have it yet I don't know if it can open either.

Mine doesn't open - the spring plate has a central notch in it through which a tang on the head fits, making movement impossible.
It does have the round flaps and narrow-depth face guard of the E-2 and is an aggressive shaver.

Mine doesn't open - the spring plate has a central notch in it through which a tang on the head fits, making movement impossible.
It does have the round flaps and narrow-depth face guard of the E-2 and is an aggressive shaver.

Unfortunately, I can only provide you this picture it's the one that is on my way. I only own a few Schick injectors and I'm still trying to learn their history and models. I assume this would be an equivalent of an American E-2 and that this Canadian version does not open?

$Canadian Schick.jpg

Unfortunately, I can only provide you this picture it's the one that is on my way. I only own a few Schick injectors and I'm still trying to learn their history and models. I assume this would be an equivalent of an American E-2 and that this Canadian version does not open?

View attachment 397712

That's an E-2 head with the round flaps, but on your one it looks like the spring opens! The notch on yours is in the right hand side of the spring, allowing it to pivot to the left.
Also, is that an unseamed bakelite handle, which would make this a classic E.
It's hard to tell from the picture...

Last edited:
Well done, Joe. Yeah, it also looks to me like it might open--in your top right picture, the spring is narrower at the top. That's the way my E2 looks, and it opens. But mine is not Canadian, so YMMV.

Steve, it appears that it doesn't have a blade loaded so it won't be fun trying to get one installed. The Canadian models are so tricky to identify and sometimes they look exactly like a G type (well to at least to me they do).

I don't believe that the E and G injectors were meant to be opened by moving the "spring". And I quote "spring" because I don't think it's spring steel. It's not super springy if you know what I mean. It can most certainly be bent. I know I have some loose ones.

You will see on some injectors which don't have the spring locked in place, it looks like the spring has been opened and closed by the mark it leaves on the head. I'm going out on a limb here, but I believe that is from when they put the razor together. The spring was moved once - into place.

That is just my guess.

It's not that hard to load a blade without the old one being in there, but there is a good chance that your fresh blade will be dulled by the action. You may have to double pump it.

-jim

Yeah-stick the key in one side then manually load a used blade in (carefully!) from the other side.
Then load the new blade direct from the from the injector.
This is what I did with my empty L, and it worked a treat!

Top of the day!!

yes it is the last of the E series. Gentle men get your magnifiers out. Although the tab of the spring(accepted term) is notched like the 1st E-2 , look closer and you'll see the spring is tabbed on both sides., striated safety bar and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the lather slot is the open one slightly delta in shape..People might try to open them and when they do---there's the arc scratch through the patent #s'. for righties and the other side for lefties.
So when forced open to clean-----change in the geometry of the leading edge and trailing edge and voila', the resulting shave is affected.
other than that it's a great E and will give "E"fective shaves that you'll dig!

$P1080425.jpg like the middle one
p.s. if it has Made In USA on the back above the rivet then it's 99.9999999999 % sure it's an early E-2 with striated bar and opens for cleaning.

Last edited:
I've never bought into the notion that it is necessary to periodically open injectors to clean them. It seems to me that every time one loads a new blade there is serious internal cleaning going on by the scraping movement of the new blade.

Now I realize that Schick came out with the Type I, the Hydro-magic, that allowed the razor to opened for cleaning. But I feel the feature was built more on advertising and enhancing sales than on need. I also note that the Hydro-magic feature was abandoned on most subsequent models.

Last edited:
It's not that hard to load a blade without the old one being in there, but there is a good chance that your fresh blade will be dulled by the action. You may have to double pump it.

-jim

I'm glad I keep old blades around I figured somehow they would come in handy!

Yeah-stick the key in one side then manually load a used blade in (carefully!) from the other side.
Then load the new blade direct from the from the injector.
This is what I did with my empty L, and it worked a treat!

Thanks for the tip MJ! I will do exactly what you have mentioned.

Top of the day!!

yes it is the last of the E series. Gentle men get your magnifiers out. Although the tab of the spring(accepted term) is notched like the 1st E-2 , look closer and you'll see the spring is tabbed on both sides., striated safety bar and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the lather slot is the open one slightly delta in shape..People might try to open them and when they do---there's the arc scratch through the patent #s'. for righties and the other side for lefties.
So when forced open to clean-----change in the geometry of the leading edge and trailing edge and voila', the resulting shave is affected.
other than that it's a great E and will give "E"fective shaves that you'll dig!

View attachment 397917 like the middle one
p.s. if it has Made In USA on the back above the rivet then it's 99.9999999999 % sure it's an early E-2 with striated bar and opens for cleaning.

CB, you nailed it right. I just got my Canadian E Schick today and it's exactly like the one in the center it has a notch on both the right and left side. Of course, this means it can't be opened speaking of which ...

I've never bought into the notion that it is necessary to periodically open injectors to clean them. It seems to me that every time one loads a new blade there is serious internal cleaning going on by the scraping movement of the new blade.

Now I realize that Schick came out with the Type I, the Hydro-magic, that allowed the razor to opened for cleaning. But I feel the feature was built more on advertising and enhancing sales than on need. I also note that the Hydro-magic feature was abandoned on most subsequent models.

Santamariasteve, I really have never cared if any of my injectors open up. After my Golden 500 arrived and I used it a few times I didn't care for opening it after the first few times. I didn't think it was necessary to open my Golden 500 since I don't believe it will gunk up where the razor sits. I also thought it made the the Golden 500 feel a bit flimsy if that makes any sense. I like my new Canadian E Schick.

I feel strongly both ways. :huh: I agree that I've never found a need to open my razors to clean them, but Schicks had the HydroMagic feature in the J3 and J4 and K (Lady Schicks) as well as the I2. The E2 opens as well. So I guess that somebody felt like it might appeal to the public.

Actually, I find that a thorough rinsing under sufficiently hot water from the tap cleans all of my injectors entirely adequately.

I have both the 1937 Canadian E and the American G and to me they both shave the same. The E was my first SE and so far it is my favorite razor. I alternate between the E and G and my other razors to keep them in use.

Whether or not it was necessary, or the public particularly wanted it, someone at Schick liked the concept. It started in the Type D in 1935 (the first "injector" that can use modern blades), then into the E2, then the Hydro, then the various other models with the Hydro Magic lever.

$Razor516-SchickTypeD-1935-Ex.jpg$Razor516-SchickTypeD-1935-Ex_01.jpg

Seriously. The way some razors look when I get them, I think a lot of guys don't even rinse! YUK!

To the point of the OP. All the Canadian "1937"s I've seen are basically identical to US type Gs. Your exception noted, mjclark.

I like the looks of this razor. Someone tell me more. Common? Unobtainable?

Whether or not it was necessary, or the public particularly wanted it, someone at Schick liked the concept. It started in the Type D in 1935 (the first "injector" that can use modern blades), then into the E2, then the Hydro, then the various other models with the Hydro Magic lever.

View attachment 399086View attachment 399085

Seriously. The way some razors look when I get them, I think a lot of guys don't even rinse! YUK!

To the point of the OP. All the Canadian "1937"s I've seen are basically identical to US type Gs. Your exception noted, mjclark.

Excellent thanks! The best thing is that it only cost me $9.49 lol!
There were 4 Different Type E 2 Injectors beginning with One that Opened..The 2nd Model has an off centred spring & looks the same as the 1st Model but it does not open because it has tabs either side..:w00t:

The 3rd Edition was the 1941 Model that had the 1st Centred Spring with the Tab in the Middle..This is an Unusual Model because it has Circles Embossed on the top side of the spring..The 4th & Last Model is the same as the previous Model except that it looks the same on the Top Side of the Spring as any other Type E..:001_cool:

The Canadian Models are Identical to the USA Made Ones in that Order except they Didn't make the 1941 Model with the Circles Embossed onto the Topside of the Spring to my Knowledge..:thumbup1:

Billy

Top Bottom