What's new

Schick I and J - Same Shave?

For the record I have the following I and J injectors either here on there way in the mail.

Both white handle (Eversharp Schick and Schick Safety Razor marked) I1 razors
Black handle (SCHICK) I1
Gold head Hydro Magic I2
J3
J4

I've only used the I2 so far.

I have the J with the hydro magic head and the I 1 with the Schick Safety Razor lettering on the head. Any measurements I can provide to help determine dimensions, just let me know.

Only picture that I think would be useful here besides what has been posted thus far is a picture of a J1 head side by side with a J2 or any of the I razors to see how much blade exposure each has.

I have the I Hydro Magic and a J Model. I had always read the J Model was purportedly a tad milder, but I don't know for sure. I rarely use either one anymore preferring my G1, E2 & M Model adj., but I do prefer a shorter handle however. I think the resultant shave is more dependent upon the soap used. Injectors thrive on glide.

That system should not be relied upon. The long handle Hydromagic 500 (referred to as a 1958 J3/4 was introduced for Father's Day 1955 and sold along side the so-called "I" (and "G" apparently) models. The "500" appears again in 57.

proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Just bought a razor lot, one razor is the I2 hydro magic head and this is interesting thread to read about the shave differences. I like my E2 & E3 & L stick Schick with a twin II blade and now a lever hydro magic head.
I think the lever is a good idea for cleaning and yet some say they are usually clean anyways. Always learning and Schick made excellent products and I like my Schick razors. I bought them cheap and are just user grade IMO and will have to test them soon, paid more for shipping than the razor, oh how times have changed.
Have some great shaves!

from what i have found out in this thread i believe the one i got yesterday was a i55 what exactly made the i55 a i55?

It is a designation some people use to differentiate between the white and black handle I1 injectors. The 55 is because the white handle one was introduced in 1955 the black handle one probably a little bit later. Technically based on how the Schick classification is done they should have been designated with different numbers since that is how the J 1 and 2 razors are done and also due to them have different exposures and the white I1 injectors being more aggressive than the black handle I1 injectors. I finally had a chance to use both and can confirm that is the case. You can see the pictures earlier in the thread showing the blade exposure difference.

What I can say for sure using both I1 razors, the white handle ones are pretty much the same as an I2 with the hydro magic lever and the black handle I1 is milder than both those. It is probably more akin to a J1 or J2 which has same blade exposure as a black handle I1.

Based on what I know so far I would classify the I and J razors like this if you group them by how they shave.

Aggressiverer
I1 White handle
I2 hydro magic lever
J3/4 Hydro magic lever all variations

Milderer
I1 Black handle
J1/2 white and black handles

Ron R

Based on what I know so far I would classify the I and J razors like this if you group them by how they shave.

Aggressiverer
I1 White handle
I2 hydro magic lever
J3/4 Hydro magic lever all variations

Milderer
I1 Black handle
J1/2 white and black handles
Good review and easy to follow, I just bought a I2 from Razor lot and I will have to give it a whirl soon after some clean up.

It is a designation some people use to differentiate between the white and black handle I1 injectors. The 55 is because the white handle one was introduced in 1955 the black handle one probably a little bit later. Technically based on how the Schick classification is done they should have been designated with different numbers since that is how the J 1 and 2 razors are done and also due to them have different exposures and the white I1 injectors being more aggressive than the black handle I1 injectors. I finally had a chance to use both and can confirm that is the case. You can see the pictures earlier in the thread showing the blade exposure difference.

What I can say for sure using both I1 razors, the white handle ones are pretty much the same as an I2 with the hydro magic lever and the black handle I1 is milder than both those. It is probably more akin to a J1 or J2 which has same blade exposure as a black handle I1.
thanks and since i posted originally about this i have found out the I 55 was ONLY made in 1955 and was changed the next year which is why some refer to it as an I55...the 55 and later still had "white" handles but from what i have read they made the head a little less "aggressive" after the I55

Used my I2 Hydro tonight on a two day beard with a once used Proline B-20 blade and what a dream it was!! Using up the last of a Speick tallow stick and just a phenomenal shave. :thumbsup:

Ron R

Used my Schick hydro-magic i2 Mfg 1954-57 for the first time this morning and knocked of a really close shave for this later series Schick. It is not as aggressive as my E2 but is very efficient so final results were CCS,DFS,BBs, Alum indicated a little irritation in the neck area but was very happy with the shave for this old Schick. I did a cotton ball test to check on results because I was not expecting such a close shave, not much fuzz anywhere to be found.(it does not get much better than IMO.)
Schick i2 1st shave (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R, is that the newest iteration of Seville in Excelsior base? If so, how is it? I had the Glissant base version a few years back.

Ron R

Ron R, is that the newest iteration of Seville in Excelsior base? If so, how is it? I had the Glissant base version a few years back.
I bought it back a yr or so ago and really enjoy Seville, the scent is 6 out of 10 for strength and it's hard to describe the scent but is pleasing and I like to always load extra in the lathering bowl to allow the fragrance linger in bathroom.
This is from another thread I wrote that explains it better.
Barrister & Mann Seville: Very nice soft soap and creates a great lather and it can be a thirsty soap so don't worry about adding a little water, it has some floral & citrus scents and when smelling dry soap in the tub it does not do it justice until you add some water and moisten the lather it becomes a more powerful great scent. B&M are leaders in the artisan soap makers world for making slick and great lather soaps but at a premium.
Have some great shaves!

I’ll be using my I55 on Thursday, followed by my J hydro matic on Friday. I’ll be sure to post up my comparison.

Top Bottom