What's new

Schick I and J - Same Shave?

I am going to put at least 1 more shave in with both I55 variants after I2 before testing out the J3 and J4 hydro-magic razors. See if I get the same results or not. The I2 I've used enough times already I don't need to evaluate it to know what type of shave to expect from that razor.

My expectations right now for the J3 and J4 is that they should differ based upon which brand is stamped on the razor head with the J4 which says Eversharp Hydro-magic being similar to the same as the I2 which also has that stamped on the razor head while the J3 which has Schick Golden 500 stamped on it a less aggressive razor in comparison. I'll get in a shave or 2 on each next week to find out for sure.
I have the J3 with Schick Golden 500 and to me it is a mild razor, especially in comparison to my I55. I’m definitely interested in hearing the results of your comparison.

...So to summarize so far the three I1 razors are different.
If you like mild then depending you preferred blade exposure You will either want the following

max blade exposure
White handle I1 stamped Schick Safety Razor

Min blade exposure
Black Handle I1 or J2 depending which handle style you like

For more aggressive
White handle I1 stamped Eversharp Schick

I'll put in another shave on the Eversharp Schick white handle I1 to see if I get the same results after using the I2 tomorrow.

Are you able to feeler gauge the blade gaps on these three respective models? I don't doubt your interpretations of the varying shaves amongst these models, I do however wonder if maybe what some interpret as intentional differences are merely the company's poor QC or stacking tolerances of the 1950's(?).

I am going to put at least 1 more shave in with both I55 variants after I2 before testing out the J3 and J4 hydro-magic razors. See if I get the same results or not. The I2 I've used enough times already I don't need to evaluate it to know what type of shave to expect from that razor.

My expectations right now for the J3 and J4 is that they should differ based upon which brand is stamped on the razor head with the J4 which says Eversharp Hydro-magic being similar to the same as the I2 which also has that stamped on the razor head while the J3 which has Schick Golden 500 stamped on it a less aggressive razor in comparison. I'll get in a shave or 2 on each next week to find out for sure.

Sounds good. We look forward to your results... i know every review i have seen of schick injectors say that as you get further into the alphabet the milder the razor meaning "A" being more aggressive than "B" and "B" being more aggressive than the next letter and so on, until the dial and adjustable s where you could make it more or less aggressive by adjusting the dial.

Not one to make trouble but the I series actual dates are 54-59. At least the Hydro-Magic dates from April '54 and the non Hydro I is advertised by Schick-Eversharp well into '59 alongside the J.

G,, I, and J models were all marketed in '55-'56.

Here's June '54:

proxy.php

Last edited:
Not one to make trouble but the I series actual dates are 54-59. At least the Hydro-Magic dates from April '54 and the non Hydro I is advertised by Schick-Eversharp well into '59 alongside the J.

G,, I, and J models were all marketed in '55-'56.

Here's June '54:

proxy.php

Appleby's Schick alphabet designations are by no means fully accurate and complete and as such subject to revision and improvement. At least with this the references people use haven't been turned into dogma like with certain other more collectable DE razors. If it was this thread would be blown up with ankle biting dogmatic muppets attacking for questioning the references they use.

Couple of other points. That there is overlap between the I/J and G injectors is not surprisingly realistically I would say they most likely stopped production of the G injectors when they switched over to the I/J head design. With that said it can take years to sells down existing inventory which is probably what you had in 54 and 55 with the G injectors. That ad posted earlier from 55 with them priced at 98 cents is like closeout price.

For I2 razors it looks like you have 3 to 4 variants, not necessarily different shavers but taking manufacturing revisions into consideration they are.

The first split is between the gold and chrome head I2 razors. I don't want to say both pictures are definative but the chrome ones came with 2 distinct stampings on the heads, one says Eversharp Schick and the other has standard Eversharp Hydro-magic stamp. Both came with the earlier short hydro-magic lever. It is hard to tell if the second one is gold or chrome but I'll be able to elaborate on it later once it is here.
12v1.jpg i2v2.jpg

Then the second split is for the gold head razors, in this case the difference is the lever, some have the earlier shorter lever and later ones have the longer lever you see on the J3, J4 and K injectors. They both are stamped Eversharp Hydro-magic and as such I would say are the same shavers with the lever being the only revision here.

My final point is these manufacturing revisions, like lever changes, stampings on the razor head is how to date them and even if the exact date is not correct the order of production can usually be determined. So the questions here first for the I1 and J1s are which stamped ones came first, Eversharp Schick, Schick Safety Razor or Schick, same with the I2 razors was it Eversharp Schick or Eversharp Hydro-magic.

I know which one came last because of how springs are done on the I1s and J1 and J2 razors the earlier ones have a hole in the spring and later models don't. All the ones without the hole in the spring say Schick on the razor head so those would be last in the progression of stampings on the razor heads. Also if you look at the heads the ones with the holes in the springs say patent pending and the ones without say patented. No patent numbers though on either.

Last edited:
I put in my shave today with the I2. This one is a golden head one that has the longer hydro-magic lever. That I2 and the white handle Eversharp Schick I1 are for all practical purposes the same razor just one has the hydro-magic lever for cleaning the other doesn't.

So to summarize so far the three I1 razors are different with the I2 being the same as the White handle I1 stamped Eversharp Schick and the black handle I1 stamped Schick being the same as a J2.
If you like mild then depending you preferred blade exposure You will either want the following

max blade exposure

Min blade exposure
Black Handle I1 or J2 depending which handle style you like since both are the same shaver.

For more aggressive
White handle I1 stamped Eversharp Schick or I2 Hydro-magic which are the same shaver just one has a lever the other doesn't.

I'll do the J3 and J4 razors for the next 2 shaves instead then do a second pass with both white handle I1 razors to make sure the results are the same.

I put in my shave today with the I2. This one is a golden head one that has the longer hydro-magic lever. That I2 and the white handle Eversharp Schick I1 are for all practical purposes the same razor just one has the hydro-magic lever for cleaning the other doesn't.

So to summarize so far the three I1 razors are different with the I2 being the same as the White handle I1 stamped Eversharp Schick and the black handle I1 stamped Schick being the same as a J2.

max blade exposure

Min blade exposure
Black Handle I1 or J2 depending which handle style you like since both are the same shaver.

For more aggressive
White handle I1 stamped Eversharp Schick or I2 Hydro-magic which are the same shaver just one has a lever the other doesn't.

I'll do the J3 and J4 razors for the next 2 shaves instead then do a second pass with both white handle I1 razors to make sure the results are the same.
Nice. Keep us informed. Thanks for the reviews

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Well I took the feeler gauges out for doing gap measurements on some new razors that I will be doing some testing in the next few weeks and decided to measure the Gap on my I2 model and compare it to the E2 Schick and I found the gap to be similar in measurements( the measurement is taken at the same plane of the blade seat base plate). The gap on these two razors are .017 thousands +-.001 thousands of a inch.
So people who own the two razors and mentioned they receive very close similar shaves are correct IMO. A good operator of the razors could get close to identical shaves IMO.
Safety_Razor_Parameters_around_Blade_Cutting_Edge (1).jpg
Have some great shaves!

Well I took the feeler gauges out for doing gap measurements on some new razors that I will be doing some testing in the next few weeks and decided to measure the Gap on my I2 model and compare it to the E2 Schick and I found the gap to be similar in measurements( the measurement is taken at the same plane of the blade seat base plate). The gap on these two razors are .017 thousands +-.001 thousands of a inch.
So people who own the two razors and mentioned they receive very close similar shaves are correct IMO. A good operator of the razors could get close to identical shaves IMO.
View attachment 1009199
Have some great shaves!
That assumes exposure is identical. Which may be the case with some variants but not others , my E2s are both way more blade forward than my I2 .

Speaking hypothetically, if the head was tweaked at some point you would expect the "shower shaver" J from '59 on would have greater gap but less exposure to facilitate more casual but safer usage.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
That assumes exposure is identical. Which may be the case with some variants but not others , my E2s are both way more blade forward than my I2 .

Speaking hypothetically, if the head was tweaked at some point you would expect the "shower shaver" J from '59 on would have greater gap but less exposure to facilitate more casual but safer usage.

I checked with my E2 and i2 and thought they would show a difference in safety bar thickness or something obvious but have not measured anything significant, blade reveal are almost identical other than the lengths of handle being different and of the two the i2 is the longer one. They do shave close to the same IMO.
Schick e2 to i2 comparrison (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

I checked with my E2 and i2 and thought they would show a difference in safety bar thickness or something obvious but have not measured anything significant, blade reveal are almost identical other than the lengths of handle being different and of the two the i2 is the longer one. They do shave close to the same IMO.
View attachment 1009213
Have some great shaves!
There are multiple E2 variants as I'm sure you know. My E2 breezes through stubble on the back of my head where the I2 fails.

I previously opined that the I-1 and J-1 seem to shave the same to me. For the record they both have white handles and are stamped "Schick Safety Razor". Visually the heads look identical with the same blade exposure. Tough to tell by eye whether the blade gaps match.

I previously opined that the I-1 and J-1 seem to shave the same to me. For the record they both have white handles and are stamped "Schick Safety Razor". Visually the heads look identical with the same blade exposure. Tough to tell by eye whether the blade gaps match.

It is very possible that they are same razor with different handles in this case like the black handle I1 and black handle J2 razors. Unfortunately I don't have any J1 razors to test right now.

Though if I had to make a guess based upon what razors have been tested if they follow suite then a J1 with Eversharp Schick stamped on the razor head should be similar to the same shaver as the white handle Eversharp Schick I1 and the I1 and J1 razors stamped with Schick Safety Razor on the head also being the same.

Once I get through the J3/4 razors I'll be able to write an updated revision that works within the original Appleby Schick designations that also includes the J1 razors pending testing.

1954 it is for the all new Hydro-magic. Ad from Life magazine, May 1954 and the ad also has a 1954 copyright in it.
i21954.jpeg

J4 shave done. Razor head on my J4 is stamped Eversharp Hydro-magic just like an I2 and for all practical purposes they are the same shaver with different handles.

J3 is up tomorrow and pending how it performs will determine which I1 white handle razor I use afterwards to compare. Right now my expectation is the J3 Golden 500 should be similar to the white handle I1 stamped Schick Safety Razor.

J3 shave done. I have to say this might have unseated the I2 as my favorite of the I and J injectors. First off this razor is a distinctly different shaver from the rest of the I and J models. It is like a finely tuned I2 or J4. First difference is the blade feel, it is apparent the are not the same for starters. Secondly if the I2 or J4 is a more aggressive razor the J3 though not as aggressive is more efficient. End result it performs just as well if not better than the I2 but with less feedback on the alum block.

This one will be getting a full blade progression shave for sure. No need to even compare this to the J1 that says Schick Safety razor stamped on the head. They are not even in the same ballpark as far as closeness or blade feel.

To add one more razor for testing I finally acquired and shaved with a J1 which is stamped Eversharp Schick.
End result this one is the same as the I2 and white handle I1 that also stamped Eversharp Schick.

Finally tally on tested razors.

For milder depending blade expose
max blade exposure

Min blade exposure
Black Handle I1 or J2 depending which handle style you like since both are the same shaver and both stamped Schick.

For more aggressive
less efficient
White handle I1 stamped Eversharp Schick, J1 stamped Eversharp Schick, J4 or I2 Hydro-magic.

more efficient
J3 Golden 500

Only razor not tested but should fall under milder / max blade exposure is the the white handle J1 that is stamped Schick Safety Razor.

My personal favorite is the J3 but I could get by just fine if I never had one and had to use an I2 or equivalent instead.

To add one more razor for testing I finally acquired and shaved with a J1 which is stamped Eversharp Schick.
End result this one is the same as the I2 and white handle I1 that also stamped Eversharp Schick.

Finally tally on tested razors.

For milder depending blade expose
max blade exposure

Min blade exposure
Black Handle I1 or J2 depending which handle style you like since both are the same shaver and both stamped Schick.

For more aggressive
less efficient
White handle I1 stamped Eversharp Schick, J1 stamped Eversharp Schick, J4 or I2 Hydro-magic.

more efficient
J3 Golden 500

Only razor not tested but should fall under milder / max blade exposure is the the white handle J1 that is stamped Schick Safety Razor.

My personal favorite is the J3 but I could get by just fine if I never had one and had to use an I2 or equivalent instead.
That’s a great review! Thanks.

Top Bottom