What's new

Schick Hydro 3 and 5

Well gents.. I went into a CVS, Wal-greens, and Rite-Aid today and noticed the staff un-packing and placing the new revolutionary shaving system for sale today. Gotta say it looks like a childs toy. :thumbdown. I guess this is why they are getting rid of trac II, atra pivot blades, and injector blades (generic) for this awesome sytem....not.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/cata...prod6016281&navCount=0&navAction=push-product

So no one is going to try these and review them?

Not unless someone wants to provide me with a razor, and a couple of blades at zero cost to me (but even then there would be a cost involved for me: the cost of missing out on superior shaves; we only have so many wonderful shaves to experience in our lifetimes!).

Not unless someone wants to provide me with a razor, and a couple of blades at zero cost to me (but even then there would be a cost involved for me: the cost of missing out on superior shaves; we only have so many wonderful shaves to experience in our lifetimes!).

Totally agree, they appear to be on sale at those locations with a promotion coupon to get you hooked. Than they will kill you with the cost of carts. I will only try it if one comes in the mail for free. Outside of that I will not use one.

I would be happy to try and review a free sample. Might even try one if there were some super cheap introductory price. I'm curious about these things, even if I don't have high expectations for them. Would not pay their regular prices, though.

Schick Injectors are my favorite razors over all. The Schick Krona is an excellent DE razor. To be fair, though, if Schick had just stuck with these classics, and hadn't "innovated", Gillette marketing probably would have driven them out of business long ago.

I'll admit to some curiosity about these razors. I have a business trip coming up in a couple of weeks and I'll need to make a stop at Walgreens before I go anyway, so I might pick one up for the trip and see what they're like if the price is right. You never know for sure until you try...

When I first saw this post, I thought it was going to be about the Schick Hydro-Magic injector razors from the 1950's. Instead, it's something "new" that, with its blades that are probably incompatible with anything else, may kick out the Trac II and Atra blades from the shelves, not to mention the FX Diamond and Tracer blades.

Last edited:
Schick Injectors are my favorite razors over all. The Schick Krona is an excellent DE razor. .

I, too, like the injectors and the Krona quite well.

And give Schick credit for introducing a new 3-blader at the same time as their new 5-blader. They must know that there is some backlash against the idea of having 5 blades.

I bought one Gents and i'm going to try it. I've been using the Bic Metal and still getting ingrown hairs so I thought what the he**, i'll give it a try. I'll let everyone know how it works.

I bought the 3 blade. Testing in progress. 2 days in but I want to give it a good week or so before I sum anything up...to be fair. And i'm cycling various shave preps just to see how they perform with the "lube strip".

I bought one today at Walgreens. On sale for $7.99 with
a $5.00 coupon towards any future purchase.
Figured ut was worth a $2.99 risk.
Will try for a week sometime soon

I don't think a multi-blade rig is going to save you from ingrowns. If you want a cartridge razor, try the Bump Fighter cartridges that fit in a Trac II. They even sell a handle that works with all Trac II carts.

I don't think a multi-blade rig is going to save you from ingrowns. If you want a cartridge razor, try the Bump Fighter cartridges that fit in a Trac II. They even sell a handle that works with all Trac II carts.

I totally agree with ur statement, but the Walgreens, CVS, and Rite-Aid in my area are getting rid of there Trac II and Atra house brands altogether along with the injector blades (ASR's).

I bought one Gents and i'm going to try it. I've been using the Bic Metal and still getting ingrown hairs so I thought what the he**, i'll give it a try. I'll let everyone know how it works.

bic metal? those things are awful. i got a better shave using a chunk of pavement from the NJ turnpike.

I have to admit I was curious about the gel reserve thing on this razor, so I bought one, I bought a 3 blade one.

As far as cartridge razors go, this is a good one in my humble opinion. The gel reservoir does have a lot of lubricant, it's like a lube strip on steroids. This stuff, with Cremo Cream, gave me a really comforatble shave, even against the grain, with no irritation.

Now, it still left me with a couple of ingrowns but not as bad as other cartridge razors. If you have problems with ingrown hairs this isn't going to solve them. I think this is a good razor to have around for those quick shaves when time is a factor.

The cartridges aren't as cheap as a pack of DE blades, but they are not terribly expensive either. I can get 4 cartridges for 7.50 USD, which is pretty expeinsive but not as bad as, say, a pack of fusion cartridges.

To date, I have not found anything that works for me as well as a DE, and I don't think anything will replace it anytime soon. However, I'll keep this razor along with a pack of cartridges handy for quickie shaves or traveling.

Top Bottom