What's new

Schick Golden 500 on the Way

Ive never had an injector type and wanted to find one that appeals visually. The Golden 500 fit perfectly.

Does anyone use one?

The Golden 500 is a J Type Schick Injector. Good made-in-China Schick Injector blades can be found on Amazon or at some independent drug stores. It's a somewhat mild shaver with a long handle, which also will take twin injector blades if you need to increase the aggression. The twin blades are no longer made, but new old stock twin blades can be found on ebay from time to time. It also has the Hydro-magic lever that will facilitate cleaning. That's a innovative feature, but is not really necessary as the interior of the head is scraped clean every time a blade is ejected and a new blade is loaded. The Golden 500 a good razor if you want a long handle and if it's aggressive enough for you. Let us know how you like it. BTW the blades are long lasting. Expect to get 15 or more shaves per blade.

The Golden 500 is a J Type Schick Injector. Good made-in-China Schick Injector blades can be found on Amazon or at some independent drug stores. It's a somewhat mild shaver with a long handle, which also will take twin injector blades if you need to increase the aggression. The twin blades are no longer made, but new old stock twin blades can be found on ebay from time to time. It also has the Hydro-magic lever that will facilitate cleaning. That's a innovative feature, but is not really necessary as the interior of the head is scraped clean every time a blade is ejected and a new blade is loaded. The Golden 500 a good razor if you want a long handle and if it's aggressive enough for you. Let us know how you like it. BTW the blades are long lasting. Expect to get 15 or more shaves per blade.

Thank you and did not know twin injector blades were even available or applicable with this razor. I just was looking for a new experience after the GEM Micromatic and 1912.

Thank you and did not know twin injector blades were even available or applicable with this razor. I just was looking for a new experience after the GEM Micromatic and 1912.

Two corrections: Twin blades are still being made in Japan; available but pricey. They are, however, not compatible with razors with the HydroMagic feature, like the 500.

Twin blades in a non-HydroMagic razor are a special joy, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Two corrections: Twin blades are still being made in Japan; available but pricey. They are, however, not compatible with razors with the HydroMagic feature, like the 500.

Twin blades in a non-HydroMagic razor are a special joy, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
As always, thank you for you vast experiences. :)

From the seller.

Golden1.JPG
Golden2.JPG

That is a nice razor and will give you good shaves. As already stated, the J model is a mild razor. Some people love the long handle, while others detest it. Don’t try to load a twin blade. Besides, the single Schick blades work fine in it. I have a Golden 500 and really enjoy it.

That is a nice razor and will give you good shaves. As already stated, the J model is a mild razor. Some people love the long handle, while others detest it. Don’t try to load a twin blade. Besides, the single Schick blades work fine in it. I have a Golden 500 and really enjoy it.

Thanks for advice on the blades. The seller loaded a blank and is sending some new ones. Do these blades last longer than DE blades?

Also, do I need to periodically open the razor for cleaning or is it right that loading blades clean appropriately?

I find the made in China Schick blades to last longer than DE blades. I can get 10 to 12 shaves out of the Schick versus 5 from a DE.

I think I opened the hydra magic lever maybe 3 or 4 times when shaving and it was more out of curiosity. I’ve yet to have the razor clog up, so I never really needed to use it. However, it is a very cool feature and allows you to rinse the blade and surrounding area.

Just a mild clarification... there is also a non-HydroMagic J razor. It has a slightly shorter handle (usually, but not always) white or cream. Those will take a Twin blade just fine.

Thanks for advice on the blades. The seller loaded a blank and is sending some new ones. Do these blades last longer than DE blades?

Also, do I need to periodically open the razor for cleaning or is it right that loading blades clean appropriately?

Injector blades last much longer than DE blades. I frequently get more than 25 shaves from the Chinese Schick blades and 12 or more shaves from the American Personna blades. Some vintage blades (Personna P74) have given me almost 50 shaves in my own Schick 500. I currently have 77 shaves on one of the (admittedly expensive) Japanese twin blades, and it still produces BBS shaves. As mentioned above, do not try to use a twin blade in your Golden 500.

IMHO, the Hydro-magic feature was a marketing gimmick to increase sales. I have shaved with almost all of the Schick injectors produced since 1935, and have never had to do anything beyond rinsing under hot tap water after each shave. The act of injecting a new blade while ejecting an old blade completely cleans out the razor.

Injector blades last much longer than DE blades. I frequently get more than 25 shaves from the Chinese Schick blades and 12 or more shaves from the American Personna blades. Some vintage blades (Personna P74) have given me almost 50 shaves in my own Schick 500. I currently have 77 shaves on one of the (admittedly expensive) Japanese twin blades, and it still produces BBS shaves. As mentioned above, do not try to use a twin blade in your Golden 500.

IMHO, the Hydro-magic feature was a marketing gimmick to increase sales. I have shaved with almost all of the Schick injectors produced since 1935, and have never had to do anything beyond rinsing under hot tap water after each shave. The act of injecting a new blade while ejecting an old blade completely cleans out the razor.
Excellent sir and thank you as always:)

Two corrections for my earlier #2 post.

I momentarily had forgotten you said your incoming Type J razor had the Hydro-magic lever feature. As others have correctly stated, twin blades will not fit in the injector razors with the Hydro-magic lever. Neither are they recommended in razors earlier than the Type I. But twin blades are superb in the milder regular injector razors Type I through O, that do not have the Hydro-magic feature, especially if one has a coarse beard. Some long handled Type J's are Hydro-magic, and some are not. Mine does not have that feature.

Also twin blades that I have experience with are NOS American Schick twin blades. I don't think China makes twin blades, but they do make outstanding regular injector blades. Japan makes twin blades, but as mentioned earlier they are super expensive.

Hope this clarifies, and I regret the confusion I may have generated.

Last edited:
Two corrections for my earlier #2 post.

I momentarily had forgotten you said your incoming Type J razor had the Hydro-magic lever feature. As others have correctly stated, twin blades will not fit in the injector razors with the Hydro-magic lever. Neither are they recommended in razors earlier than the Type I. But twin blades are superb in the milder regular injector razors Type I through O, that do not have the Hydro-magic feature, especially if one has a coarse beard. Some long handled Type J's are Hydro-magic, and some are not. Mine does not have that feature.

Also twin blades that I have experience with are NOS American Schick twin blades. I don't think China makes twin blades, but they do make outstanding regular injector blades. Japan makes twin blades, but as mentioned earlier they are super expensive.

Hope this clarifies, and I regret the confusion I may have generated.
Not a problem. I found some Schick brand on Amazon with steel insertion key.

I plan to use the Gold 500 tomorrow morning. I don't recall using a injector before, but I may have since my grandfather had a bunch of razors laying around.

I have a Golden 500 with the Hydro-magic feature. I use the new twin blades in it because I tried it before I read not to. And guess what, they work great in it. I get some of my greatest shaves with it. Later someone told me it is ok to use them as long as you don't try to use the Hydro-Magic feature with them in it. Whatever.

Top Bottom