What's new

Schick Golden 500 on the Way

I have a Golden 500 with the Hydro-magic feature. I use the new twin blades in it because I tried it before I read not to. And guess what, they work great in it. I get some of my greatest shaves with it. Later someone told me it is ok to use them as long as you don't try to use the Hydro-Magic feature with them in it. Whatever.

The problem with the twin blades is that they don't have the two slots in them that allow the two pins of the Hydro-Magic system to pass through. Those pins are to retain the blade when the razor is opened. As long as you don't use the Hydro-Magic feature, you can use twin in the 500.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The problem with the twin blades is that they don't have the two slots in them that allow the two pins of the Hydro-Magic system to pass through. Those pins are to retain the blade when the razor is opened. As long as you don't use the Hydro-Magic feature, you can use twin in the 500.

Thanks, Steve. Great bit of information.

The Golden 500 is a beauty!! This one will not accept the twin blades but is awesome regardless.

I sold mine because the handle was too long for me. I prefer the shorter I2 Hydro-Magic.

proxy.php

Enjoy! It’s quite a piece of art and engineering!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Golden 500 is a beauty!! This one will not accept the twin blades but is awesome regardless.

I sold mine because the handle was too long for me. I prefer the shorter I2 Hydro-Magic.

proxy.php

Enjoy! It’s quite a piece of art and engineering!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ll need to look for a Hydro-Magic. Thank you.

Think I will take the Golden 500 out for another shave tomorrow morning. It was about as enjoyable of a shave ever the first time. Schick got it right making their handles long. I find I really like it better for ATG on my neck. This is a beautiful design to me.

And a E type if you don't open, correct? Not interested in trying, but just curious.

The reason that you shouldn't use twin blades in a Type E (or G) is that the spring isn't as strong as in the Type I and later razors. The twin blade, being thicker than a normal blade, can tend to stress the spring and make it weaker. Thus, over time, the head can loosen and may not hold the blade as securely.

The reason that you shouldn't use twin blades in a Type E (or G) is that the spring isn't as strong as in the Type I and later razors. The twin blade, being thicker than a normal blade, can tend to stress the spring and make it weaker. Thus, over time, the head can loosen and may not hold the blade as securely.
Yes sir, that makes sense. Thank you

Top Bottom