What's new

Schick F- which blades should you use?

I picked up a type F here. It was pricey but I have been looking for years so..
Anyway- when reading about type F people says it could be pretty hard to load without dulling the blade.
Chinese Schicks are well regarded it seems.
Is this because of the key?
I got lots of vintage blades but should you stay clear of them altogheter? Any tricks and hints when loading?
I would rather ask this so I can have a good start instead of fiddling around that much. I am familiar with other injectors and have no issues when loading them.
Thanks!

I picked up a type F here. It was pricey but I have been looking for years so..
Anyway- when reading about type F people says it could be pretty hard to load without dulling the blade.
Chinese Schicks are well regarded it seems.
Is this because of the key?
I got lots of vintage blades but should you stay clear of them altogheter? Any tricks and hints when loading?
I would rather ask this so I can have a good start instead of fiddling around that much. I am familiar with other injectors and have no issues when loading them.
Thanks!
Vintage Stainless Schicks will probably work fine , I've used them with great success but I'd pass on anything else vintage.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I have a Personna in mine and I went through a couple of blades before I got one in the razor without running it against the stop. Watch the bade going in.

I learned it the hard way that modern injector keys from schick or personna are much thinner and will damage the blade as you push it in. Most vintage injector keys are also thin.

I scavenged through my injector stuff and found an older injector case with a relatively thicker key.

I push a modern blade in to this empty injector casing, push the key inside and also twist it right so it creates sufficient gap to push the blade in without scraping the blade edge against the blade stops. Gently and slowly.

It works well.

I learned it the hard way that modern injector keys from schick or personna are much thinner and will damage the blade as you push it in. Most vintage injector keys are also thin.

I scavenged through my injector stuff and found an older injector case with a relatively thicker key.

I push a modern blade in to this empty injector casing, push the key inside and also twist it right so it creates sufficient gap to push the blade in without scraping the blade edge against the blade stops. Gently and slowly.

It works well.
I'm going to try this next time! Thanks!

It works well.

Lastly, so the key of it all is to find a thicker key?

I need to have a stern look into my vintage stash. I got quite a bunch if I recall it correctly. Do you bother to re-load them with any particular favs or do you just call it a day when done?

Chinese Schicks (“Chicks”) only. They are much sharper than the Personnas or Pellas and have a thicker, full-size key

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems

I need to have a stern look into my vintage stash. I got quite a bunch if I recall it correctly. Do you bother to re-load them with any particular favs or do you just call it a day when done?
I would say the secret is the twist (or in my case it's a applying lateral pressure towards the back of the razor head....basically, you're trying to not slide the blade against the blade stops as it pushes through. It will get close to the stops, but I'm careful to try and keep it from actually touching and potentially fouling the edge. It probably sounds more complicated than it really is; what you're trying to do is pay attention and the mechanics will be pretty straight forward....the challenge for many is that they "believe the marketing" and just slide in the key and push the plunger without paying much attention as to how the blade is sliding through.

As to blade keys and all, I just use the yellow packaged modern Schicks that you can get from any online retailer store and/or some mom-and-pop drug stores. These are commonly called "Chicks" since they are Chinese-made Schicks. I use them because frankly I get better and more shaves (always over 10, usually close to 20) with them.

Good job with that F -- I know it wasn't cheap, but it was actually a pretty fair price (I actually considered picking it up for a spare), especially if you've "shopped around" on the big auction site. It's a good shaver, but frankly its story combined with its "look" is why it will always stay in my den. I can get as good (or even slightly better) of a shave with models that came before and after it, but none of them can really match that sexiness of the F (IMO).

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'd use the Chicks - and if you just pay a little attention you needent load sacrifice blades first - I've never been convinced having one loaded prevents a problem. If you look closely and don' t drag the new one across the stops it will be fine, if ham handedness is your thing any of the options may go awry. I've put older blades & modern P-20s both into unloaded razors and used injectors without an issue.

I use both chick's and personnas. Personna casing is plastic and the key is much thinner. I eject a blade and push it in to the vintage Schick Injector blade case by lowering the spring tension bar from the side using a toothpick.

The chick blade key is thicker compared to the personna. Its all metal will not crack and break when you do that firm right twist and push after inserting the key.

I got the razor and loaded according to @Flintstone65 advice by twisting the razor slightly when injecting a fresh blade (chinese Schick) It went perfect.
The shave was spectacular btw. Smoother then the E and just as efficent. I guess the type F just sailed up to be my favourite injector.
proxy.php

D

dangerousrazor

I got the razor and loaded according to @Flintstone65 advice by twisting the razor slightly when injecting a fresh blade (chinese Schick) It went perfect.
The shave was spectacular btw. Smoother then the E and just as efficent. I guess the type F just sailed up to be my favourite injector.
proxy.php

Good to hear you enjoyed your shaving! :)

I bought a Type F excited to use it/display it but doesn’t fit in my stand! Beautiful looking razor! If anyone is looking for one shoot me an offer.

Saw this thread and found it interesting.
I recently picked up a 20 pack magazine of Tedd Pella, and was a bit apprehensive about loading them because of what I’d read. When I received them, they loaded great, no issues. When I compared the injectors, the Ted Pellas injector and assembly, including the key, was thicker and I dare say more solid than the sChick injector.

Maybe the Personnas are flimsy, but the Ted Pellas I have are not. I’m including pics below, of both the TPs and the sChicks.
F0CE198C-FC44-4B42-9934-856C206A081C.jpeg
003D2311-5292-4876-BA78-398D08B015B8.jpeg
5E7C4B9F-8D42-45DB-AD59-507100C997EF.jpeg
FABF993C-2B77-4CD4-B823-5AA52B722946.jpeg

I recently picked up a 20 pack magazine of Tedd Pella, and was a bit apprehensive about loading them because of what I’d read. When I received them, they loaded great, no issues. When I compared the injectors, the Ted Pellas injector and assembly, including the key, was thicker and I dare say more solid than the sChick injector.

Maybe the Personnas are flimsy, but the Ted Pellas I have are not. I’m including pics below, of both the TPs and the sChicks.View attachment 1328313View attachment 1328314View attachment 1328315View attachment 1328316
It's the slider that bends on the Personna, not the key. It can work just fine in some razors but if the going gets a bit stiff it overrides the blade.

Maybe the Personnas are flimsy, but the Ted Pellas I have are not. I’m including pics below, of both the TPs and the sChicks.View attachment 1328313View attachment 1328314View attachment 1328315View attachment 1328316
I use the Ted Pellas and have never had any kind of problem. I've never been able to figure out what people are talking about with this thinner injector Key nonsense.
I've never had the slider get hung up either. It seems to me that would be a problem of the old blade that's being ejected being hung up on the stops.
Now if you are going to bad mouth a Personna injector, here is the model that is fair to bad mouth. 1950s, totally plastic, even the key, which is partly snapped off.
1631732979800.png

Last edited:
It seems to me that would be a problem of the old blade that's being ejected being hung up on the stops.
Or the spring in the razor a bit strong. I have been using Personna blades off and on since the 1970s in my L1 and it was occasionally a problem.

I got a few empty Chick cartridges. Is it worth loading Prolines? If so which? P or B?
I have one or two of the Chicks in my stash and I keep them closer to my esteem than the old stock Europeans as my F goes to be frank.

Getting Chicks to Europe these days is a bit costly but if it’s worth it I’ll keep keepin on..

Top Bottom