What's new

Schick DE blades

With Schick being a major player in the wet shaving world, why are these blades not more widely available??? I found these on bundubeard.co.za. Blades made in Germany, but only South African contact number/website mentioned on the box. And even the website doesn't reveal a trace of these blades...

Attachments

• Scan 112.png
    Scan 112.png
    453.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Scan 113.png
    Scan 113.png
    221.7 KB · Views: 57
Edgewell owns Schick, Wilkinson Sword and the Israeli/German version of Personna so it's probably case of them marketing each brand where it is most recognisable. If Wilkinson Sword or Personna are selling well in a certain region, there's no real benefit to them selling another brand in the same region.

Edgewell owns Schick, Wilkinson Sword and the Israeli/German version of Personna so it's probably case of them marketing each brand where it is most recognisable. If Wilkinson Sword or Personna are selling well in a certain region, there's no real benefit to them selling another brand in the same region.

Indeed, but also depends on who owns the brand name in a given region. Gillette owns the Wilkinson Sword brand in several areas.

Seems SA is not the only place they sell in cardboard packaging-

JAPANESE:

1619212831709.png

CHINESE:
1619213353017.png

SOUTH AMERICA:
1619213439864.png

1619213470542.png

Back when I was still using modern blades there was a Schick offering that came in dispensers still on a yellow hang card. They were very good, considering. There are plenty of vintage Schicks that I use now,, carbon and stainless, but that's a horse of another color.

Indeed, but also depends on who owns the brand name in a given region. Gillette owns the Wilkinson Sword brand in several areas.

Seems SA is not the only place they sell in cardboard packaging-

JAPANESE:

View attachment 1255993

CHINESE:
View attachment 1255996

SOUTH AMERICA:
View attachment 1255997
View attachment 1255998
As far as I am aware, the Schick brand doesn't have a split ownership like Wilkinson Sword (which Gillette bought as a whole then had to sell off parts of due to competition laws). Globally I believe Schick is their main brand with Wilkinson Sword being more Europe focused (at least that's my understanding of it).

Personna, Schick and Wilkinson Sword were all part of Energizer Holdings at one time (they may still be) so, I would think that these blades maybe re-boxed Personnas.

There is still some separation between the Schick business (aka Wilkinson Sword in the US and Western Europe and perhaps elsewhere) and the Personna business. It’s possible for US stores to order either WS branded blades or private label blades, the latter of which came from the Personna division, and they are not the same blades.

The two were under separate ownership until Edgewell bought ASR in 2010. I would not expect to find any Personna blade with the Schick name or vice versa, though I suppose things might be different outside of the US market.

A few years ago the German made Wilkinson were sold in Russia as Schick Premium. But in the last years Energizer suddenly decided to switch to marketing Wilkinson instead.

A few years ago the German made Wilkinson were sold in Russia as Schick Premium. But in the last years Energizer suddenly decided to switch to marketing Wilkinson instead.

Right, forgot about those. Had seen them on the shelf in Ukraine.

1619363540283.png

1619363565475.png

Schick is the worse blade that I have tried.

You, my friend, must have led a protected, charmed life.

One day, try shaving with a Flying Eagle carbon steel double edge blade.

I never did determine exactly why any company would make such a truly awful blade; it is a Chinese company, I was in China, China is inscrutable, and if you ask the Chinese a direct question of even the slightest sensitivity you rarely get a direct answer.

But I have come up with a hypothesis regarding why a manufacturer of good razor blades would also make at least one terrible razor blade:

The BigSpender Theory of the Utility of Making an Awful Razor Blade: If you sell someone a truly awful razor blade, they will gladly pay extra for your mediocre blades, which they will think are fantastic by comparison because they can actually shave with them without doing a 24-pass shave.

On the other hand, since I happened upon the Flying Eagle carbon steel double edge blades in a stationery/arts and crafts store, it is just possible these blades were never intended for shaving, which every Chinese knows of course, perhaps.

While we're in the general vicinity, please do not bother trying the Chinese Schick blades in the name of adventure and open-mindedness, even if you are in China. And especially if you are in China, as they are way overpriced in stores like Tesco. They are the most precisely calculated mediocre blades, just barely useable enough for someone naïve enough to buy. The Chinese Gillette blades are even more expensive because of the famous name and even worse.

There was one blade I bought in China that was even worse than the Flying Eagle carbon steel double edge blades: BIC. They were nearly all counterfeit. The printing on the packages was perfect. They are apparently still making these counterfeit BICs, and selling them abroad. Even though they are utterly worthless, apparently many customers still give them 5-star reviews, for a simple reason: everyone else gave them glowing reviews. All the seller needs to do is a little seeding.

Schick, like Wilkinson, is just a ghost name now, to forever wander the world cohabitating a hodgepodge of brands here and there, now and then, to the eternal puzzlement of enquiring shavers, or as long as their trademarks endure.

The BigSpender Theory of the Utility of Making an Awful Razor Blade: If you sell someone a truly awful razor blade, they will gladly pay extra for your mediocre blades, which they will think are fantastic by comparison because they can actually shave with them…

You may be onto something!! :sob: :sob:

Top Bottom