What's new

Schick Adjustable

I just received my new Schick Adjustable and I am confused as to whether it is an M2 or a M3 version. My searches seem to turn up conflicting information. I think it is an M3, but can anyone verify that? This type seems to an in between type.
20191012_121606.jpg

20191012_121620.jpg

You have an M3
The references used have the order and dates all wrong.

The actual production order and dates are the following based upon my research.
M1 1964 - 1969
M3 1970 - 1973
M2 1973 - 1982

The reason for the change from the M1 to the M3 has to do with Warner Lambert taking control of the Schick brand from Eversharp in 1970.

The M2 was also referred to as the protector and the reason why is it incorporated a new feature into the razor that allowed you lock the guard so you couldn't cut yourself with blade edge.

Last edited:
I see now at least part of my confusion, M3 predates the M2! Well, I now have Schick injectors from the 30s, 40s, 50s, and 70s. I guess I should fill in that gap with a J or an L.

Thanks for the info!

I paid more than I probably should have, but it is in really nice condition. It has a bit more heft than I expected. I will start it on three and see how it goes.

The M1 didn't have the guard/blade lock? - I might be incorrectly referring to my M2 as an M1, as it does have the switch to raise the guard to block/protect the blade edge. (Great feature for traveling, it keeps the blade from getting dulled by hitting anything else in your bag).

Why did they age them in that order, the M2 is really newer than the M3, using the above chart. - Oh well

The M1 didn't have the guard/blade lock? - I might be incorrectly referring to my M2 as an M1, as it does have the switch to raise the guard to block/protect the blade edge. (Great feature for traveling, it keeps the blade from getting dulled by hitting anything else in your bag).

Why did they age them in that order, the M2 is really newer than the M3, using the above chart. - Oh well

The designations were done over 10 years ago and I assume Appleby did them in order of how he discovered each through his own research. That information hasn't been updated at least 10 years and the sites out there now are copies of the original information since Appleby's orignal website with the injector information is no longer online.

I've updated a lot of this information myself elsewhere on another forum by buying and using the razors and researching the old print advertising records but haven't posted it here yet. I'd post the link to the information but the mods will probably delete it. If anyone wants the link pm me.

According to this site (razors.click - Schick Identification - https://www.razors.click/safetyrazors.net/SchickTech/), the M1 has "Schick Dial" on the handle, and no dot on the dial. The M2 has "Adjustable by Schick," with dot and cross on the dial. The M3 has a black dot on the dial and "Schick Adjustable " on the handle.

That said, I think they mixed and matched parts. My Schick Adjustable came in a yellow blister pack with twin injector blades. The dial-side looks like the one in the photo, but it has the blade guard, which moved the safety bar up when the razor isn't in use.

According to this site (razors.click - Schick Identification - https://www.razors.click/safetyrazors.net/SchickTech/), the M1 has "Schick Dial" on the handle, and no dot on the dial. The M2 has "Adjustable by Schick," with dot and cross on the dial. The M3 has a black dot on the dial and "Schick Adjustable " on the handle.

That said, I think they mixed and matched parts. My Schick Adjustable came in a yellow blister pack with twin injector blades. The dial-side looks like the one in the photo, but it has the blade guard, which moved the safety bar up when the razor isn't in use.

The dial on the M1 and M3 are identical marking wise. That is what happens when people copy information verboten. The only the sticker on the handle is different.

here is an M1
m1sch.jpg

here is an M3
m3sch.jpg

What is supposed to be different mechanically and I don't have both to verify so if someone else wants to is the way the dial works was changed aka the spring and stop mechanism on the dial itself which can't be spotted visually from pictures.

The M2 came last and besides the dial and handle sticker being different the blade it is the only Type M that came with the blade guard that was termed the Protector as seen in the picture above.

Last edited:
My Schick Adjustable has the following:

1. Dial and lettering as seen in the first photo.
2. The Protector as seen in the second.

I also clearly remember that it came in a yellow blister pack with twin injector blades. I purchased it at a discount store, and debated whether to buy that razor or a DE. Time was in the mid 1970s.

I've never tossed a non-disposable razor, but what kept me going back to this one was that blade guard made it ideal as a travel razor. Just close the guard and put in my toiletry bag. I stopped that only when I realized it had become rare, and didn't want to lose it. Went back to it several years ago.

Well, I can't speak to the historical points but I can verify that this is one great razor. I tried it this morning on three and it harkened back to my first Schick L which I bought in the 70s and used for over 20 years. After the first pass I was pretty much good to go but I continued with my usual three pass shave. This could become my favorite, but the I think the same each time I rotate to a new Schick.

I should also add that it should be verbatim not verboten, speel checker screwed up.

And yes they are great razors, all far as I know shave the same regardless of variant for the same setting.

My Schick Adjustable has the following:

1. Dial and lettering as seen in the first photo.
2. The Protector as seen in the second.

I also clearly remember that it came in a yellow blister pack with twin injector blades. I purchased it at a discount store, and debated whether to buy that razor or a DE. Time was in the mid 1970s.

I've never tossed a non-disposable razor, but what kept me going back to this one was that blade guard made it ideal as a travel razor. Just close the guard and put in my toiletry bag. I stopped that only when I realized it had become rare, and didn't want to lose it. Went back to it several years ago.

It still would qualify as an M2 since M2 razors were made from 1973 to 1982 and it has the blade guard on it. Very possible if it is a foreign market razor they recycled old stickers and such on the razors there. Gillette for example would sell discontinued excess inventory of parts and fully assembled razors for discontinued US made razors years afterwards in foreign markets like Australia. I wouldn't be surprised if Eversharp / Warner Lambert did the same.

I do also know Eversharp / Warner Lambert did produce razors under the Schick name that never were sold in the US but were sold in international markets like Europe and Canada.

This has to be one of the most updated and accurate timeline for Schick razors. I have to agree with @BBS-1 that your razor looks like a M3 like the one I own. You are going to be one happy person using that razor IMO.
Schick injectors - A comprehensive guide - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/schick-injectors-a-comprehensive-guide.567758/ if you want other information on Schicks.

View attachment 1026667

That information is the same old outdated stuff.
This has the most current revisions and I don't claim it to be fully correct. I need to still put up the I and J adverts which I have but just haven't gotten around to doing yet. For example that 1976 championship razor you have I need to find some documentation on since I only thought it was produced in 1972 and not also 1976. The 76 one most likely was a Canadian only razor.

and here for just I and J razors. I posted the I and J information here also on B&B but this thread has the most current revisions including a date timeline.

Last edited:
Go here and scroll down for what one collector says was the first incarnation of the Model M:
That first incarnation was a prototype with that big metal or plastic dial. It was never sold to the public.

Here are some more prototypes and at least one that I would say was a home made version.

The owner got these from a shave museum that closed down through a third party selling them on ebay.

This is the earliest instance of any Schick adjustable sold to the public I found dated to 1964.

You'll have to manually open the attachment to view the ad because of how it is formatted.

Attachments

• The_Indianapolis_Star_Fri__Sep_4__1964_rs.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Top Bottom