What's new

Schick Adjustable ‘fell apart’. Wasssup??

I spotted this shiny, clean M adjustable for $1.00. I didn’t inspect it too close at that price. Frankly, I was pretty excited and paid, snapped up the razor, and ran out the door. Which is the problem. As I was heading out I somehow managed to pitch firmly onto the concrete slab outside. Sigh. From elation to irritation in about ten seconds. I got it home and have never known if it was always like this, or if I killed it myself.

As it is my first and only adjustable, I can’t look At another to solve my problem. It is in three pieces and doesn’t seem to snap back together. It is as if there is a small pin missing, or??

Any Schick Adjustable repair savvy shaver have a thought?

Attachments

• F0A28FF7-A162-40A6-A8DB-2CFA30504731.jpeg
    F0A28FF7-A162-40A6-A8DB-2CFA30504731.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 56
  • 49859363-65E4-4C12-B5DD-5F948F2ACF4A.jpeg
    49859363-65E4-4C12-B5DD-5F948F2ACF4A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 55

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
You're right, unless it's a friction fit, you are definitely missing a pin or other locking mechanism. I'm probably the most non-mechanical guy on this (or any) forum, but I'll take a close look of my Schick adjustable and see if I can see anything helpful. I'll also post some pics to see if that helps. Whether you broke the razor, or it was on the verge, I'm glad to hear you didn't break any bones with that fall.

You're right, unless it's a friction fit, you are definitely missing a pin or other locking mechanism. I'm probably the most non-mechanical guy on this (or any) forum, but I'll take a close look of my Schick adjustable and see if I can see anything helpful. I'll also post some pics to see if that helps. Whether you broke the razor, or it was on the verge, I'm glad to hear you didn't break any bones with that fall.

thank you - a photo of the underside of the head frame would be great. Most folks who post prideful shots of their M Schick tend to always show off the perty knob on top. I haven’t found any decent belly shots.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
thank you - a photo of the underside of the head frame would be great. Most folks who post prideful shots of their M Schick tend to always show off the perty knob on top. I haven’t found any decent belly shots.
Understood and will do!!! I'll have them here tomorrow.

Consider your experience to be a $1 tuition payment in the school of life. I'm not optimistic the razor can or should be fixed. I'm a little surprised it came apart during your fall.

R

romsitsa

Hello, you have all the parts as far as I can tell. I only worked with non adjustable injectors and even those are a pain to reassemble as all parts act like springs.

Adam

I had a similar experience, bought a Schick L1 and it would not hold a blade. Posted question on how to fix and most replied not worth the hassles. I was fortunate that seller refunded $, was purchased on the Bay. Found another L1 and went on with life.

Thanks guys. These photos are definitely helpful.

it is a pretty straight forward design in some ways. But, I’m not sure what is the missing link here. Nothing appears missing, and it is reassembled as those above. But it just doesn’t hold tight. You can see the blade gap here and how off it is. The guard isn’t actually crooked, it just sits loose and is just hanging like that. I am thinking something is bent perhaps, but the pieces all appear intact and I just don’t see damage.

74D0B914-AA83-47FE-847F-9C0E7077ADC7.jpeg

It is helpful to see there isn‘t a pin in that small notch in the photos, as well as being able to see how far the spring tab sits in relation to the other bits. thnx again guys. But... so far it hasn’t come to me what might be the cause of the sloppy fit. Since the razor breaks into pieces I can see that has never been used. Perhaps it was always behaving like this!

I shall keep trying over the next cpl days - perhaps an epiphany will come my way.

thanks for the responses - much appreciated. The photos are a great help. And I’m not yet convinced it is a write off. Perhaps more of a Connecticut Conundrum.

Last edited:
Consider your experience to be a $1 tuition payment in the school of life. I'm not optimistic the razor can or should be fixed. I'm a little surprised it came apart during your fall.

That tuition expense sure does add up. I’ve probably spent untold thousands on learning lessons over the years and I don’t get the sense the spending is done yet either. I’m going to stay optimistic on this little fella though and keep the dollar for a small coffee instead! :c9:

R

romsitsa

Hello, I think the rectangle shape, holding the safety bar, was pryed up. It would explain why you could “easily” assemble it and why the safety bar is loose.

Adam

I don't know what the "loose" problem is, but these are possible issues to consider:

First, was everything tight when you bought it?

Is any part installed upside down?

Is a blade installed? (A blade should always be in an injector razor.)

Hello, I think the rectangle shape, holding the safety bar, was pryed up. It would explain why you could “easily” assemble it and why the safety bar is loose.

Adam

I’m starting to think this is indeed the explanation. I was looking for what might be missing because it almost seems too simple to hold it all together. but the rectangle does appear to be a spring clip of sorts and may be the issue as you say. The photos from Whiterook and Flintstone 65 helped determine the correct position/placement, but it is not tight when reassembled. You can see The spring tab in the photos below And how it slides up/down. Not sure how to bend it back or if that would help at this point. It might be that the assembly procedure used at manufacture is not doable at this point and the spring tab may well bend back when I try to reassemble it.

40028FF4-AA73-4EEC-AF7F-D3F659297400.jpeg

866F5E0B-C6CF-43BE-A6DD-7D37F3999544.jpeg

I don't know what the "loose" problem is, but these are possible issues to consider:

First, was everything tight when you bought it?

Is any part installed upside down?

Is a blade installed? (A blade should always be in an injector razor.)

i didn’t check it closely when I bought it. The parts only seem to go one way, so that helps, and I can match the alignment to the photos of the other razors above. I did try a blade hoping that would firm it all up, but it didn’t assist the frame to hold together.

Considering the photos and everyone’s thoughts so far, it seems the culprit is a bent/deformed spring tab. I will continue to fiddle, but my optimism factor is starting to drop. On the bright side, I have had a great chance to experience this razor’s internals. I am pretty sure I would not have busted one open to take a peek, and I would have always wondered.

So........I guess I have a Schick Adjustable Demonstrator model to display next to my one day to be found daily shaver model! The shame is, I have been keeping my eyes peeled for years for one of these darn things in the wild, and for a dollar? I thought my boat finally came in, and it wasn’t a Cruise ship either. But then again, a rare unused Demonstrator model? 🤓 Oh well, back to the hunt. And a dollar to my tuition debt.

R

romsitsa

Hm. I'd drill out the handle at the small circle, there should be the attachement point. Remove the head, bend back the "spring", reassemble the head and glue back the handle or make a new one.

Adam

i didn’t check it closely when I bought it. The parts only seem to go one way, so that helps, and I can match the alignment to the photos of the other razors above. I did try a blade hoping that would firm it all up, but it didn’t assist the frame to hold together.

Considering the photos and everyone’s thoughts so far, it seems the culprit is a bent/deformed spring tab. I will continue to fiddle, but my optimism factor is starting to drop. On the bright side, I have had a great chance to experience this razor’s internals. I am pretty sure I would not have busted one open to take a peek, and I would have always wondered.

So........I guess I have a Schick Adjustable Demonstrator model to display next to my one day to be found daily shaver model! The shame is, I have been keeping my eyes peeled for years for one of these darn things in the wild, and for a dollar? I thought my boat finally came in, and it wasn’t a Cruise ship either. But then again, a rare unused Demonstrator model? 🤓 Oh well, back to the hunt. And a dollar to my tuition debt.
Economy cruises often disappoint.

But you've learned some things, and this education only cost one dollar.

Hm. I'd drill out the handle at the small circle, there should be the attachement point. Remove the head, bend back the "spring", reassemble the head and glue back the handle or make a new one.

Adam
This may well be the only way forward. it would be satisfying to get it working again.

Adam

I have to thank you for thoughts. Your focus was spot on and encouraging. The patent describes the setup:

A CAM WHICH IS CONNECTED WITH THE FINGER PIECE FOR ROTATION WITH THE LATTER, A CAM FOLLOWER ON THE LOWER END OF THE GUARD MEMBER IN ENGAGEMENT WITH THE CAM, AND A SPRING IN ENGAGEMENT WITH THE GUARD MEMBER, WHICH SPRING PRESSES THE GUARD MEMBER AGAINST THE SEAT MEMBER, ACTS THROUGH THE GUARD MEMBER TO PRESS

The spring simply presses the guard to the head - that seemed the only answer. It still seemed too simple.

Rather than disassemble the handle I fashioned an L from a paper clip and was able to insert it behind the spring, creating a fulcrum to bend against. Worked well. Then a bit of #&$!!@ gentle fettling and........

3CEC1611-C5B9-4BCC-8405-8F6213B1D856.jpeg

It was quite a treat to have that shave just now. And since I now have a once used Schick Adjustable hanging around, I may as well toss it in the rotation for a few days and get a better impression of its shaveability. Thanks everybody. Walking through this with some interested folks got it done!

Some life lessons just take longer to unfold I guess. 😀

E320DA5C-DF81-4BD7-8CD6-9B344EC88DDA.jpeg

Top Bottom