What's new

Scheaffer Snorkel

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I really like the Snorkel and would like to restore two or three of them myself. Does anyone know of a good resource to buy them? If you look on eBay or antique stores everyone thinks they have working pens. I am not paying $80.00 for a Snorkel that needs rebuilt. Not sure I would pay $80.00 for one that was rebuilt. :smile1:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I don't know if $80 is a fair price for a restored Snorkel, but it sounds low to me. In my limited experience in the world of vintage pens, I have found that prices are all over the map for both restored and unrestored pens, and you really just have to do a lot of research and shopping around to figure out if the pen you want is available for the price you are willing to pay. And then, of course, if you do spot a deal, jump on it as fast as possible because it won't be there the next time you log onto that webpage.

For an unrestored pen, I have found the best bet is to look on ebay or etsy for an antique dealer or estate sale seller that doesn't really know anything about fountain pens. Such sellers will sometimes list very desirable pens well under the going rate because they don't know what it is and just want to get rid of it. Of course, such uninformed sellers also list pens for absurdly high prices because they assume all fountain pens are rare luxury items like Mont Blancs or something. It's very much like vintage razors, actually.

The other cheap way to acquire vintage pens is to look for pens with a defect you can live with. I got my Waterman Commando for cheap because it's missing the clip. It still writes beautifully. In that vein, you can find "parts pens" for cheap - usually missing a nib or a cap - and take a chance you'll be able to get the missing parts or another "parts pen" later. I still haven't found a new cap for the Commando. Anyway, best of luck to you on your Snorkel journey!

I have a Schaeffer Snorkel, and I could part with it. I bought it in the mid-1990s as new old stock never before sold. I do not have the box. It has a chrome metal cap with the Schaeffer white dot. The barrel is maroon. The front section is black. I used it only a very few times and it worked at the time. But, I tried to load it with ink recently and the sac has apparently developed a leak. It no longer draws ink. I am not going to be greedy about price.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I really like the Snorkel and would like to restore two or three of them myself. Does anyone know of a good resource to buy them? If you look on eBay or antique stores everyone thinks they have working pens. I am not paying $80.00 for a Snorkel that needs rebuilt. Not sure I would pay $80.00 for one that was rebuilt. :smile1:
I had a Schaffer snorkel with a fine flex nib for years and now I can’t find it 😞. I love fountain pens and the snorkel was the best filling system ever. $80 would be a decent price for a well restored one IMHO. I May search for another once I can afford a new nib for my Pelikan.

tankerjohn

After a bit of googling, it would seem I need to issue a retraction. There are, in fact, quite a few nice looking restored Snorkels under the $80 price point. There’s a nice gray one on Etsy. I fear I’ve caught a big that’s not COVID. Hmmmm...

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
After a bit of googling, it would seem I need to issue a retraction. There are, in fact, quite a few nice looking restored Snorkels under the $80 price point. There’s a nice gray one on Etsy. I fear I’ve caught a big that’s not COVID. Hmmmm...
Don’t worry; they are worth it.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I found one for $25. It will be here Saturday. I have rebuild kits for three pens. Wish me luck.

strop

Now half as wise
Scott, Have you done any before? I just tackled my first Touchdown, but haven't tried the snorkel yet. Took me forever to get the O ring in and out on one, and the other took about 2 minutes.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Scott, Have you done any before? I just tackled my first Touchdown, but haven't tried the snorkel yet. Took me forever to get the O ring in and out on one, and the other took about 2 minutes.
This will be my 1st Mark.

tankerjohn

Well, I gone and dun it. I got the Snork. The gray Admiral on Etsy. It just showed up. There’s a pic over in the Acquisition thread. What an immensely cool pen. It’s a whole lot thinner than I expected. Like noticeably thinner than my Pelikan M200, which is not a large pen. Can’t wait to ink it and put nib to paper.

tankerjohn

5845BF04-35AA-4B83-890B-A8B1DAFE8A8C.jpeg

...and I even like the heart-shaped breather hole...

tankerjohn

I, for one, am quite envious. The one I cannot find was a flex nib as well.
Oh no! I’m sorry. Mine is not actually a flex nib; it’s a medium. I had to push it a bit to squeeze out the line variation. I certainly don’t plan to make a habit of it. I understand the Triumph nibs are quite a bit firmer.

Top Bottom