What's new

Scents that "grow on you"

Tallow + Steel Maya. Hated the scent the first 4-5 uses, but performance was so good, I kept using it. Then tolerated it for awhile, now I like it.

WSP Tobacco -

I got this as a sample size since it was one of WSP's recommended scents for sensitive skin. It's certainly not a favorite yet, but the longer I keep it around, the more I like it, so who knows how I'll feel six months from now. After the first time I used it, I was going to set it aside for a future PIF, but after using it a few more times, I now like it enough that I want to keep it for occasional use.

Tabac was not a scent I had a strong dislike for, I was just in the middle. It grew on me little by little, but I knew I was all in when I purchased the large sized bottle of aftershave. This really rounds out the Tabac experience. I enjoy capturing the lingering scent of it throughout my day.

I've never kept a scent I didn't like long enough for it to grow on me. After reading these posts though I'm thinking I should start hanging on to a couple and see if I end up liking them the more I use them.

I've never kept a scent I didn't like long enough for it to grow on me. After reading these posts though I'm thinking I should start hanging on to a couple and see if I end up liking them the more I use them.
Scent combinations that are unusual or weird to your nose have a better chance of growing into.

For me it was WSP Tobacco. When I first tried one of their samples I thought it smelled like dead grass and gasoline, but I stuck with it, and at the end of a long work day, there was this wonderful powdery effect, so I went and bought more of that line, lol.

WSP Tobacco -

I got this as a sample size since it was one of WSP's recommended scents for sensitive skin. It's certainly not a favorite yet, but the longer I keep it around, the more I like it, so who knows how I'll feel six months from now. After the first time I used it, I was going to set it aside for a future PIF, but after using it a few more times, I now like it enough that I want to keep it for occasional use.
Haha, I just saw this after posting my response. Same here!

Definitely Tabac "this smells horrible". It was part of my first big soap buy and, with all the other soaps and creams, I remember thinking something like "Is this what the shaving community is raving about? All this scents? There's nothing special here."
But guess what, I now have the full Tabac set and I'm pretty sure it will always be in my den.

Another one that was, also, already mentioned is Proraso Red and/or those kind of sandalwood scents.
It's been a slow burner but I'm starting to really enjoy it, thankfully, as the Proraso Red scent is really persistent.

Another one is Nordic Shaving Co. Pine Tar it's not on my re-buy list but the scent doesn't hit me negatively has before.
I kind of see myself using this in a cold rainy day with great enjoyment.

1. When I first tried Tabac, even though it's performance was light years ahead of the Van Der Hagen, I wondered if I would be able to tolerate the scent. Over time, the great performance pulled me in deeper and deeper. Now I have Tabac cravings.

2. I'm another who initially didn't care for Stirling Barbershop, yet after a few uses, I'm hooked.

WSP Tobacco -

I love that stuff!

Strike Gold Shave - Old Hickory. Still hate the smell when I open the tub, but then somehow I love it by the time it is lathered and actually on my face.

Czech and speake soaps, they have a distinct clay scent. Makes the more delicate soaps (Oxford and Cambridge) less interesting, a little ‘muddied’.

Southern Witchcrafts Samhain. Wasn’t keen on initial purchase but now absolutely love it. Has an element of Penhaligon’s Halfeti to my nose.

Top Bottom