What's new

Scents similar to TOBS Sandalwood?

I used it again tonight after using soaps for a while and I absolutely love this scent. Any cream/soap recommendations with a similar scent?

Try Trumpers. I like their sandalwood for the cologne type. Art of shaving has one. You can even sample theirs in a store before buying. Plenty of cream makers have their own takes on sandalwood. You could try ordering a bunch of samples from various vendors to check the scents out.

Proraso red is real sandalwood oil from the tree. It's not for everyone. I like it.

Proraso Red.
I have TOBS (hard soap) and Proraso red (croap); they don't smell the same to me. To my nose, the TOBS has a more floral scent while the Proraso has a darker (more patchouli-esque) scent.

If anything, I would say that TOBS sandalwood is a slightly darker version of (tallow) Tabac. They're both floral, but with different flowers making up the scents (I am not good at distinguishing between flowers, let alone by smell, so please pardon the lack of clarity here).

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
If you like TOBS you need to look for “cologne type” sandalwood scents. True Sandalwood smells nothing like TOBS. I like Proraso Red a lot but not as much as the TOBS Sandalwood. I REALLY liked Fine Santal Absolut but it’s been discontinued, you may keep an eye on the BST to see if anyones selling a puck.

@kyleifornia If you like TOBS Sandalwood, you need Cyril Salter’s Indian Sandalwood cream in your collection methinks! I think it’s an overlooked gem. I first tried it in 2013 and have been hooked on it ever since. So much so I’ve never bought a second tub of TOBS Sandalwood. It’s a similar,

You might also like Geo Trumper’s Spanish Leather too.

I like all sandalwoods, TOBS is certainly special, as is Art of Shavings. T&H is nice as well, but milder to my nose. I wish Castle Forbes would release one, as I really like their 1446 scent. St. James of London Sandalwood and Bergamot is an overlooked gem. I have Fine Santal Absolut aftershave, which is very similar to Art of shavings cream. Have fun exploring new sandalwood scents, they are all unique.

I have to agree with others. The Art of Shaving Sandalwood is, in my opinion, the closest to TOBS. I have about 30 different sandalwoods that vary from light and sweet to dark and smokey/earthy. Sometimes I have to wash my cleanly-shaven face so I can try a different sandalwood, just to enjoy the many nuanced aromas.

Nothing smells like TOBS sandalwood. No sandalwood on the market comes close to the scent of TOBS so comparisons are pretty much pointless. Also, I must note that AOS and TOBS are two completely different animals.

I have to agree with others. The Art of Shaving Sandalwood is, in my opinion, the closest to TOBS. I have about 30 different sandalwoods that vary from light and sweet to dark and smokey/earthy. Sometimes I have to wash my cleanly-shaven face so I can try a different sandalwood, just to enjoy the many nuanced aromas.
AOS and Proraso Red smell similar.
Neither of them smell remotely close to TOBS.

TOBS Sandalwood is its own take, stand alone as is Truefitts version.

Last edited:
AOS and Proraso Red smell similar.
Neither of them smell remotely close to TOBS.

TOBS Sandalwood is its own take, stand alone as is Truefitts version.
Completely agree. AOS and Proraso are the only two I've had that were somewhat similar. I like both, but tire of them easily.

Truefitt is another one that has a scent all of it's own, most assuredly. The only one I have not used is GFT, only because I remember taking a whiff from the tub, and not caring for it. But that could have just been a very old tub. I would like to revisit it soon.

Top Bottom