What's new

Scents or "flavors" for shaving soap/cream?

I always notice that some people refer to different scents of shaving soaps or creams as "flavors", when, they are just scents. You do not taste them, I hope. :tongue_sm
I mean, do those who call them flavors call fragrances flavors? So, which term do you use? Scents or "flavors"?

I say flavor when talking to SWMBO about candles, air fresheners, laundry detergent, soap, etc. She used to chastise me, now she just ignores me.

Scents for me, but then I've gotten obsessed with researching them.

I start one silly post about how to make your own shaving soap, and now I'm knee deep in books on the history and craft of perfume, and surrounded by buckets of base oils, and little bottles of essential oils.

I initially thought some of my fellow B&Bers were overenthusiastic for spending $30+ on a several ounce tub of shaving soap, but then yesterday I dropped $40 on 6.5 GRAMS of tonka bean absolute to use in recreating a fougere scent, so I guess it's all relative. (I need to hurry up and sign up as a hobbyist and start selling this stuff just so I can help cover the costs of my experiments.)

Sheesh, sometimes you find yourself down the rabbit hole without expecting it.

most of your taste sensation/experience and thus flavour (except for sweet, sour, salt and bitter) comes via the sense of smell - so I say call it either, though technically scent is correct.

They are scents.

Occasionally when some lather makes it's way into the corner of my mouth, it is a flavour...... and certainly not enjoyable.

Top Bottom