What's new

Scentless Saturday

Brush: RR Big Bruce
Soap: Mike's Natural Scentless
Razor: RR Gamechanger .68-P
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux
AS: Pinaud Clubman

PXL_20220917_220441756.jpg

Great shave today!! I sure love Mike's, it's getting to be my default soap these days.

Scentless Saturday SOTD
SOTD-NEW-FB-GT-K_2022-09-24.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 20/46 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Phoenix Scentsless
Razor: Gillette NEW Flat Bottom GT
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Black (30)
ASL: Duru Limon Kolonya 80°

A great shave. :biggrin:
All is well in ZenShaveLand. :sorcerer:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Amazon has Canada Shaving Soap back in stock... free prime shipping for those in the States.

Didn't know there'd been a gap in Amazon availability, but I'm glad to hear the news. Of course, even though I use it all the time I still have probably way more than half my tub remaining.

(A lot was removed and put aside in an old tub so I would have room to easily load within the Canada Shaving Soap tub. That makes estimating the remaining amount harder, but everything else easier.)

I load heavily. I'm no three second loaded like Cal @Cal except with MdC. Not that I use MdC but I have used it and appreciate how little loading is required with it.

Frankly, I require a lot of loading with most soaps including CSS. Eventually I'll have to buy another tub.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When I get in a discussion with someone about Canada Shaving Soap, I always check Amazon because the shipping costs to the States is over $15, if I remember correctly. Amazon hasn't had any in stock for months.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I posted this on the PAA thread running here: I tried the PAA Scentsless soap for the first time the other day. It wasn't bad but it was significantly worse than the Canada Shaving Soap. Several people on the other thread said they were having issues with it and they'll all purchased it recently. They weren't having any issues with the other PAA scented soaps.

So Cal and Jim... how does the Scentsless soap compare to the Canada Shaving Soap for you two. I know you both like it, since it shows up in your posts regularly. I didn't hate it.... but it didn't perform very well. I'll try it again and see if I just missed the water/soap ratio that badly. The lather looked like all the other lathers I end up with. That's what surprised me. I went back to Canada Shaving Soap for the second shave with my ATT X1 and it was stellar.... now, the first shave was excellent as well, but I sort of felt like I was fighting the soap instead of working with it, if I'm communicating that properly.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I posted this on the PAA thread running here: I tried the PAA Scentsless soap for the first time the other day. It wasn't bad but it was significantly worse than the Canada Shaving Soap. Several people on the other thread said they were having issues with it and they'll all purchased it recently. They weren't having any issues with the other PAA scented soaps.

So Cal and Jim... how does the Scentsless soap compare to the Canada Shaving Soap for you two. I know you both like it, since it shows up in your posts regularly. I didn't hate it.... but it didn't perform very well. I'll try it again and see if I just missed the water/soap ratio that badly. The lather looked like all the other lathers I end up with. That's what surprised me. I went back to Canada Shaving Soap for the second shave with my ATT X1 and it was stellar.... now, the first shave was excellent as well, but I sort of felt like I was fighting the soap instead of working with it, if I'm communicating that properly.

My CK-6, the tub I'm almost finished with, is pretty old. I have a newer, but now a good many months old, unopened tub which I'll be going to after a dozen or so more CK-6 shaves.

To me, Canada and CK-6 are both top tier soaps. I've had great results with both. I use both with the Tube/Cube preshave products. I believe I'd give the edge to Canada Shaving Soap, but it's a very slight edge.

I load heavy with a thrice shaken soap brush. Not a dripping wet brush. My first face lathering step is to get a pretty heavy layer of spackling on my skin. Then, without adding water to the brush, I use a somewhat splayed brush and a circular motion and some scrubbing. Next, water is added by dipping the tips into a cup of warm water, and scrubbing that into my skin in an effort to generate some foam, and great hydration.

Three or four of these dipping and scrubbing and hydrating combinations take place before I'm satisfied with the hydration. To me, getting a good lather is half the shave + I enjoy the whole process of this sort of face lathering.

Kim, I'm not sure any of that is at all helpful. Perhaps Cal can nail it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My CK-6, the tub I'm almost finished with, is pretty old. I have a newer, but now a good many months old, unopened tub which I'll be going to after a dozen or so more CK-6 shaves.

To me, Canada and CK-6 are both top tier soaps. I've had great results with both. I use both with the Tube/Cube preshave products. I believe I'd give the edge to Canada Shaving Soap, but it's a very slight edge.

I load heavy with a thrice shaken soap brush. Not a dripping wet brush. My first face lathering step is to get a pretty heavy layer of spackling on my skin. Then, without adding water to the brush, I use a somewhat splayed brush and a circular motion and some scrubbing. Next, water is added by dipping the tips into a cup of warm water, and scrubbing that into my skin in an effort to generate some foam, and great hydration.

Three or four of these dipping and scrubbing and hydrating combinations take place before I'm satisfied with the hydration. To me, getting a good lather is half the shave + I enjoy the whole process of this sort of face lathering.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I do much the same.... and I'm using the Cube 2.0 and the Tube 2.0 as well... I scrub my face, usually with the SV 2.0 (gotta love those 2.0s) but perhaps I shouldn't add so much water in the bowl.. just add more when I use the brush on my face. I tend to get the lather a bit wetter in the bowl.... so it works well into my face but your process might work a bit better.

I'll try that next time.

I know I wasn't asked (I'll cry myself to sleep about it later!), but I do have and love both!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim pretty much summed up my thoughts as well. While I don't do it exactly as he does, I do something similar and as I say, love the results with both soaps. I had the PAA earlier version of Scentsless and it was ok for me. I tried the CK-6 version after reading reviews from guys I trust here, and was more than impressed with the results. I believe it is a soap that will always be in my soap drawer for as long as I can get it.

All this, though, doesn't really matter if your results are different. I have been there, too, with soaps that folks I trust loved but for me, the soap was just meh. But don't worry, Jim and Cal will probably still let you hang out with them, as the BOSC block is one large wing of happy guys!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I know I wasn't asked (I'll cry myself to sleep about it later!), but I do have and love both!

Jim pretty much summed up my thoughts as well. While I don't do it exactly as he does, I do something similar and as I say, love the results with both soaps. I had the PAA earlier version of Scentsless and it was ok for me. I tried the CK-6 version after reading reviews from guys I trust here, and was more than impressed with the results. I believe it is a soap that will always be in my soap drawer for as long as I can get it.

All this, though, doesn't really matter if your results are different. I have been there, too, with soaps that folks I trust loved but for me, the soap was just meh. But don't worry, Jim and Cal will probably still let you hang out with them, as the BOSC block is one large wing of happy guys!
Maine, I believe it was you who mentioned Mystic Water unscented soaps a while back? I ended up ordered some and got it today. I don't really need another unscented soap but since you gave it such high praise, I decided to add some to my rotation.

I'm sure I'll like it... and I'm sure I'll figure out the Scentsless as well...unless there is a problem with this batch. Not sure how I can determine that. I'll keep an eye on the PAA thread and see what develops there.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

All things being equal I prefer the simplest solutions and ingredients.

1665259686364.png

It's a bias.

I've tried at least one other very simple soap but like this one.

1665259948314.png

I face lather because it feels so good, works so well, is reproducible, and because I'm way too stupid to bowl later to my satisfaction.

My lather requires monitoring as its been custom made by an artisan. The only monitor I have is my biomonitor so that's what I use.

My lather is how I want it every time. Plus it's easy.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Saturday's Scentless Soap Shave
SOTD-YGT-K_2022-10-08.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Simpson Wee Scot 13/39
Soap: Phoenix Scentsless
Razor: Yuma YM-406 GT
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Black (12)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

A fine shave. :biggrin:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut: