What's new

Scented soaps are wasted on me!

I've a poor sense of smell, and even tabac seems faint. This means I have no need to buy loads of soaps chasing the latest wonderful scent.
What I do appreciate is a soap which produces a great lather and feels creamy on my face and most soaps and creams fulfil this, very few are awful.

I've a poor sense of smell, and even tabac seems faint. This means I have no need to buy loads of soaps chasing the latest wonderful scent. What I do appreciate is a soap which produces a great lather and feels creamy on my face and most soaps and creams fulfil this, very few are awful.
I'm kind of in the same place, but for the opposite reason: I have a pretty delicate sniffer and find most shaving soap scents to be a bit "too much", so I gravitate toward soaps with subtle scents or unscented soaps.

My current go-to unscented soap is Stirling "Naked and Smooth".

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My preferred scents are ones I can ignore.

I do like scents when lathering, and even lingering when the shave is done, but I am not a fan of the lathers that are still demanding attention when it's time to shave. I want my attention focussed on the sharp blade on my face, rather than have the lather screaming "notice me, notice me" while I'm trying to pay attention to something else.

So while a soap might win points for being pleasantly scented, they can also lose points for being distracting.

You are not the only with nose problems.

- If a soap has a smell thati dislike, i usually keep smelling it throughout the shave, so it becomes disturbing.
- If a soap has a smell that i like, i usually stop noticing it, as soon as i start lathering. So i can only smell it, when i am not shaving. I must smell it on purpose to perceive the smell. Which is bad, because even if i buy an expensive soap, i don't get what people say about enjoying the smell while shaving. I must go on purpose to the bathroom to smell the soap when i am not shaving. That's the only way to appreciate the fragrance. Odd, isn't it...

So I also avoid scented soaps, but because most FO tend to irritate my skin. There have been a few EO only soaps that work ok, but I realized long ago that I don't really feel like I'm missing anything by using unscented soaps and can really just focus on performance.

Some of my all-time top favorites are:

Shannon's Soap NIL
Mystic Water Sensitive
Stirling Nake & Smooth
Stirling Beeswax
CRSW Vetiver Fresco 2.0 - Lightly scented EO soap.

Top Bottom