What's new

Scent Matching/Longevity/Etc.

This has been a bit confusing to me, as a newbie to the wetshaving/cologne world.

To what degree do you match your scents? For example, I'll always use my Proraso Pre/Post with my Proraso Green, and I'll probably followup with some mint witch hazel. I do this just because I like the cooling effect, and Proraso smells great. But oftentimes I'll use some Taylor's Rose and I use the Proraso Pre/Post... to what degree do the two interfere? Add cologne and deoderant to the mix and you have so many combinations that could be so delicious or so horrible smelling!

Last night I was a couple of hours off of a Proraso shave. I had just put on some C&E lavender handcream (a sample that came with my brush), and it was hot, so I had dabbed some Thayer's Rose on my forehead, and my girlfriend said that I smelled like "a French whore" (no offense to any Frenchman or whores, honest).

How concerned are you gents about this deadly effect? I'm sure that her comment wouldn't have been applicable half an hour later, when most of the different scent had worn off. Nonetheless, it's an interesting question.

To be quite honest, I don't layer my scents. I wear what I like. Perhaps I do smell like a french whore. :eek:

rossination said:
This has been a bit confusing to me, as a newbie to the wetshaving/cologne world.

To what degree do you match your scents? For example, I'll always use my Proraso Pre/Post with my Proraso Green, and I'll probably followup with some mint witch hazel. I do this just because I like the cooling effect, and Proraso smells great. But oftentimes I'll use some Taylor's Rose and I use the Proraso Pre/Post... to what degree do the two interfere? Add cologne and deoderant to the mix and you have so many combinations that could be so delicious or so horrible smelling!

Last night I was a couple of hours off of a Proraso shave. I had just put on some C&E lavender handcream (a sample that came with my brush), and it was hot, so I had dabbed some Thayer's Rose on my forehead, and my girlfriend said that I smelled like "a French whore" (no offense to any Frenchman or whores, honest).

How concerned are you gents about this deadly effect? I'm sure that her comment wouldn't have been applicable half an hour later, when most of the different scent had worn off. Nonetheless, it's an interesting question.
The real question here is, does your girlfriend dig that kind of thing in a dude? If so, it may be time for a proposal.:biggrin:

This topic comes up from time to time, and we tend to see a split between the "I select my shave cream, aftershave and cologne to create a 'family' of coordinated scents," and the "I wear whatever I like" camps.

I vacilate between camps myself. I do find myself reaching for the Proraso and Toms of Maine mint shave creams when the thermometer climbs above 80 degrees F, and leaning toward the limes products when it gets warm, but I also just grab for what strikes my fancy on busy work mornings during the school year.

There's no right answer here, rossination, unlike music theory class!:wink:

I'd have to echo Mitch in my beliefs/practices. Additionally, my wife acts as my smell-o-meter. If things ever get out of hand, she kindly lets me know.

For me, its my 3 year old--he always wants to know which "smelly" I am wearing. He gives me a sniff on my way out the door and lets me know if I'm OK or not--funny thing is, he's usually right. :redface:

Kyle said:
I'd have to echo Mitch in my beliefs/practices. Additionally, my wife acts as my smell-o-meter. If things ever get out of hand, she kindly lets me know.

I'll third your motion on all accounts. My wife always makes that funny face and coughs when I do one or two "extra" sprays of cologne.

One thing I learned...on a HOT summer day, with too much time spent outside, Florida Water can certainly go with just about anything. Except maybe Joop!

Randy

Top Bottom