What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

Givenchy Gentleman (Vintage)

Would Gentlemen be a reasonable blind buy?

Would Gentlemen be a reasonable blind buy?

I want to say yes but the obvious answer is no. It's one of the best fragrances ever made. In a nutshell it's citrus and patchouli but it's not that simple. And yet that about covers it. But it's not for everyone. Sample first. But if it were me I'd blind buy a vintage 30mL bottle.

I want to say yes but the obvious answer is no. It's one of the best fragrances ever made. In a nutshell it's citrus and patchouli but it's not that simple. And yet that about covers it. But it's not for everyone. Sample first. But if it were me I'd blind buy a vintage 30mL bottle.

Well the store near by won't let me sample it (they don't have an open tester).

proxy.php

Accords: green, patchouli, tobacco, fresh, warm spicy
Notes: Herbs, grassy notes, tobacco, patchouli

I had a difficult time with this one. I don't know if I was dehydrated, but my skin just seemed to gobble this up making it difficult to pick out the notes. I get a blast of patchouli in the opening, but after half an hour it has settled into the background on my skin and vetiver becomes most prominent, a green and earthy vetiver. I also get a slight bit of oud fading in and out of the background, more of the barnyard variety. I don't get any incense whatsoever, but I do get some spices, which may actually be a spicy sandalwood. I also don't get any tobacco, but after an hour I get a spicy leather which later transitions into powdery sweet amber and woods with maybe a little patchouli lingering in the background. Eventually, everything fades away but the sweet powdery amber.

There may have been a couple brief periods where I actually enjoyed this; like during the prominent vetiver phase or during the transition between leather and woods before turning powdery, but this frag doesn't do enough for me to warrant another application.

Nasomatto Week
Nasomatto Pardon (2011) - Monday
Nasomatto Duro extrait LS (2007) - Tuesday
Nasomatto Black Afgano (2009) - Wednesday
Nasomatto Hindu Grass (2006) - Thursday
Nasomatto Absinth (2007) - Friday

Last edited:
Well the store near by won't let me sample it (they don't have an open tester).

I am waiting for someone else to chime in at this point since I have never tried the current stuff on the market, which is what it sounds like they have stocked at the store near you. Gentleman still gets a lot of respect so my guess is the current stuff is still a damn fine product but I can't say. I have some vintage aftershave that I use and it's my favorite aftershave - I just love the way it smells. And then I have a vintage mini-bottle that I use that smells just like it. I have been considering a purchase of the vintage 30mL bottle myself and have come close to pulling the trigger. Even now there is another window open on my computer to an Ebay listing for one.

Anyway, it's bad ethic to recommend blind purchases although I do it all the time. If it were me I would seek a vintage bottle instead. But chances are the stuff in your nearby store is still a very good purchase. Umm, ... , go for it! Just do it! And then report back here and tells us all about it.

Vintage Tabarome
by Creed

ginger, bergamot, tangerine, lemon, green tea, sandalwood, patchouli, tobacco

You know, it's been ages since I've worn this stuff and I don't remember ever liking this as much as I do today. Essentially, I don't recall ever thinking of this as a chypre and yet today I'm getting a very distinct chypre quality perfume with a nice golden tobacco note running through it. I'll be honest, this reminds me a lot of a vintage Roger et Gallet perfume I picked up about a year or so ago called Cigalia (cigalia is french for cicada but the perfume is a tobacco-based chypre). Oddly enough, VT has a strong "oakmoss" note to it that is not listed in the notes list. And yet it is very obvious and really dominates the scent. It is possible that instead of oakmoss it is a combination of the ginger with tobacco and/or other notes, actually, but the effect is genius. Other notes stand out in this, namely the citrus and the patchouli, making this a fairly standard chypre with twists. This is not an aromatic pipe tobacco note and there is no smoky notes at all - just a crisp golden tobacco note similar to Acqua di Cuba but without the honey. Instead it is made even fresher with the citrus and ginger and planted firmly in typical masculine base notes of sandalwood and patchouli. I see no reason why Creed can't keep this on the market as a regular part of their lineup, which means I think they are intentionally creating a cult status crave for it. Personally, I love this style because it is clean, crisp, and elegant, and because it can be worn year round and in almost any situation - it's universal. But something comparable to VT is easily obtainable in other perfumes and I don't think it's worthy of the ridiculous hyped-up cult following that is out there no matter how good this is.

proxy.php

Bois de Santal
by Creed

It's been a long time since I've worn this. Stashed away in a dark place far out of reach, I nearly sold it by accident. After realizing the near mistake, it was sitting on my dresser in plain sight calling my name. Opening the cap once in a while I was reminded of why this smells so good. Wearing it today is even better. There is a touch of skank in the opening, a musk note that a lot of folks consider civet, but which I don't think is civet at all. Well, it could be, but my guess is that it's a floral note, one of the indoles, something like jasmine, perhaps, or maybe even orange blossom - or both? The skank note is not very strong - noticeable but modest - and never really quite goes away but is confined to a very quiet whisper before long. I also pick up some very subtle notes of rose, tobacco, and patchouli - very, very quiet notes, mind you. There is a touch of powder in this, just a touch, and - a bit more noticeable - the notorious Creed amber. The star, however, is a judicious dose of sandalwood that provides a little peppery kick, but which is so creamy smooth it's almost buttery. In the realm of sandalwood fragrances, this might be like the shadow of some of the more vociferous giants like Profumum's Santalum or MPG's Santal Noble, but it is all the more impressive for its subtle style of class and elegance - a classic beyond comparison.

proxy.php

Yes, it sure is!

The temp is above 50 degrees Fahrenheit here in the Chi which, to me, means that it is Spring Time!

Therefore, today was AdP Colonia day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom