What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
$10_06_10_Sartorial.jpg

I am waiting for someone else to chime in at this point since I have never tried the current stuff on the market, which is what it sounds like they have stocked at the store near you. Gentleman still gets a lot of respect so my guess is the current stuff is still a damn fine product but I can't say. I have some vintage aftershave that I use and it's my favorite aftershave - I just love the way it smells. And then I have a vintage mini-bottle that I use that smells just like it. I have been considering a purchase of the vintage 30mL bottle myself and have come close to pulling the trigger. Even now there is another window open on my computer to an Ebay listing for one.

Anyway, it's bad ethic to recommend blind purchases although I do it all the time. If it were me I would seek a vintage bottle instead. But chances are the stuff in your nearby store is still a very good purchase. Umm, ... , go for it! Just do it! And then report back here and tells us all about it.

My high school gym teacher wore Gentleman, I have a very difficult time thinking of anyone except all the high school gym teachers wearing it :sad:

Finishing up my decant of Fat Electrician today.

Will you restock?

How does this one compare to Luban's Vetyver?

I am waiting for someone else to chime in at this point since I have never tried the current stuff on the market, which is what it sounds like they have stocked at the store near you. Gentleman still gets a lot of respect so my guess is the current stuff is still a damn fine product but I can't say. I have some vintage aftershave that I use and it's my favorite aftershave - I just love the way it smells. And then I have a vintage mini-bottle that I use that smells just like it. I have been considering a purchase of the vintage 30mL bottle myself and have come close to pulling the trigger. Even now there is another window open on my computer to an Ebay listing for one.

Anyway, it's bad ethic to recommend blind purchases although I do it all the time. If it were me I would seek a vintage bottle instead. But chances are the stuff in your nearby store is still a very good purchase. Umm, ... , go for it! Just do it! And then report back here and tells us all about it.

I have owned both versions and currently own 2 bottles of the vintage. I prefer the vintage as the leather note is more pronounced and the civet is stronger (it was replaced and slightly muted in the reformulation...though not by much), I also pick up some cinnamon on the top note, wet honeyed patchouli and of course deep, rich leather.

Gentleman is a very "in your face" scent, very much of the powerhouses of the 70s and 80s. So I wouldn't say it's a safe blind buy, though with something as subjective as scents nothing ever really is. One can purchase minis or small samples for reasonable prices and that would be my suggested route.

The differences in the vintage and the reformulation are noticeable, but subtle enough that it's not worth an expended effort to acquire the vintage. Thankfully, prices for the vintage juice are often in-line with the reformulated.

I have owned both versions and currently own 2 bottles of the vintage. I prefer the vintage as the leather note is more pronounced and the civet is stronger (it was replaced and slightly muted in the reformulation...though not by much), I also pick up some cinnamon on the top note, wet honeyed patchouli and of course deep, rich leather.

Gentleman is a very "in your face" scent, very much of the powerhouses of the 70s and 80s. So I wouldn't say it's a safe blind buy, though with something as subjective as scents nothing ever really is. One can purchase minis or small samples for reasonable prices and that would be my suggested route.

The differences in the vintage and the reformulation are noticeable, but subtle enough that it's not worth an expended effort to acquire the vintage. Thankfully, prices for the vintage juice are often in-line with the reformulated.

Now, that is a very practical information. Thanks.

Vintage Tabarome
by Creed

ginger, bergamot, tangerine, lemon, green tea, sandalwood, patchouli, tobacco

You know, it's been ages since I've worn this stuff and I don't remember ever liking this as much as I do today. Essentially, I don't recall ever thinking of this as a chypre and yet today I'm getting a very distinct chypre quality perfume with a nice golden tobacco note running through it. I'll be honest, this reminds me a lot of a vintage Roger et Gallet perfume I picked up about a year or so ago called Cigalia (cigalia is french for cicada but the perfume is a tobacco-based chypre). Oddly enough, VT has a strong "oakmoss" note to it that is not listed in the notes list. And yet it is very obvious and really dominates the scent. It is possible that instead of oakmoss it is a combination of the ginger with tobacco and/or other notes, actually, but the effect is genius. Other notes stand out in this, namely the citrus and the patchouli, making this a fairly standard chypre with twists. This is not an aromatic pipe tobacco note and there is no smoky notes at all - just a crisp golden tobacco note similar to Acqua di Cuba but without the honey. Instead it is made even fresher with the citrus and ginger and planted firmly in typical masculine base notes of sandalwood and patchouli. I see no reason why Creed can't keep this on the market as a regular part of their lineup, which means I think they are intentionally creating a cult status crave for it. Personally, I love this style because it is clean, crisp, and elegant, and because it can be worn year round and in almost any situation - it's universal. But something comparable to VT is easily obtainable in other perfumes and I don't think it's worthy of the ridiculous hyped-up cult following that is out there no matter how good this is.

proxy.php

Glad you finally came around. I was starting to question your nose. :)

I don't know what it is, but I really love this juice. In my top 5 of all time.

proxy.php

Accords: green, aromatic, woody, bitter, earthy
Notes: Absinthe, herbs, vetiver

I get primarily licorice and vetiver, a green and earthy vetiver not unlike I got with Hindu Grass for a spell. Imagine dropping your salt licorice in the grass and when you try and pick it up it falls deeper into the grass until you find yourself digging it out of the dirt at the roots. Interesting if not odd combination. Dirty licorice? After half an hour I get some pepper coming forward and the licorice fades. An hour in and the vetiver has been replaced by woods then begins to quickly fade away. Another half hour and it's pretty much gone.

What I like most about Absinth is that it's never too sweet. The vetiver is nice, but not in conjuction with licorice. By the time the woods come forward, Absinth has become merely a skin scent.

Nasomatto Week
Nasomatto Pardon (2011) - Monday
Nasomatto Duro extrait LS (2007) - Tuesday
Nasomatto Black Afgano (2009) - Wednesday
Nasomatto Hindu Grass (2006) - Thursday
Nasomatto Absinth (2007) - Friday

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom