What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

Picked up a bottle of Pierre Cardin yesterday in an outlet mall, after reading about it here, and since they had "buy one get one 1/2 price", I also picked up an old favorite, Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein. I always liked the soft, slightly sweet, musky scent, and so does SWMBO.

proxy.php

This is a fragrance for men. Well, sold and marketed as such. Anyone can wear whatever they please.

Oops, my mistake. I had no idea Paris Hilton even made masculine fragrances. Still, I wear women's perfumes all the time, we'll wear what we want to, won't we?

Today, the reissue of Lancome's Sikkim, named after a mountain area in the Himalayas. However, it doesn't really have that kind of "mountain" smell to me. Then again, I've never been to the Himalayas. At first, it's quite floral in a creamy way not unlike gardenias and magnolias, a rich buttery floral; but it gives way to a funky green smell before going kinda spicy and earthy. It's a chypre of sorts, very interesting, very enjoyable, very pungent and long lasting. Another wonderful fragrance I'll let my wife wear, actually, but it sure smells good.

proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
So what's so good about Bay Rum anyways? Isn't it just a Barber scent?

Thanks for posting! Welcome to controversy! ANd just plain welcome.

I think of bay rum as a barbershop scent, as we tend to call such things around here. Meaning such scents as remind one of the scents of barbershops, particularly back in the day. And I adore barbershop scents. And they come in all sorts of price ranges and types.

That is what is meant "by around here is not the place to refer to something as "just a barber scent""!

To me, the scent of true bay tree leaf extract--we are not talking about the bay leaf that goes into a nice red sauce, by the way--is a wonderful think. Invigorating, fresh but sort of stinging. I imagine it has all sorts of good medicinal aspects, too. But I think that scent in natural firm never has any staying power, so bay rums often--and this is wholly traditional--contain clove and cinnamon and who knows what else to provide tenacity and something like bay tree leaf. I think the scents that mimic bay tree leaf in these more tenacious mixtures are impressive scentmaking. Others seems too much like Christmas.

But bay rum and related notes show up in lots of men's scents.

And a good bay rum is a wonderful thing and a barber scent! Again, welcome.

Oops, my mistake. I had no idea Paris Hilton even made masculine fragrances. Still, I wear women's perfumes all the time, we'll wear what we want to, won't we?

Today, the reissue of Lancome's Sikkim, named after a mountain area in the Himalayas. However, it doesn't really have that kind of "mountain" smell to me. Then again, I've never been to the Himalayas. At first, it's quite floral in a creamy way not unlike gardenias and magnolias, a rich buttery floral; but it gives way to a funky green smell before going kinda spicy and earthy. It's a chypre of sorts, very interesting, very enjoyable, very pungent and long lasting. Another wonderful fragrance I'll let my wife wear, actually, but it sure smells good.

proxy.php

Well, they're supposed to be masculine. lol. and, i guess they are. very modern smelling, like post aqua di gio type aquatic smells. the lady loves it. i like it, but it doesn't last very long. the paris hilton for men gets lots of good reviews. but, yes, she has a mens' and womens' line. what type of women's frags do you wear that you've enjoyed?

Acqua di Selva.

Wouldn't you know it, the day I decide to break this out for a test, a lot from Mudassir arrives an hour later.

Wasn't on my try or buy list, but I purchased a deal off the BST and this was basicly a bonus. Reminds me of a piney Acqua Classica Borsari (the other part and main reason for my bst purchase). Pretty fresh and safe, and a little sweet. I've got a full bottle of it, but not sure how often I'll wear it, so I may decant a bit and do something with the rest in the future.

Picked up a bottle of Pierre Cardin yesterday in an outlet mall, after reading about it here, and since they had "buy one get one 1/2 price", I also picked up an old favorite, Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein. I always liked the soft, slightly sweet, musky scent, and so does SWMBO.

proxy.php

Must be on a mind-meld. I just bought a bottle of Obsession today, which I have not tried in years, too. I also personally like the Pierre Cardin a lot. Curious to hear how it treats you.

BTW - for me today - Creed Vintage Tabarome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom