What's new

Scanning Electron Microscope Blade Edge Images

Regarding the long primary grind on the swedish rapiras; I notice my all my rapiras have the same grind except the "ladas" blades I own have the longer grind your swedish rapiras have. I don't know what significance that has though.

Has anyone done followup work to this great post? Also, do we know of anyone with access to the sharpness measuring instruments alluded to in this thread?

I just started watching the forum and wet shaving about 2 months ago and just discovered this thread. Wow. Great job. I love the data and the objective look at the blades I am hearing so much about. I just happened to be using Personna blades. They come in the blue box in a lot of 100. I hope they are represented in some of the Personna tests here. Its hard to tell since mine don't say "blue" or "red" or "lab" on the box. thanks again for the work

Terry W in Gilbert, Arizona

I just started watching the forum and wet shaving about 2 months ago and just discovered this thread. Wow. Great job. I love the data and the objective look at the blades I am hearing so much about. I just happened to be using Personna blades. They come in the blue box in a lot of 100. I hope they are represented in some of the Personna tests here. Its hard to tell since mine don't say "blue" or "red" or "lab" on the box. thanks again for the work

Terry W in Gilbert, Arizona

The blue box are why they are called blue's, the red's come in a red box.

...As for the EDS analysis that I post with each new blade, remember that this analysis only looks at the surface of the blade and has no real penetration. The numbers shown would be really rough estimates of what the blade is composed of, but by no means should be considered gospel...

Exactly. Microscopic viewing won't as well tell you anything about the "golden" ingredient in the mix: the sputtering. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pictures.
Several observations.
1.No iridium in Polsilver coating.
2.Gillette seven o’clock stainless, the edge looks very jagged.
3.Lord blades are extremely contaminated during manufacturing.
4. Personna lab looks better compared to med prep

I don't know if anyone asked this but is there a way to view them from the side? To compare how sharp they are or see the angles to the edge? I love this stuff. Its fascinating.

Top Bottom