What's new

Scalpel to straight razor → what's the rub?

TL;DR → I can't get a fine shave with the straight razor; it mostly skates over the hair.

I've been using a surgical scalpel for years to take off the super fine hair, but it's small and the disposable element bothers me, so I tried to move to straight razors. I like everything about the idea, but I can't get it to work. The razor is a dovo 5/8, supposedly sent shave ready. I've since had it honed by a professional again to make sure it isn't just dull. I strop it before I make my attempts, which does improve things a little, but it's still no comparison. On coarser hair, it cuts, but not particularly closely -- close enough to make it look good, but I can still feel stubble. On the fine hair, it's difficult to cut the hair at all. I'm hoping that I'm just forgetting some fundamental step, but I've tried everything I can think of. As I understand it, a straight razor shave done right is the closest shave you can get -- is that not true?

The things I've tried: hot towels and steaming, shaving cream, shaving gel, against the grain, with the grain, long strokes, short strokes, many passes, varied angle, varied pressure. After all of that experimenting, I took it back to the bladesmith to make sure I hadn't mussed it, but he said it's as sharp as it's ever going to get.

With the scalpel, it's super easy -- I don't even wet the skin first. I never cut myself and it always gets all the hair perfectly, what's the difference?

Assuming it can be sharpened... Post a photo of the razor.
The implication being that the bladesmith ruined it beyond repair or that it was never a viable razor?

Attachments

• PXL_20221127_001306053.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221127_001306053.MP.jpg
    984.2 KB · Views: 103
Would a competent honer be able to fix it? Would the frown serve as explanation for my troubles?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A few things. A scalpel edge is not like a razor edge. A scalpel requires a very fine sawtooth edge while a SR edge requires a smooth edge. Each edge is designed to cut differently and different things. It could be the scalpel sawteeth are working well in cutting the finer hairs but not on the courser hairs that SRs are designed to cut.

You mention that it is a Dovo SR. Their cheaper (and some of their more expensive) models are know to often have problems. A picture would be of great help.

As for having your SR honed by a bladesmith, this may not have been a good idea. About the only people who can properly hone a SR to shave-ready are those with experience and who shave regularly with their own honed SRs. I do not know your location so here is a list of some who can properly hone a SR.

The rest of it will come down to technique. I have no experience with shaving fine hair so cannot help you much there. I would suggest that, once you have a proper edge, play around with shaving angle, pressure and skin stretching. I will eventually work but will take time and shaves to get there.

Edit: Just saw the photo. That SR has not been properly honed by someone who knows what they are doing. This is evident in the frowning edge. First get that SR properly honed.

PXL_20221127_001306053.MP.jpg

Due to the frown now in the edge, that blade will also need some heel correction.

Last edited:
One problem solved, thank you guys for the diagnosis. Follow-up questions: is an SR the implement I should be using for fine hair or is there something else better suited? It sounds like Dovo isn't revered here -- what brand would you suggest instead?

Straights are for shaving; the hair coarsness should not really be a consideration.

Rather than worry about brands, just get a shave ready straight. See the wiki page @rbscebu posted to find someone close to you who can sell you one in your price range.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Here are some SR shaving instructions that may be of help to you.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
One problem solved, thank you guys for the diagnosis. Follow-up questions: is an SR the implement I should be using for fine hair or is there something else better suited? It sounds like Dovo isn't revered here -- what brand would you suggest instead?
All proper straight razors (there are some razor shaped objects out there) are designed for and will shave all types of hair off skin - course or fine. Another cheaper way to SR shave is to use a shavette type razor.

There is nothing inherently wrong with a Dovo SR. It is just that some need (a lot of) work to get them shaving well. I would stick with what you have. Just send it out to a recognized honemeister to correct the blade's edge. Cost should be tens of USD plus shipping both ways. Much more economical than buying another SR. Once corrected all should be good with that Dovo SR.

TL;DR → I can't get a fine shave with the straight razor; it mostly skates over the hair.

I've been using a surgical scalpel for years to take off the super fine hair, but it's small and the disposable element bothers me, so I tried to move to straight razors. I like everything about the idea, but I can't get it to work. The razor is a dovo 5/8, supposedly sent shave ready. I've since had it honed by a professional again to make sure it isn't just dull. I strop it before I make my attempts, which does improve things a little, but it's still no comparison. On coarser hair, it cuts, but not particularly closely -- close enough to make it look good, but I can still feel stubble. On the fine hair, it's difficult to cut the hair at all. I'm hoping that I'm just forgetting some fundamental step, but I've tried everything I can think of. As I understand it, a straight razor shave done right is the closest shave you can get -- is that not true?

The things I've tried: hot towels and steaming, shaving cream, shaving gel, against the grain, with the grain, long strokes, short strokes, many passes, varied angle, varied pressure. After all of that experimenting, I took it back to the bladesmith to make sure I hadn't mussed it, but he said it's as sharp as it's ever going to get.

With the scalpel, it's super easy -- I don't even wet the skin first. I never cut myself and it always gets all the hair perfectly, what's the difference?
You shave your face with a scalpel? Why? Do you have a picture of the scalpel you use? I am intrigued.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I saw a post on a razor forum by a surgeon straight user, who stated that he'd never seen a scalpel pass a hanging hair test. A properly tuned up straight razor should give excellent results for you.

He/she is not shaving his/her face with a scalpel, just some areas of fine body hair.
Interesting.
I still don't understand why one would use a scalpel out of all things. Just the jump from the size of the cutting edge, scalpel to SR is a big jump. Scalpels are made to cut skin/tissue but hey, whatever makes people happy.
Honestly, if you are just removing some fine hair and not face shaving I would just grab a Bic single blade disposable.

Last edited:
I've always used a scalpel on my face because it's just what worked. Regular razors have a really hard time on the fine hair -- I've tried so many things and nothing works like a scalpel. The main reason I decided to get into SRs is that while the scalpel is fine for my face, it's a nightmare to use on my arms because the blade is so small, it takes forever. Even on the hair that does get cut via MBM, I hate using disposable anything, so it would be my dream if I could use non-disposable razors for everything.

Don't worry, I think it's weird too. I figured a blade meant for shaving would be a lot better than a scalpel.

Important point of clarification though → I'm using a surgical dermaplaning blade, so it is meant to get all the junk off of face skin. I think the only difference is the rounded point, but I'm no expert, obviously.

A properly honed SR will work just fine. It will remove fine and coarse hair.
Sharing your location will help with guiding you to a person who knows how to hone razors.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Doc226 (Alfredo) is highly regarded on B&B for his honing skills and results. I have not had the pleasure of using his services. He is based on Rhode Island.

Top Bottom