What's new

scalp acne shampoo?

Does anyone have any suggestions for scalp acne shampoo?I have heard that most dandruff shampoos areharmful if used on a daily basis.I havefine blond hair and do not wish to lose any more of it.

I have tried many shampoos and still have the same problem. I have had this problem my entire life and I am just fed up with it.

Thanks

Get to a dermatologist ASAP, I have psoriasis and that can present in a similar fashion. Dandruff shampoos are fine to use daily, though there are ones that contain coal tar which can help depending upon the severity. Neutrogena is the brand name here but the generic walmart with the same active ingredients works fine (and is cheaper). I also have a prescription shampoo that I use 2x week. Between the over the counter (OTC) shampoos and the one RX I keep my scalp relatively clear and dandruff free.

Also keep any facial hair clean by using the same shampoo regiment. That's if you have side burns, goatee, mustache etc.

Best of luck,
-Stephen

Get to a dermatologist ASAP, I have psoriasis and that can present in a similar fashion. Dandruff shampoos are fine to use daily, though there are ones that contain coal tar which can help depending upon the severity. Neutrogena is the brand name here but the generic walmart with the same active ingredients works fine (and is cheaper). I also have a prescription shampoo that I use 2x week. Between the over the counter (OTC) shampoos and the one RX I keep my scalp relatively clear and dandruff free.

Also keep any facial hair clean by using the same shampoo regiment. That's if you have side burns, goatee, mustache etc.

Best of luck,
-Stephen
+1
Dermatologist can and will help you.

I agree it's best to have it diagnosed by a dermatologist so you know what it is & hopefully they can suggest something. They may or may not have a solution. My dermatologist is more concerned about basal cell skin cancer and didn't have much to offer for dealing with my mild rosacea, dermatitis & dandruff. Of course, it never seems to be at its worse when I have an appointment.

One thing, not suggested by my dermatologist, that seems to work for my scalp is rinsing my hair after shampooing with an apple cider vinegar & water solution (approx 1oz ACV to cup of water). Lightly rubbing it onto my face also seems to help with the dermatitis. If anyone tries it, keep your eyes closed tight & breathe thru your mouth until you rinse it off. The smell will disappear when your hair dries. :001_smile

I agree it's best to have it diagnosed by a dermatologist so you know what it is & hopefully they can suggest something. They may or may not have a solution. My dermatologist is more concerned about basal cell skin cancer and didn't have much to offer for dealing with my mild rosacea, dermatitis & dandruff. Of course, it never seems to be at its worse when I have an appointment.

One thing, not suggested by my dermatologist, that seems to work for my scalp is rinsing my hair after shampooing with an apple cider vinegar & water solution (approx 1oz ACV to cup of water). Lightly rubbing it onto my face also seems to help with the dermatitis. If anyone tries it, keep your eyes closed tight & breathe thru your mouth until you rinse it off. The smell will disappear when your hair dries. :001_smile

Yep, the Derm can tell you what you are actually dealing with. It might be folliculitis or some other skin condition rather than acne. There are differences and they will determine what treatment is needed.

The apple cider vinegar helps because it has acetic acid, which is antibacterial. I had to do white vinegar rinses for two weeks when I had hot tub folliculitis on my scalp.

I used to get a lot of spots in my hair. I didn't have acne, but I have quite greasy skin, and my hair is quite fine. I am also somebody who 'gets hot' easily in regards to being a bit sweaty, I'm the last person to need a hat/beanie in cold weather.

The spots were not generally '***** zits', but the were quite tender and often felt large, sometimes larger than they really were, probably due to the throbbing from being tender. I've also had the occasional dandruff breakout.

In recent years, it has been a lot lot better, with only the occasional one occurring. I've put it down to one or a combination of the below. Maybe this can give some pointers.

I'm loosing my hair through old age baldness, and I've been having a very short buzz cut for a number of years.

I've also consciously been mixing the shampoos I use, as in not washing my hair/scalp with the same product more than 2 or 3 times. (exceptions being when I travel). I use a combination of Head and Shoulders, my wife's Shiseido or Aussie, and simply washing with my facewash. (I use the Bodyshop tea tree for years, which made a huge difference with my face).

I occasionally rinse with apple cider vinegar, maybe once every 2-3 months, and then every day for a week or so until the bottle is used up. I do notice that my scalp is much healthier in the weeks afterwards.

If I get a break out/spot, I use tea tree oil neat on the spot/area, and I've found it heals up in a 24-48 hours.

Top Bottom