What's new

Scalloped Potatoes

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
This is the recipe handed down to my mother from her mother, both are Hungarian.

Scalloped Potatoes

5lbs White Potatoes
2 Large Spanish Onions
1lb Bacon
1/2 cup flour
Olive Oil
Salt
Black Pepper
Garlic Powder
Parsley
Paprika
2 qt's Milk

Put bacon on low to sweat while prepping potatoes and onions. Peel potatoes and slice 1/8" - 1/4" thick. Repeat with onions.

Cover bottom of pot with olive oil. Liberally sprinkle salt across bottom of pot.

IMG_3556.JPG

Layer potatoes slices being careful not to lay any flat on the bottom of the pan or they'll stick.

IMG_3557.JPG

Sprinkle with flour, sprinkle with garlic, black pepper, parsley and paprika. Add bacon, add onion.

IMG_3558.JPG

On to next layer. There are five layers in this pot with left over potato and onions slices on top.

IMG_3559.JPG

Add milk until pot is half full. Put on low heat and let simmer at a low boil for 4 hours (6 qts) for the seasoning to come together and make the gravy.

I'll post back in another three hours.

This is the recipe handed down to my mother from her mother, both are Hungarian.

Scalloped Potatoes

5lbs White Potatoes
2 Large Spanish Onions
1lb Bacon
1/2 cup flour
Olive Oil
Salt
Black Pepper
Garlic Powder
Parsley
Paprika
2 qt's Milk

Put bacon on low to sweat while prepping potatoes and onions. Peel potatoes and slice 1/8" - 1/4" thick. Repeat with onions.

Cover bottom of pot with olive oil. Liberally sprinkle salt across bottom of pot.

View attachment 1391175

Layer potatoes slices being careful not to lay any flat on the bottom of the pan or they'll stick.

View attachment 1391177

Sprinkle with flour, sprinkle with garlic, black pepper, parsley and paprika. Add bacon, add onion.

View attachment 1391178

On to next layer. There are five layers in this pot with left over potato and onions slices on top.

View attachment 1391181

Add milk until pot is half full. Put on low heat and let simmer at a low boil for 4 hours (6 qts) for the seasoning to come together and make the gravy.

I'll post back in another three hours.
Looks good and wholesome food.

Reminds me of my teenage years travelling through Austria and having Hungarian Ghoulash in a restaurant on the Austrian/German border.

Also growing up in the U.K. I had met a Hungarian guy and his wife - he loved eating whole raw onions.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Looks good and wholesome food.

Reminds me of my teenage years travelling through Austrian and having Hungarian Ghoulash in a restaurant on the Austrian/German border.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

You're welcome!

Hungarian Chicken Paprikash with noodles is on the list. I grew up eating it but I havent made it yet. My nephew does though. I'm not sure I can make it as well as he can lol.

9a8dd31f3d9e1849973ca4641fc5e68af157c9c8.jpg

Looks delish! I would have to invite a number of neighbors to help eat that amount. Would have to make about a quarter of the recipe
Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome!

Hungarian Chicken Paprikash with noodles is on the list. I grew up eating it but I havent made it yet. My nephew does though. I'm not sure I can make it as well as he can lol.

View attachment 1391189
I'll take that recipe if it isn't a family secret!

I made Goulash a couple weeks ago from a web search recipe, it was pretty good. I'd take a traditional family recipe of that one too.

Scalloped Potatoes have never been my thing, but this recipe xpils change that

Looking forward to seeing how they turn out

Last edited:

My mom was Slovak, so I grew up appreciating good food from that part of the world. I miss her scalloped potatoes. I don't remember her making Chicken Paprikash, but back in the '90s I worked in an office that was about a mile from a run-down luncheonette that offered 2 Hungarian lunch specials on Tues & Thurs. One was always Chicken Paprikash. I ate lunch there twice a week until they moved our office. Fast forward to 2019, and my wife hating every landscaper we ever had to trim the scrubs, blindly called someone she found on the internet. He turned out to be Hungarian. He worked alone and spent 8-9 hours trimming everything just as my wife wanted. Me being half-Slovak, the subject of food came up and I told him about the Hungarian restaurant. He returned a few days later, and not only gave my wife his recipe for Chicken Paprikash, but a small baggie of his familys homemade Paprikash, that apparently takes hours and hours to make. We sold the house the next year but by then had used up that Paprikash. I need to find a Hungarian restaurant.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
In another hour they'll be perfect...

IMG_3562.JPG

IMG_3563.JPG

Looks delish! I would have to invite a number of neighbors to help eat that amount. Would have to make about a quarter of the recipe
Thanks for sharing!

I'll be feeding six different people with this pot. I swear they can hear me take that Dutch Oven out of the cupboard haha.

I'll take that recipe if it isn't a family secret!

I made Goulash a couple weeks ago from a web search recipe, it was pretty good. I'd take a traditional family recipe of that one too.

Scalloped Potatoes have never been my thing, but this recipe xpils change that

Looking forward to seeing how they turn out

Help yourself, thats why it's here!

I'll make a thread for the chicken when I get around to doing it too.

My mom was Slovak, so I grew up appreciating good food from that part of the world. I miss her scalloped potatoes. I don't remember her making Chicken Paprikash, but back in the '90s I worked in an office that was about a mile from a run-down luncheonette that offered 2 Hungarian lunch specials on Tues & Thurs. One was always Chicken Paprikash. I ate lunch there twice a week until they moved our office. Fast forward to 2019, and my wife, hating every landscaper we ever had to trim the scrubs, blindly called someone she found on the internet. He turned out to be Hungarian. He worked alone and spent 8-9 hours trimming everything just as my wife wanted. Me being half-Slovak, the subject of food came up and I told him about the Hungarian restaurant. He returned a few days later, and not only gave my wife his recipe for Chicken Paprikash, but a small baggie of his familys homemade Paprikash, that apparently takes hours and hours to make. We sold the house the next year but by then had used up that Paprikash. I need to find a Hungarian restaurant.

Its difficult finding real authentic Hungarian food where I am in London Ontario. As far as I know, there isnt any. We do have one Hungarian restaurant. My mother had their chicken paprikash, once, maybe 40 years ago and never went back. I remember when I was little, 50 years ago now, and going to visit my grandmother. Let me tell ya, she would cook.... Scalloped potatoes, cabbage rolls, chicken parprikash with noodles and even a chocolate cake and some kind of pastry. Its just the way they did it then. A lot of that has rubbed off on me. My neighbors and friends appreciate it.

After all that heavy food you need something light for dessert :)
Somloi galuska
View attachment 1391254

I'd eat that, as the saying goes.

Awesome....keep the posts, pics, stories and traditional recipes coming.

With my wife being a Nurse and our current state, I have become the cook fulltime. New recipes like this are right up my alley and taste profile.

With my wife being a Nurse and our current state, I have become the cook fulltime. New recipes like this are right up my alley and taste profile.

Same here Bruce. My wife is also a healthcare professional who has been working long long long hours the past 20 months. Cooking duty falls on me and i love making dishes like this where we have some left overs that are easy to reheat.

Thanks @Esox , keep 'em comin'!

Its difficult finding real authentic Hungarian food where I am in London Ontario. As far as I know, there isnt any. We do have one Hungarian restaurant. My mother had their chicken paprikash, once, maybe 40 years ago and never went back. I remember when I was little, 50 years ago now, and going to visit my grandmother. Let me tell ya, she would cook.... Scalloped potatoes, cabbage rolls, chicken parprikash with noodles and even a chocolate cake and some kind of pastry. Its just the way they did it then.
I hear you. I can't find a Hungarian restaurant near me either. Why is there every other ethnic food available but Hungarian, Slovak or Polish? I miss those filled cabbage, cabbage rolls, Golumpki, whatever it's name.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

I have a few posted so far but I'll keep posting as I make things.

Cabbage Rolls, Fried Rice and a Makers Mark Moose Loin I did.

It's happening like this;

2lb Moose loin.
1 large Sweet onion, they didnt have Vidalia.
5 large parsnips, halved.
5 large carrots, peeled.
Several small white potatoes, whole.
1 bottle pickled cocktail onions.
1 can baby potatoes.
1oz...or so, Blantons Single Barrel bourbon.

Onion sliced and in the pan with about 4oz's olive oil, garlic and Rosemary. The meat is fresh frozen so a lot of blood came out of it which also went in the pan.

IMG_3158.jpg

Meat rolled and rubbed in black pepper, paprika, rock salt and on the onion with parsley sprinkled over it.

IMG_3159.jpg

Parsnips in, then in the oven at 300F.

IMG_3160.jpg

Two hours after it went in I'll add the whole peeled carrots and some water. After two more hours I'll add the whole potatoes and let it cook for at least 2 more hours checking and adding water as necessary.

After about 7 hours total, I'll add the baby potatoes, cocktail onions and make a gravy. Once the gravy is made I'll add it back into the pan with a shot or two of bourbon for another 30 minutes or so and let it boil all that brazed goodness from the bottom of the pan.

The finished product.

IMG_3162.JPG

I should have skipped the cocktail onions but they sure made the gravy tangy. Makers Mark was closer so thats what I used, a couple glugs from the bottle.

The meat is so tender I can barely pick it up. Even with a spatula it just falls apart. So there it is, Makers Mark Moose!

IMG_3163.JPG

The salt was a bit coarse and the pickled onions were a bit too tangy but that was good. Beef or pork would work just as well. Braised parsnips are among my favorite things to eat.

Bean Soup from a leftover Hickory Smoked Maple Glazed Ham.

8qts stock from 3-4lbs left over hickory smoked, maple glazed ham and bones.

IMG_3374.JPG

Boiled for 2 1/2 hours with garlic and black pepper corns then strained and into the 6qt Dutch Oven.

IMG_3375.JPG

Theres maybe 1 1/2lb's pulled ham in there with two large carrots and 3 medium Yellow onions. Seasoned to taste with salt, garlic, Rosemary and parsley.

I'll let it simmer for 2-3 hours.

The ham.

IMG_3167.JPG

2 Vidalia onions, sliced.

1/4 cup water.

2oz's olive oil.

1lb carrots.

6 large Yellow potatoes.

400ml Maple Syrup poured over the ham.

6 hours at 350F the first day. 6 hours at 300F yesterday. Basting every hour.

4 hours today at 200F. I just finished eating some again. Good God man, thats tasty. Bean soup next week, maybe.

You might like this. I sure did.

Creole Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/creole-chicken-and-sausage-jambalaya.610637/#post-11356134

Strong, bold, deep and rich flavours. I had friends wanting seconds of that.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Same here Bruce. My wife is also a healthcare professional who has been working long long long hours the past 20 months. Cooking duty falls on me and i love making dishes like this where we have some left overs that are easy to reheat.

Thanks @Esox , keep 'em comin'!

That Jambalaya was even better a day or two after. Rewarmed after sitting in the fridge. The flavours really came together.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I hear you. I can't find a Hungarian restaurant near me either. Why is there every other ethnic food available but Hungarian, Slovak or Polish? I miss those filled cabbage, cabbage rolls, Golumpki, whatever it's name.

Its even getting hard to find authentic Italian food where I am. We have one family owned pizza shop left. They've been in business nearly 50 years. All the rest are chain shops. Pop still grows his own herbs in the front window.

Homemade potato Gnocchi could also be served with Chicken Paprikash imo.

When I make it I'll have my mother show me how step by step. Her recipe has been handed down for 3 or 4 generations.

Top Bottom