What's new

scaling

First thanks to Doc226 for sourcing a video on scaling with handtools only. For those of you who have practiced this I'd appreciate counsel (some experience with pinning but none in making my own scales). Which material would be best for my first go at it -- wood, micarta?

I've noticed Dovo scales come with brass nails instead of rods. Anyone tried pinning with 14 or 15 gauge finishing nails?

Hunter I’ve made a good number of knife scales and have sold a good number of wooden pistol grips. It’s really not super hard to cut/shape wood if you are patient. I use power tools for speed, but hand tools are honestly more forgiving and will not be hard to work with if they’re sharp. I’ve never worked micarta but it should go about the same. I’ve no experience pinning razors but a lot of experience that crosses over from other stuff. Pinning with a brass nail should work just fine. As along as it’s solid brass...

First thanks to Doc226 for sourcing a video on scaling with handtools only. For those of you who have practiced this I'd appreciate counsel (some experience with pinning but none in making my own scales). Which material would be best for my first go at it -- wood, micarta?

I've noticed Dovo scales come with brass nails instead of rods. Anyone tried pinning with 14 or 15 gauge finishing nails?

Finishing nails are steel, either galvanized or plain.
Brass and nickle/silver rods typically used are resistant to rust and are soft enough for peening easily.

I don't think they're really nails, they're pins/rods with one side finished for you and the other side nail-like for ease of installing washers and collars. They just look like nails if that makes sense.
I'm guessing they're straight off the factory floor where one of the craftsmen came up with the idea years ago to only have one peen to do.

Wood, horn, micarta are all good options, they are soft enough that you can do it without power tools. G10 is a tough material to work with.

You can use brass or nickel silver are common to sue. I would not use stainless steel or any other hard metal, it would be difficult to peen.

Top Bottom