What's new

Scales for measuring SG

Bump!!

The internet is full of cheap 0.1g precision culinary scales these days. Cheap equals in the $20 range. I would pay that to go from gram (my two current scales) to tenth gram precision. I guess coffee beans have driven the scale market.

If I'm measuring immersed stone weight suspended and resting, the end result SG is the ratio of two weights taken with the same scale in the same conditions, almost simultaneously.

Tenth gram precision will give me at least three and usually four significant digits. I'm more concerned with precision than accuracy in this situation, given that the two errors due to any inaccuracy are likely to be small, of the same sign, and very close to each other in magnitude.

Plus, to estimate error, I can get a good idea of accuracy using a graduated cylinder and some lovely H2O, as per @Tomo above.

Are you happy with your scale, @Legion ?

Legion

Staff member
Bump!!

The internet is full of cheap 0.1g precision culinary scales these days. Cheap equals in the $20 range. I would pay that to go from gram (my two current scales) to tenth gram precision. I guess coffee beans have driven the scale market.

If I'm measuring immersed stone weight suspended and resting, the end result SG is the ratio of two weights taken with the same scale in the same conditions, almost simultaneously.

Tenth gram precision will give me at least three and usually four significant digits. I'm more concerned with precision than accuracy in this situation, given that the two errors due to any inaccuracy are likely to be small, of the same sign, and very close to each other in magnitude.

Plus, to estimate error, I can get a good idea of accuracy using a graduated cylinder and some lovely H2O, as per @Tomo above.

Are you happy with your scale, @Legion ?
Yeah, it seems to work pretty well. Accuracy is certainly good enough for measuring a rocks SG quite closely. It's kind of large, and takes up a bit of space (compared to regular kitchen scales), so that might be an issue for some.

Mine came with calibration weights as well, so that takes out any guess work regarding error or variation. It showed as being pretty spot on out of the box.

Last edited:
Butchers scale is another option. They tend to be very accurate and have a reasonably large range. Not sure about the resolution tho. So many variables affect SG that i don't think it is imperative to have scientific resolution.

Top Bottom