What's new

Scales cracked near pivot

So I have this Wade & Butcher For Barbers Use Razor.. Got it from ebay for a good price. There is only one issue, and that is that the scales have a crack around the pivot area. Picture is attached. I don't have it yet, still waiting for it to arrive, so this pic is taken from the listing.
I plan on doing a full restoration of this razor by myself (My first restoration.. Should be fun lol) so I will be taking it competely apart and putting on some new collars and pins (bought some replica collars, also waiting on those)
I want to fix this crack at the pivot, it doesn't have to look perfect or anything, I just want to deal with this crack properly.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
0.jpg

I've fixed cracks like that with Epoxy, sometimes CA glue also. I like using epoxy because it has a longer set-up time and you can work the stuff deep into the fissure and delaminations if there are any. Clamping might take some creativity, depends on what you have lying around. Little a-clamps can work well sometimes.

Thanks for the advice gents, I think I'll stick with epoxy, lets just say that some previous bad experiences with super glue puts me off to try that.
Would I be able to fill the crack wit epoxy so that it potrudes over the crack, so that when it sets I can just sand the top and make it flush with the scales?

Thanks for the advice gents, I think I'll stick with epoxy, lets just say that some previous bad experiences with super glue puts me off to try that.
Would I be able to fill the crack wit epoxy so that it potrudes over the crack, so that when it sets I can just sand the top and make it flush with the scales?
You certainly can, I do it regularly.

R

romsitsa

Hello, if it's only a crack, no parts are missing, I'd use superglue. If you ever got superglue on you nail or finger, it bonds to horn the same way.

Adam

Top Bottom