What's new

Scales and razor dimensions

rescale.jpg

I bought this beater to practice restoration techniques on, and as you can see the stock scales asploded. Hey, it's a work in progress. I would like to take advantage of this for my first rescale. I feel okay re-pinning and would like the practice on this one. When I had my Aust apart before I re-pinned it, I tried to put in this razor in the scales to size it up and this blade was about a millimeter too long, hence me making this thread. I guess one size doesn't fit all. Glad I checked.

I'm not ready to make my own scales yet (although it will happen), so I'm in the market for a new set of scales. What are the odds of me buying a new set of scales, and this razor also being too long for them? Are there different "vintage" and "modern" dimensions, or are there variations between manufacturers? What would be the best way to go about purchasing new scales for this razor?

Thank you.

If the blade ends up being just a mm too long you may be able to take that much off the wedge.
Oh interesting. Yeah that makes sense.

I'm also seeing replacement scales for sale that aren't pre-drilled on the pivot end, which sounds ideal. Can move things "back" a little if need be.

Thanks for the reply.

Oh interesting. Yeah that makes sense.

I'm also seeing replacement scales for sale that aren't pre-drilled on the pivot end, which sounds ideal. Can move things "back" a little if need be.

Thanks for the reply.
Undrilled is the way to go, gives you a lot more wiggle room. And you can always file the wedge out a bit but that's more involved.

Top Bottom