What's new

Scale Material. Ivory?

Well, I finally finished it up today. Didn't break anything! The blade falls a little short of the wedge, but nothing serious.

20190922_190655.jpg
20190922_190735.jpg
20190922_190835.jpg

That really needs a new wedge and to be pinned without washers.

Aww, man! For my second attempt? I would love to have done the traditional no washer approach, but I didn't like the look of those black spots around the pin in the "before" photos. They didn't seem the most robust. Not to mention my novice peening abilities...

The wedge, well that could certainly use some work! The pic made it look as bad as possible, though. I will stick with it and get better! I ordered some horn and camel bone blanks to rescale a pair of Joseph Rodgers. I suspect I won't be as nervous as with the ivory scales and I will make the wedge out of something more malleable than slate.

20190923_221911.jpg

You did a great job, the hardest part is taken them off without breaking them.

I did not realize the wedge was slate, yea, not an easy thing to work with. Horn is definitely easier to work with.

As far as pinning without washers, not that hard, just takes a lot of patience, lots of small light taps. The first time I pinned ivory it took me a few sessions, I did not want to rush it

Thanks, Doc. I'm hoping that the blanks I have coming will provide me with a couple wedges. They are brown/white streaked horn and natural camel bone, so they should be a nice complimentary contrast to one another, if there can be such a thing! The Rodgers blades have thick tangs, so the wedge will be more prominent on those scales. Need to up my game, for sure.

ajduplessis, thank you as well!

I have been gluing the wedge in before pinning. Is this recommended?

Thanks, Doc. I'm hoping that the blanks I have coming will provide me with a couple wedges. They are brown/white streaked horn and natural camel bone, so they should be a nice complimentary contrast to one another, if there can be such a thing! The Rodgers blades have thick tangs, so the wedge will be more prominent on those scales. Need to up my game, for sure.

ajduplessis, thank you as well!

I have been gluing the wedge in before pinning. Is this recommended?
I try not to glue wedges, it is not needed and makes for removal difficult.

The angle and pinning should be more than enough to hold it in place

Top Bottom