What's new

Scale Material. Ivory?

I'd really like a set of ivory scales too add to my modest collection. Knowing that many of you folks have some wicked eyes, is there any chance that these are ivory? Wish I had better pics, but this is what I have... THANKS!!!

scales.jpg

scales2.jpg
scales3.jpg

I would say yes, but they can be thin bone as well.

A clean up of them and close inspection should clear it up.

Ivory has Schreger lines, they can be seen near the edges

Bone has Haversian canals, these are small dots, this is where the vessels traverse the bones.

Thanks, Doc. Looks like I'm gonna have to buy them to find out! 23 bucks total and it looks like that blade might clean up. Hmm...

Nice, I'd like a set of ivory scales one day too, so I'd like to learn a little more about this. What's the make on the razor?

Also, are ivory and/or bone scales prone to warp?

Nice, I'd like a set of ivory scales one day too, so I'd like to learn a little more about this. What's the make on the razor?

Also, are ivory and/or bone scales prone to warp?

The razor is a C.V Heljestrand. I know they used ivory on some of their higher end razors, but I'm not sure about this one! As for the properties, I'll have to leave that for one of our resident restoration wizards. I'm a complete noob!

The razor is a C.V Heljestrand. I know they used ivory on some of their higher end razors, but I'm not sure about this one! As for the properties, I'll have to leave that for one of our resident restoration wizards. I'm a complete noob!

Nice! I'd buy it for sure! Even if the scales turn out to be bone, it's still worth that price to me. There's a lot of hone wear, but that blade looks perfectly salvageable. It could be cleaned up real nice.

I would say that has been rescaled in bone, C.V Heljestrand did use Ivory for scales this is mine in Ivory so you know what to look for.

mk30 ivory.jpg

If you look you can see the Schreger lines....

Thanks for that, Ian. We'll know for sure in a couple days! My hopes aren't too high, but nor was the monetary outlay.

Thanks for that, Ian. We'll know for sure in a couple days! My hopes aren't too high, but nor was the monetary outlay.

Yeah its hard to know until it has been cleaned up, but I hope they are Ivory for you as that would be a wicked score....

But to me they dont look right and have more of a bone look....

I would say yes, but they can be thin bone as well.

A clean up of them and close inspection should clear it up.

Ivory has Schreger lines, they can be seen near the edges

Bone has Haversian canals, these are small dots, this is where the vessels traverse the bones.

Yeah its hard to know until it has been cleaned up, but I hope they are Ivory for you as that would be a wicked score....

HE SCORES!!! (I think) A little toothpaste and I'm liking what I see...

20190906_165937.jpg
20190906_165920.jpg

Last edited:
Ivory it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now, THAT'S the news I was hoping to hear!

They are in pretty good shape, but the blade has a bit of a frown. There is an MK 30 inbound. If it fits, the blade may just have a new home.
il_794xN.1976769112_gfa9.jpg

@CongaJon G
That was a tough call though before cleaning. The "ripple" pattern said ivory, but the dirt on it made it look more like bone. Ivory is usually cut pretty thin btw. Now that you have a clean set of ivory scales in hand it makes identifying other potential ivory a lot easier.
Rub them down with mineral oil before doing any unpinning or repinning work to condition them and help prevent cracking. It is also a good general preventative measure for any ivory scales you may have in the future. Mineral oil may need to be used after repair work though (like repairing cracks or lining scales) so the adhesive can bond better.

@JamesBlades
Ivory and bone are less prone to warping than celluloid. Ivory is the hardest so it is less likely to warp, but more likely to crack. Ivory is similar to teeth so it is tough stuff. A thicker set of ivory scales is not going to warp, but if you have a set of scales that are paper thin they might bow inward a bit.

The only way to remove those scales is to drill them out, do not try to use flush cutters or drive a punch through. You might get away with filing down the pin.

Nice scales, I hope they fit. Refitting my Ring with custom giraffe bone scales for a similar look to ivory, but with a bit of grain. Bone and ivory is heavy and will dramatically change the balance/weight of the razor. Once completed this razor should last another century or three.

4C6AEECF-7267-42FF-A148-3537F5C72737.jpeg

Rub them down with mineral oil before doing any unpinning or repinning work to condition them and help prevent cracking. It is also a good general preventative measure for any ivory scales you may have in the future.

The only way to remove those scales is to drill them out, do not try to use flush cutters or drive a punch through.

Refitting my Ring with custom giraffe bone scales for a similar look to ivory, but with a bit of grain.

Joshua, thank you for that. I soaked them in oil prior to a largely successful unpinning operation.

Doc, that's exactly what I did. Thanks! The bit walked a little in one spot, but I filled the holes with CA for redrilling and I plan on using a small collar, so no biggie. The scales crumbled, but I'll take that! I was nervous as hell drilling them out.

AJ, that is one hunk of giraffe bone. Must have come from the neck!

Now I'm trying to decide what to do with the scales. They are a little longer than the ones on the MK 30, but with a slightly longer wedge I think it will look fine. On the other hand, the original blade cleaned up pretty well, BUT it's still frowning. Both blades look better than in the photo. I'm leaning towards that MK 30 in ivory!

What would you do?

20190911_214739.jpg

Nice scales, I hope they fit. Refitting my Ring with custom giraffe bone scales for a similar look to ivory, but with a bit of grain. Bone and ivory is heavy and will dramatically change the balance/weight of the razor. Once completed this razor should last another century or three.

View attachment 1015840
Those giraffe bone scales are really nice. I've seen some beautiful knife handles made from dyed giraffe bone as well. If I was still making scales I would like to have some giraffe and camel bone to work with.

Top Bottom