What's new

Scale blanks and freebie

Can I get a second guess like the other gentleman. Pretty please with sugar on top? Silky Oak.
Lol, you could be right with your 1st guess... or maybe not...
Ok since were going slow I'll make it a free for ALL.
You can all guess as many times as you want to for this 1. (no google list pastes)

As required thanks so much for the PIF
Here is the first restore, the second one will look better once I get more help haha

$20130315_193925.jpg

Is that a re-scaled feather??
I've been slack and haven't done anything with my free scales yet, sorry Dan.
In my defense I have a fantastic six week old excuse.

Is that a re-scaled feather??
I've been slack and haven't done anything with my free scales yet, sorry Dan.
In my defense I have a fantastic six week old excuse.
Lol, yes you do. But hang on.... You already had some other blanks didn't you. Your excused lol you did post a pic of your Ironwood 1s.

Oh they keep using this timber on "the block", i seen it again the other night.

Its a re-scaled CJB, I wasn't a big fan of the plastic grip but these wood ones work quite well.
I am saving the other blanks I got for my nice 7/8th blade
Just gotta figure out how to shape it more. I am liking the pointy tips, might copy your design Newtobengall!

Its a re-scaled CJB, I wasn't a big fan of the plastic grip but these wood ones work quite well.
I am saving the other blanks I got for my nice 7/8th blade
Just gotta figure out how to shape it more. I am liking the pointy tips, might copy your design Newtobengall!
Did you get pointed blanks? The round should be big enough anyway. Copy away, lol. As for shape, The more time you put into sanding the better they will look, I try to get a nice rounded shape to the outer surface, rather than just softening the corners. If that makes sense.

They are rounded for the blackheart sassafra but long enough that I can make it pointed. I am stoked to work on these and actually get them fully rounded like yours vs just softening the corners. I understand what you mean and I'll try it with these scales as this wood is quite nice.
I enjoy working with wood vs the acrylic ones I've been working with.

They are rounded for the blackheart sassafra but long enough that I can make it pointed. I am stoked to work on these and actually get them fully rounded like yours vs just softening the corners. I understand what you mean and I'll try it with these scales as this wood is quite nice.
I enjoy working with wood vs the acrylic ones I've been working with.
Yep def do the Sassafras round, they look sweet, and its rare timber.
I double sided tape them together (sand surface flat and to 2000 1st) then i use an angle grinder, yep. Put a sanding disc on it and they eat wood like butter, with that you can match the scales, then take an even 45 degree of the edge of each surface then soften the 45. Make sense?
Then its back to the hand sand process, 180/240-3000.
My entry in the GD comp is B H Sassafras, take a look there rounded, with a flat lip at the top.

Oh be careful, this method is quick but easy to stuff up.

Last edited:
Merbau, also known maybe as kwila. From Queensland Australia or the island of Samoa. Hope I get this right. I have a razor that could use a set of scales.

Last edited:
This is the myrtle i won ages ago in this sweet thread. Finally finished it, wedge is bone and the blade is an cvh nr 2

proxy.php

proxy.php

hmm so how do i really get the pics in here and not by link?

This is the myrtle i won ages ago in this sweet thread. Finally finished it, wedge is bone and the blade is an cvh nr 2

proxy.php

proxy.php

hmm so how do i really get the pics in here and not by link?
Sweet, its hard to get a good pic that captures the grain hey. I like the extra big points, nice job!

Grain is showing off more in reality, the darn carnubawax is clogging it up i guess. Tried to smooth it out but i am not that patient.

Top Bottom