What's new

Scale blanks and freebie

The more work you put in the better the results, When i do a set using the same blanks it takes about 3 hours of tools and hand sanding to get them ready to finish. then if i CA finish it takes another hour or so to apply coats and re-sand/polish.

I'm thinking a type of yew... not sure if any particular ones are indigenous to BOTH the Alps & Amazon, but Sumatran Yew would be the closest to both elevation over 10,000 (I think 12k is their top point) AND a tropical climate.

Ok Sorry all been awhile, But your all guessing wrong, lol. Well except 1 who is spot on the dot.
Thats ya hint, theres 3 sets left.
BakerAndBadger is a winner, but his answer's wrong.
Good luck, lets get this 1 done!!!
The next timber is real nice.

Sorry all been out of action for awhile. back now...Results and new contest comming.
Thanks to all for having a crack at it. Dan.

I know but a man can dream haha. I read through the whole thread and thought it was a fun idea. Plus I learned a lot.

Oh yes this is very true!!! But yes this is how old threads get brought back to life, to me that is a good thing as you say a lot of good info lies in the past and well worth digging out.....

Hi Everybody, I'm sorry I haven't been around for awhile. I hope you all are doing well. I feel like I let you all down, And I'm truly sorry for that.. I had a lot of fun running this thread and am surprised to see that after all these years it's still one of the most viewed and replied to threads in the restoration part of the forum.

I'd like to thank you all for taking part and showing so much interest. I hope everybody who has read through, Or participated enjoyed it. And I hope some of you learnt something new about one of my passions that is Tasmanian/Australian native timbers.

I am still an avid collector of vintage razors, And always will be. I haven't done much in the way of restorations for a few years now, However I still have a lot of these blanks left over from running this thread.

I'd be happy to do something similar to give those who didn't get a chance back in the day to get their hands on some of these hard to find Tasmanian timbers, But I think the "guess this timber" has pretty much run it's coarse..
It would be great to hear any ideas any of you may have about starting a new type of competition.

I would also really love to see some photo's of the finished scale blanks some of you had the opportunity to work with. Thanks again, Dan.

Top Bottom