What's new

SBAD Results in New Four Brush Rotation

I think many of you will understand and sympathize with this sad story. Late last year I began to think I needed to add a new brush to the group I was already using. So I began looking into brushes to see what I might want next. I ended up with a "short list" of contenders but was having a hard time picking one. I like to think it was just a strange set of circumstances that occurred, but without going into the details I ended getting 3 brushes on my list, and then for good measure added the Amici brush too. I didn't set out to buy a set of large brushes, but since I started out looking for a large brush, it turns out I ended up with several, and am now developing a fondness for larger brushes. Here's a picture (sadly I'm not a good photographer) of my new 4-brush rotation. After the photo I'll add a few words about each just in case anyone out there is considering one of these.

From left to right here is a description of each brush you're seeing in the photo:
1 - This is the Amici mixed boar and Badger brush. There's a whole long thread on this brush. So I won't go into a lot of detail on it. I'll confirm what others have said - that it makes lather incredibly easily, and is a nice compromise for someone who likes to both face lather and bowl lather. It's handle is a wee bit shorter than I prefer for bowl lathering, but still I have used it successfully a lot that way. I prefer to use it for face lathering though. As others have noted it started out scritchier than I like. It has softened some after about a dozen uses, but I'm hoping it will still soften more.

2 - As part of this SBAD thing I was going through at least I had the good sense to sell off or swap a few brushes before I bought several replacements. I sold both a Thater and a Shavemac 3-band brush. I had a hard time telling the two apart. Both were incredibly soft, but had just a wee bit less backbone than I like. One of the replacements was this 2-band Thater 4125 size 2 which is 26mm with a loft of 54 (nominally for both). It has all the wonderful softness I liked in the 3-band Thater and Shavemac I sold but has increased backbone to make this an incredible brush for me. It too makes lather easily, gives it up easily, and has that cloud-soft Thater feel with a nice amount of bakcbone.

3 - OK. I just have to say this thing is a monster. It's a Simpson Polo 10 in Best. I'ts even bigger than the last one at 27mm by 56 loft. To me, that's BIG. This particular Best hair is really nice and soft, almost like 3-band, not like some of the scitchier Best that sometimes come on Simpson brushes. But because it's Best, it has really solid backbone. This thing is just a giant mop of a brush - but in a good way. In fact it might be the ultimate bowl latherer. I know there are plenty of brushes that would give it a run for its money, but not many that would beat it out. I have also used it for face lathering. Unlike some on this forum, I don't look for particularly small brushes to face lather with - although my Duke 2 is still a favorite. But this one works surprisingly well for me when I choose to face lather with it.

4 - And I saved the best for last. Moonjava is a "love it or hate it" thing for many. I started out in the "hate it" camp, but over a year or more of looking at occasional pictures I developed kind of a lust for one. This is the surprise buy of all time for me. I was really undecided between two "classics" - a Chubby 2 or a Rooney (or M&F) 2XL. Then one day this Chubby 2 clone showed up on BST. It happens to be an RV creation, but the knot is a Shavemac D01 3-band in Chubby 2 dimensions. As best as I can estimate the dimensions of the knot it is 28 by 50. Here's the thing about this brush. Maybe (? don't really have a single favorite) my favorite brush is a Shavemac 3-band I have in a much more modest 24 or 25 mm size with a loft in the 50 range. I love, love that knot. So not surprisingly, I really, really love this knot too. In fact I just love this brush so much that I can't believe I would have loved a Chubby 2 or a 2XL any more. Maybe some day I'll buy one to compare this one too, but for now this is just an incredible brush. I couldn't recommend it highly enough to any of you who might be considering this type of brush. The fact that it's in moonjave just adds to the "specialness" of this brush for me. Not sure how many Chubby 2's (probably zero) or Rooney 2XLs (robably zero) or M&F 2XL-styled brushed in moon java exist, but I'm ecstatic to own this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice lineup! All you need is a Rooney (i suggest heritage) to round it out. Besides if you shave 5 days a week?? I shave 365/yr but only use 2 brushes.

Can someone out there that has a Rooney 2XL tell what the dimensions of the knot are. I'd love to see if the my brush on the right in the picture is the same size as a 2XL.

Top Bottom