What's new

SB Half Time Show

So what did we think of Rhianna's Super Bowl half-time show?

I thought she sang amazingly well for someone not usually credited with being a great vocalist. I bet the high-altitude floats were really something live. On TV they still triggered my own fear of heights. An impressive engineering feat, and something worth seeing. But I do not know that they added all that much to the music and dancing.

The dancing seemed pretty pedestrian to me. There were a lot of dancers. I guess that added to the impact. I did not really get the costumes. Maybe I am just old. And, okay, Rhianna is pregnant--again. That did not help or hurt the show, to me. I must be getting more and more old-fashioned as I get older and older. Rhianna and her boyfriend are now rumored to be considering getting married, since this second child is on the way.

I guess I liked that the show was really just Rhianna and not a bunch of guest stars. It was coherent. I liked that it was greatest hits and not new stuff. Of course, she has not put out anything new for seven years and apparently has nothing now in the works. Performers get paid nothing for doing the SB. I wonder why she bothered if she has nothing new to try to promote.

I wonder why a good SB half-time show seems so hard to pull off. To me, Prince was by far the best one and he did it in the rain.

I basically like Rhianna's music. The songwriting on and production of her recordings seem excellent. The best money can buy. She is easy on the eyes and seems to have a warm personality that seems to come out in her vocals. I guess I thought this show was okay, not great, and it must have cost a fortune.

I can't blame you for that! I do not normally pay much attention to the SB commercials, but I can understand how some folks are into them. I did not notice anything standing out to me as wonderful this time around. I guess the Jack Harlow one with the triangle seemed dumb or worse.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Maybe I am just old.

And the bottoms of your trousers are rolled.

1676360039349.png

Yes, do I dare to eat a peach? Shall I part my hair behind?

Would it have been worth while,
To have bitten off the matter with a smile,
To have squeezed the universe into a ball
To roll it towards some overwhelming question,
To say: “I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all”—
If one, settling a pillow by her head
Should say: “That is not what I meant at all;
That is not it, at all.”

I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think that they will sing to me.

We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I liked it, but it ran too long for me. While I do agree that I liked how "coherent" it was (you nailed it there), it was a little too coherent for me. Frankly, I got bored somewhere around halfway through. I probably would have enjoyed it more had it been shot better. Stadium shows are not designed to be seen from a point of view right next to the star. That gets old with me very quickly.

I liked it, but it ran too long for me. While I do agree that I liked how "coherent" it was (you nailed it there), it was a little too coherent for me. Frankly, I got bored somewhere around halfway through. I probably would have enjoyed it more had it been shot better. Stadium shows are not designed to be seen from a point of view right next to the star. That gets old with me very quickly.
Good points! In a way the rather amazing "set" trapped Rhianna and others on those rafts! Also, I had not thought of Rhianna's hits sounding all that much alike, but in this show they did.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Good points! In a way the rather amazing "set" trapped Rhianna and others on those rafts! Also, I had not thought of Rhianna's hits sounding all that much alike, but in this show they did.

Indeed, I commented to my wife that it started feeling like I was listening to the same show and watching the same number for nearly 15 minutes. Again, it was a good show, but they could have mixed things up a little for shaved a few minutes off. No big deal.

Yes, Prince was incredible. Lady Gaga wasn't far behind.

I have a different opinion on the half-time show. I don't think she is much of a singer. She has limited range. The worst part is that a musician feels like they must grab their crotch. If you are really a great musician is that really necessary? It cheapend everything and any respect I had for her was gone.

Last edited:
I don't think she is much of a singer. She has limited range.
As I indicated early that has been a knock against her for a long time. But I thought she did a great job at the SB half-time show. I really like the way she sounds and conveys emotion, regardless of range, but I did not think she would necessarily be able to carry it off live. Although I guess I saw her show on Memorial Day in DC on the Mall some years back and she was in good voice there, too.

and any respect I had for her was gone.
Ahhhhh! Next thing you are going to tell us you don't like Her video with Drake for "Work"! :) No dis, but I am guessing you were not very familiar with her oeuvre before the SB show or, if you were, did not have any respect for her in the first instance. The SB show was very mild for her.

I don't like any "musician" that grabs their crotch. It's vulgar, it has nothing to do with their music. If it's important to the show then maybe their music is not enough to hold the show on it's own.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I, too, found the music and the choreography alright, not stunning, and repetitive. Rihanna did an alright job but for the crotch grabbing, and although it was an impressive feat for a relative new mother who was also expecting another, that does not make it better as entertainment. The set concept was enthralling but only for a few minutes. It really does take a phenomenally good live performer to live up that sort of hype. Gaga did it. Prince did it. No one else has done it. I would rather they skip it unless they can find others of that caliber, somebody who does not need to lip sync or fake musicianship. This will doubtless date me, but I would rather they put on a band with some chops that has played a lot of big venues to good reviews.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
She sang well because she was lip singing. And she looked like a tomato. She‘s not the type of artist that can command the stage by herself during a halftime show. I didn’t like it. But I also don’t like her music.

She sang well because she was lip singing. And she looked like a tomato. She‘s not the type of artist that can command the stage by herself during a halftime show. I didn’t like it. But I also don’t like her music.
I do not think she is lip synching here:

Top Bottom