What's new

Saying, "Merry Christmas."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was shocked last Saturday to learn one of the offspring didn't know what Hanukah was all about. It started around an ornament that somewhat resembled a dreidel, and while they picked up on that, one asked what Hanukah was. That just about floored me. When I was a kid, it was known well enough that I picked it up, but the offspring didn't have a clue. Was thinking about that this morning. Our culture prides itself on being diverse, and yet seems to know less about each other than we ever did.
Sad but true

Ive not noticed anyone who was, "relieved". I mean, its not as if it was ever a law that you couldnt say, "Merry Christmas".
Even still, unless you know someone is Christian, its kind of dumb and downright rude to say it to them under the assumption that they are Christian and actually celebrate Christmas.
Thats why I stand by and will always stand by the practice of saying, "happy holidays". It covers you bases in terms of faith and covers both Christmas and new year's.

Saying “happy holidays“ puts Christmas on level with other religious holidays. Some people are uncomfortable with that idea.

Well, no one was ever promised comfort on this big old spinning rock. I figure a bit of cognitive dissonance recognition and exposure to new ideas helps keep the mind sharp. Avoiding it makes it atrophy.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
There is no war on Christmas
No one is trying to purge Christmas or Christianity
The majority is the victim. Up is down.
Boo hoo hoo the cashier didn't say merry Christmas
Every year it's the same malarkey

Well, last Sunday was Bodhi Day on the Gregorian calendar but I didn't get too twisted out of shape that nobody was honoring Lord Buddha's supreme awakening.

Yes! I have seen more people saying Merry Christmas this year than I can in my whole life.

It's almost as if we as a people have determined the emperor has no clothes.

Besides, saying happy holidays is essentially the same. Holy-days...
I never got the north Americanism of happy holidays, to me it's always been Christmas.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It's not the first time and certainly won't be the last in my life when I realize the Buddhists have it pretty well figured out.

I try to follow Buddhist tenets in my daily routines and read Mushashi's Dokkodo daily to help keep myself grounded.

Buddhism is a philosophy, not a religion. I am, first and foremost, a Christian and Christmas is very important to me. Others have different beliefs and I respect that.

That is why I adopted the stance (stated earlier) that everyone should simply express the greeting that works for them. If I greet someone with "Merry Christmas" and they respond with "Happy Festivus" or "Happy Hanukkah" or "Happy Kwanzaa" or whatever, that's great.

Why do some people these days get so offended by a simple greeting?

YMMV

I'm not about to discourage or be offended by anyone offering me a kind word at this time of year. Whether it's happy holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Diwali, or anything else. I'm going to respond with love and kindness. The words in this case take a back seat to the intention.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I suspect that people are not really offended by the greeting or by any greeting, but rather by perceived changes in their society and community which they may not understand and about which they feel they have not been consulted. The grievance, in this case a greeting, is merely a symptom.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I suspect that people are not really offended by the greeting or by any greeting, but rather by perceived changes in their society and community which they may not understand and about which they feel they have not been consulted. The grievance, in this case a greeting, is merely a symptom.

My thoughts exactly.

Was shocked last Saturday to learn one of the offspring didn't know what Hanukah was all about. It started around an ornament that somewhat resembled a dreidel, and while they picked up on that, one asked what Hanukah was. That just about floored me. When I was a kid, it was known well enough that I picked it up, but the offspring didn't have a clue. Was thinking about that this morning. Our culture prides itself on being diverse, and yet seems to know less about each other than we ever did.

This five-minute video gives a good explanation. The real miracle was overthrowing Greek oppression. The Channukah lamp burning for eight days is a minor part of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom