What's new

Saying, "Merry Christmas."

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has happened several times now after paying for my purchase whether at a Dunkin' Doughnuts, or a department store. I say, "Merry Christmas" and the clerk looks visibly relieved to be able to say, "Merry Christmas" back to me. Anyone else notice this?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
It has happened several times now after paying for my purchase whether at a Dunkin' Doughnuts, or a department store. I say, "Merry Christmas" and the clerk looks visibly relieved to be able to say, "Merry Christmas" back to me. Anyone else notice this?
Yes! I have seen more people saying Merry Christmas this year than I can in my whole life.

It's almost as if we as a people have determined the emperor has no clothes.

Besides, saying happy holidays is essentially the same. Holy-days...

I say whatever comes to mind! But I have had some folks say Merry Christmas in an almost combative tone, as if daring me to disagree. Reminds me of Scrooge growling Good afternoon to his nephew! I've worked in a retail setting for almost 20 years, and only 1 firm (wally world) "recommended" we say Happy Holidays, and that was 10 years ago.

If I show relief, it's because the person on the other side of the counter *isn't* angry!

Eric; M, Karve Diem, BOSC

The whole, "War on Christmas" was a load of nonsense. I have yet to meet an immigrant, or anyone else who took umbrage at being wished the best of the holiday season. They are just as likely to reply in kind, in my experience.

Well, if you look like the sort of person who celebrates Christmas and/or are doing something that makes it obvious that you are celebrating Christmas, then there clearly won't be a problem (such as when I was buying a few books of the Madonna-and-child stamps at the post office for my Christmas cards.) But those like me who live in, shall we say, more multicultural areas (my neighborhood has substantial south Asian and middle-eastern populations) should really be aware that many people you run into over the course of a day are not going to be celebrating the holiday. One appears less of an insensitive lout when remembering that, and it is generally considered impolite to present oneself as such. Fortunately, as noted immediately above, most people will have enough manners and grace to understand the greeting in the spirit it was meant and not make a stink about it. But it's usually just as sensible to not unnecessarily put oneself in the position in the first place.

Nah - the whole “war” on Merry Christmas might as well have been a massive fake news, propaganda campaign here in the parts of Kansas I live in. There has never any conflict over saying Merry Christmas or happy holidays here unless self inflicted. That malarkey must have been a Coast thing. I still don’t believe it was ever a thing. I guess we aught to have given old Bing a harder time back in the day for having made things harder for Christians on the coasts.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This time of year makes me glad that I don’t work in retail anymore. A certain cable “news” channel (parentheses used because most American cable news is, at best, infotainment) started this garbage years ago. Many different people celebrate holidays at this time of year. Saying “happy holidays” is a nice generic thing to say. There is no need to get all bent out of shape because someone didn’t say what you wanted to. I can guarantee that most people working retail wish that they weren’t- it sucks. Try not to be a jerk- good words by which to live.

This is from the 50s- no one had a problem with it then.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Nah - the whole “war” on Merry Christmas might as well have been a massive fake news, propaganda campaign here in the parts of Kansas I live in. There has never any conflict over saying Merry Christmas or happy holidays here unless self inflicted. That malarkey must have been a Coast thing. I still don’t believe it was ever a thing. I guess we aught to have given old Bing a harder time back in the day for having made things harder for Christians on the coasts.

I posted the Andy Williams version- should have done this one.

The War on Christmas was about nativity scenes being banned, Christmas trees being called holiday trees, Christmas Parties being called holiday parties, etc.

When I lived in FL employees in several stores said they were directed to say Happy Holidays even though someone wished them a Merry Christmas. One employee in a major department store told me she was directed not to say Merry Christmas even if someone said that to her. I emailed the head office of the retailer and received a response confirming that policy.

So far in AZ the only time store personnel that have not replied in kind were employees in an Apple and Nike stores. However, I did not ask them if they were directed not to say Merry Christmas.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Nativity scenes being displayed on public property, not being banned altogether. If you are going to respect one religion on the public grounds, then you need to respect them all. I know that annoys some people to no end, but we have this pesky thing called the Constitution.

Nativity scenes being displayed on public property, not being banned altogether. If you are going to respect one religion on the public grounds, then you need to respect them all. I know that annoys some people to no end, but we have this pesky thing called the Constitution.

Here is what the Constitution says:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Here is what the Constitution says:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
And the Supreme Court has ruled that any display of religious nature goes against that.

And the Supreme Court has ruled that any display of religious nature goes against that.

There have been only two Supreme Court decisions on this issue. Take a look at this summary of Supreme Court decisions. All you would have to do is to include a secular display and it will pass the legal test.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
There have been only two Supreme Court decisions on this issue. Take a look at this summary of Supreme Court decisions. All you would have to do is to include a secular display and it will pass the legal test.
Yes, and the same people who get twisted around the axle about “happy holidays” also tend to get twisted over secular displays, too. Those are the same people that I purposely say Feliz Navidad to, because Spanish is another trigger point for them. :)

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Another source for constitutional law scholarship, outdoor nativity store .com
I think they missed a few cases. However i didn't get the time to closely read their law review article.

christmas-peace.jpg

Yep, same thing here. I think most people prefer "merry Christmas" and appreciate the response. People are not as stuffy about it as the media or certain groups would have us believe.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

On the coasts it is generally not safe to assume that anybody you run into celebrates Christmas no matter what they look like, and everyone's money is the same shade of green, so it's generally thought to be good form for businesses to put some effort into not offending anyone. Especially if that business has a multicultural customer base. That would work fine until somebody gets annoyed at hearing Happy Holidays from some store clerk instead of Merry Christmas. I have no idea how or why that should be annoying, but all that does is just add to everyone's headaches. In general the easiest way to get through life is to cut people a little slack and don't let anyone else give you reason to think you should be outraged about things like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom