What's new

Saying Hello and Looking for Recommendations

Welcome aboard!

Great list!

I suggest you add a Wolfman or two! These are top-quality, Canadian made razors. :a29:

Welcome aboard!

Great list!

I suggest you add a Wolfman or two! These are top-quality, Canadian made razors. :a29:
I've heard mixed things about the WolfMan. It's just from what I've seen it's a 500 dollar+ razor and he is only taking Stainless Steel orders at the moment. I kind of have enough Stainless steel right now. When he opens up other materials I'll take a look again. :)

I have the Timeless Titanium next on my list, really love the scalloped design in the pictures. It looks like it's a heavier razor based on the handle but I guess I'll find out once I buy it.

I'm assuming you have one you shave with everyday?

Not every day, but it's definitely a favorite. I have a stainless, so it's heavier than the titanium one you're eyeing. I think you'll probably find the titanium model to be a very agile shaver.

Not every day, but it's definitely a favorite. I have a stainless, so it's heavier than the titanium one you're eyeing. I think you'll probably find the titanium model to be a very agile shaver.

Stainless is heavy haha, almost all of my razors are that material and wanted to try something different. I've been curious about Titanium though I have to admit the Timeless Bronze looks amazing in pictures. However I'm not exactly sure how I feel about Patina. It seems they're the only premium razor to be offering Bronze and Titanium in stock right now.

I ordered a Karve Christopher Bradley in Brass (probably the cheapest of all the premium razors I'm buying unless I go for the Merkur Futur) which is supposed to form a Patina so I'll probably go with the Safe bet of Titanium and if I end up liking the Patina on the Brass I might go for a Bronze later. Some people love the patina but I haven't had any razor that does that so will have to see through experience.

Anyway, do you have the scalloped/safety or open comb?
My preference has usually been safety but according to an email I sent they said the SCalloped comb is for 2-3 days versus 1-2 for the regular safety in between shaves.

I have the 0.95mm gap open comb. If I'd bought it new I'd have picked the scalloped bar, but I got it off BST here. However, I took part in a Timeless pass-around that included the scalloped bar, and honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between that and the OC. To me, the blade feel was more or less the same (which isn't much blade feel at all).

I have the 0.95mm gap open comb. If I'd bought it new I'd have picked the scalloped bar, but I got it off BST here. However, I took part in a Timeless pass-around that included the scalloped bar, and honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between that and the OC. To me, the blade feel was more or less the same (which isn't much blade feel at all).
Hmm. Well I finally got an idea of Blade Feel with the blackbird I just got. I'm not sure if I love it but I do like alternating between shave to experience the different. Can't say I really like one way or the other.

I'll probably go for the Scalloped then. I can't use the BST for another 45 day, LoL.

Just thought I'd update this if anyone was curious what I've got now:

Tatara Masamune Dark (Ordered from Portugal)
Timeless Titanium (Ordered)
Tradare (Ordered)
Feather As-D2 (in hand)
Blackland Black Bird (In Hand)
Seygus Zepplin V2 Ti (In Hand)

I caved for the Seygus and Tatara because well... the Tatara looks awesome and the Seygus had a frown which was different.

Currently waiting for the Haircut and Shave Titanium and Paradigm release in a few months maybe...

I've had a couple of Karve brass razors. If you do not like the patina, give it a little polish. Use an old toothbrush and some toothpaste. A light scrub and the razor is like new again.

I've had a couple of Karve brass razors. If you do not like the patina, give it a little polish. Use an old toothbrush and some toothpaste. A light scrub and the razor is like new again.
So you're saying the Polish can be returned just by tooth paste? I was wondering if the Patina meant that there would be layers of the razor being stripped off everytime. I've heard vinegar was a solution as well.

So you're saying the Polish can be returned just by tooth paste? I was wondering if the Patina meant that there would be layers of the razor being stripped off everytime. I've heard vinegar was a solution as well.
Yep, just tooth paste and a little effort. It cleans off nicely. Not super shiny. Just natural brass matte color, like new.

Yep, just tooth paste and a little effort. It cleans off nicely. Not super shiny. Just natural brass matte color, like new.
Yeah I've already ordered the Karve in Brass. I think I want to experiment with the Patina though. I wonder how I'd like it once it is since everything else I've bought is pretty much going to be shiny.

Also wanted to post this because the Tatara Masamune arrived today.

Attachments

• Japanese Soaps.jpg
    Japanese Soaps.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 2
Though I understand your not wanting to send $ China's way, It's kind of a shame because you'll be missing out on a lot of fun. Lately I've been scouring AliExpress for cheap gear to try. So far I have discovered Yaqi and have purchased about ½ dozen of their razors (total cost <$50). All have been serviceable, a few actually good and one was outstanding!

Anyway... Welcome to the forum and enjoy your journey down the wet shaving rabbit hole.

🪒🪒🪒

Though I understand your not wanting to send $ China's way, It's kind of a shame because you'll be missing out on a lot of fun. Lately I've been scouring AliExpress for cheap gear to try. So far I have discovered Yaqi and have purchased about ½ dozen of their razors (total cost <$50). All have been serviceable, a few actually good and one was outstanding!

Anyway... Welcome to the forum and enjoy your journey down the wet shaving rabbit hole.

🪒🪒🪒
I'll be sending money their way with every badger brush I buy. Thanks for the welcome! :)

!Hi Ringer! Welcome to a place where wet shaving is discussed. I pop in here from time to time. You mentioned signing up recently. My first post here was 9 + years ago. I’m not a regular poster currently. I drifted away maybe 5 years ago though I stop in on occasion. You asked for suggestions and or recommendations, shaving related. Here’s mine-

Pick up a straight razor, preferably from one of the old hands that sell straight razors to newbish folks such as yourself, though I’m assuming you’ve yet to sample a straight razor in your own hand?

FWIW I bought a Feather DE a few years ago, two of them and gave one to friend. They were purchased through MassDrop. What I like about this razor, I can effortlessly shave ATG between my upper lip & nose, my most sensitive facial realty

!Hi Ringer! Welcome to a place where wet shaving is discussed. I pop in here from time to time. You mentioned signing up recently. My first post here was 9 + years ago. I’m not a regular poster currently. I drifted away maybe 5 years ago though I stop in on occasion. You asked for suggestions and or recommendations, shaving related. Here’s mine-

Pick up a straight razor, preferably from one of the old hands that sell straight razors to newbish folks such as yourself, though I’m assuming you’ve yet to sample a straight razor in your own hand?

FWIW I bought a Feather DE a few years ago, two of them and gave one to friend. They were purchased through MassDrop. What I like about this razor, I can effortlessly shave ATG between my upper lip & nose, my most sensitive facial realty
I actually have 2 straights.
A feather SS Club and an Art of Shaving razor.
I have to say that I didn't like using the straight razor so much, the honing and stropping wasn't really something I enjoyed so much so I bought the Feather Straight Artist Club to be able to shave without all that in between.

The Art of Shaving Razor however now has rusts and dents on it because I didn't store it properly (kept it near the brushes in the bathroom for about a year and noticed all the markings now, so it's not in usable condition. I could send it in for restoration or try doing it myself though).

I use the Feather SS from time to time (usually on weekends when I have much more time to shave), but find I really prefer the weight and feel of a safety razor. Like safety razors are fun to use while the Straight kind of tests my patience... though I have to admit that using one makes me feel more like a man I don't enjoy it as much as I do whipping up a lather with soap.

I have this thread on watch so I get a notification whenever someone posts in it, hence my quick responses here LoL.
And thanks for the welcome.

Top Bottom