What's new

Say goodbye to PA

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I got one as well.
I was searching for a retailer last night and saw where someone had contacted
P&C and was told PA was being discontinued. True or not; I don’t know but I canceled my order and ordered 8oz of Match PA from WV Smoke Shop to have while all this stuff works itself out. Reviews of the Match are good enough for me. Might want to consider it because the Match seems to be selling out. I recently bought some Match Carter Hall and while it it isn’t exactly the same as CH, it is basically the same. Topping is different but it provides just as good of a smoke. I expect the same with Match PA.

I wonder though, is it being discontinued? Or is this retailer no longer stocking it? The little difference between "its being discontinued" compared to "we're discontinuing it".

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I wonder though, is it being discontinued? Or is this retailer no longer stocking it? The little difference between "its being discontinued" compared to "we're discontinuing it".
I believe it is one of three things:
1. It is actually being discontinued
2. PA is discontinuing their Vanilla and Cherry causing some confusion.
3. The company put out the rumor on purpose.

I canceled my order of PA and ordered a half pound of Match PA while it is still available. While the CH Match isn’t identical to CH, I find it just as good as a blend on its own. I expect the same with PA and the reviews are, for the most part, very good.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I hope it's fairly fresh, but we'll see I guess. If not, there are ways to rehydrate. And I'm not sure if it was me being nice leaving the other pouches. Part of it is those codgers earned their brands, part of it is I didn't need it. I may wish I had bought more, it wouldn't be the first time (Field and Stream Match, I'm looking at you!).

As far as the OTC hate, it's easy to knock this brands. I get it. They're what our fathers, grandfathers, uncles, and neighbors scoped and puffed on for decades in their Grabows/ Kaywookies/ Yello Boles/Medicos. Like big American sedans, they seem to be from another era. And with the dizzying array of tobaccos and blends from around the world (except England right now) a box sitting curmudgeonly on a shelf for $5.99 certainly doesn't have that flair same of exotic or luxury.
There is no shame in OTC’s. They are simply American style blends and became as they are because they suited our tastes and they are generally mild to medium burley forward blends and there seems to be a common thread or style running through them and they are far and away my favorites. Sadly it took me forty years to get into them. Whenever I smoke one of my tinned tobaccos, I find myself wanting to dump it after a few minutes and smoke an OTC - current or Match and most often do. There are several Match versions of OTC’s I’ve yet to try, Field and Stream for example and one day I will. My conversion began about nine years ago before I went to cigars and when I quit cigars and came back to pipes, I picked up where I left off and happily so. After many years of pipe smoking, I’m confident in my tastes; I smoke the codger way proudly and am not displeased that they are even less expensive than the “finer” stuff. I must admit to many years of tobacco snobbery but I now have seen the light and atone for my sins.
😂

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
How are we going to make the famous joke now?

But seriously, that's terrible news. It's like saying Clubman was discontinued or something.
Or even worse - Old Spice. It is always a tragedy to lose an American iconic something or another but it happens. Every dog has its day. One day, even I, an American icon (in my own mind) will be lost, just dust in the wind and life will go on sadly without me. Come on wipe that tear away.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I received a half pound of March PA today. Tastes fine. I will grab a pouch of PA from my neighbor in the next two or three days and do a comparison in identical pipes and sis out the differences as best I can.

Well, I'm glad it was just an ugly rumor. It fills such an important niche. Well, 2 important niches. First, a tobacco that smokes itself when you're busy will always have a place in my rotation. And it's always a good thing to see anything next to Captain Black on a shelf.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Some Updates. Some doubling down, and some other confused chatter.

First, this was recently added to the top of the vendor‘s line card page that started this thread, in big red letters:

MIDDLETON HAS DISCONTINUED PRODUCTION OF ALL PIPE TOBACCO
*EXCEPT* CARTER HALL CANISTERS/POUCHES.

However, in looking for more updates, there is mixed information. One person on another site claims they “called Middleton”, and was told there is no discontinuation. Interestingly, Altria does have an 804 area code number to call. And that is based out of Richmond, VA. And also interestingly, the above vendor has been in business for 108 years, and is based in nearby Roanoke. So they are likely close to Altria corporate as well.

Others are saying that only PA tubs are being discontinued, but that the pouches will continue.

The best bet is to give this time to sort out. In the meantime, PA in tubs looks about sold out nearly everywhere.

[Addendum: since I now have the phone number, I will probably call Altria myself later today]

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
And I’ll add this. Out of curiosity, I sifted through the Altria corporate site. Recent corporate governance changes are increasingly tobacco-hostile, IMO.

Read Altria’s “about” and “our vision” statements, and you can see the impact already.

Looking at these statements, and looking at the Middleton website that talks about everything except pipe tobacco, I would not be surprised if all Middleton tobaccos were discontinued by this time next year.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’m sitting here alternating Match PA with PA in identical pipes with palate cleansing coffee (also used for paint removal) between the two. This is a hard one. A review I read on the Match mentioned a toasted marshmallow note and I agree but it is minor and you may or may not pick up on it. Pouch notes are very close, maybe a bit of vanilla in the Match but not certain. PA is a very simple blend and I suppose getting a near identical match wasn’t that difficult. Whatever the minor differences I doubt PA is worth the extra cost - at least not for me. The half pound of the Match I have will last me a year or two anyway.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I spoke today with representatives of Altria. It took about three call transfers to get to the right person.

The gentleman told me that Prince Albert has been discontinued. And that what's out there is all that is left ("while supplies last").

I will take that as CONFIRMATION.

RIP, PA.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I spoke today with representatives of Altria. It took about three call transfers to get to the right person.

The gentleman told me that Prince Albert has been discontinued. And that what's out there is all that is left ("while supplies last").

I will take that as CONFIRMATION.

RIP, PA.
Thanks for your efforts to sort this out. Much appreciated!

Top Bottom