What's new

Say goodbye to PA

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
This was like reading an exciting textbook! Thanks for the education my friend. You said perfectly what I was thinking.

I am old enough to remember smoking on airliners. In the grocery store. At the ballpark. In a restaurant. IN A PUB!

I am not a smoker anymore. And I'm glad there is no longer smoking in a restaurant. But seriously, this country is not making me feel at home much anymore.
Frightening isn’t it?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Just read another post from the pipe mag forum and he spoke with Middleton as well.

Only Prince Albert Vanilla and Cherry are being discontinued from their line.

No surprise on those blends. The discontinuance of those has been confirmed for a while now, vendors have stopped carrying them for quite some time, with some having removed them from their line cards. Same with Sugar Barrel. I don’t miss those because frankly I don’t like them.

I think the best approach is to wait and see. With the flu shutdowns, many businesses have been disrupted. It would be no surprise to have had that include tobacco production. Perhaps we are simply dealing with a production issue. It has been a rough year.

It is also not uncommon for many popular blends to sell out this time of year. I know for me, November-December is a big stock-up time, because that is when the best deals are.

If it’s still out of stock in 2-3 months, then we can start drawing conclusions.

No one will be happier than me if this vendor is wrong.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I had a bad day smoking today. Nothing tasted like it should - a real bummer. In the late afternoon, I dug around until I found a pouch of PA and finally I got a decent smoke so I thought about ordering a tub and checked P&C and SP. both were sold out so I checked P&C for Match PA and it was sold out as well. I honestly believe Middleton was running a scarcity marketing effort to dump a lot of tobacco which seems to a ploy by a lot of blenders because there is so much competition for so few pipe smokers. As long as it works they will keep doing it. In any case, I’ll be buying the Match next. $37 for 14 oz of PA is absurd. Sutliff likely uses a better grade of tobacco anyway.

Demand is up. People have more time to smoke and drink. My liquor store shelves have so many empty shelves. Irish and Scotch prices have gone up as well. When something takes years to make their is a finite supply. A lot of the distilleries were **** down. I imagine Middleton's was for a time. They may also be waiting for the new year to out more out for a tax break.

I know a lot of businesses trying to sell everything they can before year end to clear the shelves to make the books look better.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Demand is up. People have more time to smoke and drink. My liquor store shelves have so many empty shelves. Irish and Scotch prices have gone up as well. When something takes years to make their is a finite supply. A lot of the distilleries were **** down. I imagine Middleton's was for a time. They may also be waiting for the new year to out more out for a tax break.

I know a lot of businesses trying to sell everything they can before year end to clear the shelves to make the books look better.
True but scarcity marketing is year around with pipe tobacco as demand has been decreasing for many years. I spent my career in and around marketing and creating scarcity or fear in one way or another were always a top list effort - real or imagined.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I had a bad day smoking today. Nothing tasted like it should - a real bummer. In the late afternoon, I dug around until I found a pouch of PA and finally I got a decent smoke so I thought about ordering a tub and checked P&C and SP. both were sold out so I checked P&C for Match PA and it was sold out as well. I honestly believe Middleton was running a scarcity marketing effort to dump a lot of tobacco which seems to a ploy by a lot of blenders because there is so much competition for so few pipe smokers. As long as it works they will keep doing it. In any case, I’ll be buying the Match next. $37 for 14 oz of PA is absurd. Sutliff likely uses a better grade of tobacco anyway.

Never pay full price. In normal circumstances, anything over $30 for a tub of PA is overpaying. And that’s its charm. A good daily smoke at a good price. Barely $2/oz.

Comparing the last Burley-bearing Sutliff I had to a tub of PA, I wouldn’t say Sutliff’s leaf is any better.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Also, this rumor of PA being discontinued sparked panic buying. It simply can't be found right now....

At least I hope its a rumor.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Also, this rumor of PA being discontinued sparked panic buying. It simply can't be found right now....

Normally, I’d say yes. But I don’t think so here. It was sold out before this vendor announcement.

My usual vendors have been out of stock for quite a few weeks. I finally found one (1) last tub somewhere about 3 weeks ago, but it cost me an extra $4-5 over what I normally pay. And that was it. This vendor announcement was only on 12/1, after everyone had gone dry.

We’ll see. I hope this vendor is wrong. But if need be, LLRR is an excellent, if more expensive, substitute.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

The most recent thing i heard was they are dropping their vanilla and cherry but not the original. I’ll grab a pouch from my neighbor today. I don’t smoke it often but is nice to have some around. By the way, this Savi III you put me on to is turning out to be rather remarkable. I believe the fact that they are unfinished allowing the briar to breathe has a lot to do with it not to mention the fact the smoking of them colors them beautifully. Thanks for the tip.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thanks ... but I generally don’t chase matches. Most are only close and sold bulk.

For old time pipers, this is the equivalent of Coke or Pepsi being discontinued.

I’ll only add this. Altria’s business model with Middleton defies sense. If you look at the Middleton website now, they are interested in anything BUT tobacco.

What’s the point of buying a tobacco company only to discontinue nearly their entire line card? Because that’s what these jokers have done.

Carter Hall is the only one left. If you like it, I would start stockpiling it.
You are so right. I’m a Carter Hall fan and purchased ten ounces of Match to give it a good check out. The topping is different but once into the bowl there isn’t much difference - still many of the same qualities and I could get along with it as a replacement if necessary but intend to buy a couple of tubs of CH. Pepsi/Coke is a good analogy. Sutliff match Walnut was an improvement on the original. I never smoked either of the two iterations of Revelation but find Sutliff Match to be an excellent blend - far better then Epiphany. Both Lane and Sutliff did a good job with Edgeworth which I smoked before Lars discontinued it. In general, I’m impressed with Sutliff overall. In any case, I don’t believe either CH or PA will be discontinued in the near future. I don’t smoke PA often but do get the occasional craving for it and likely won’t find the Match terribly different. I’m going to get some of the Match when available to try it.

Last edited:
I haven't yet had the chance to try PA. I'm more a CH guy. But I really hope it's a rumor! Lt. Colombo hit it on the head with Coke and Pepsi. There's matches and close enoughs, there's substitutes and acceptance. But PA closing would almost signify the end of the era.

I hope it's just panic buying we're seeing. Perhaps combined with a pandemic related issue, like Missouri Meerschaum a few months ago. Or supply chain problems. I'm not ready for this era to end, I just got here.

I haven't yet had the chance to try PA. I'm more a CH guy. But I really hope it's a rumor! Lt. Colombo hit it on the head with Coke and Pepsi. There's matches and close enoughs, there's substitutes and acceptance. But PA closing would almost signify the end of the era.

I hope it's just panic buying we're seeing. Perhaps combined with a pandemic related issue, like Missouri Meerschaum a few months ago. Or supply chain problems. I'm not ready for this era to end, I just got here.

I got a feeling that is what is happening. Production has either slowed down or stopped due to covid issues and there is a bit of a shortage now.

I remember seeing a list of the top selling pipe tobaccos (top 41) and PA was 39. Carter Hall was even higher. So I don't see them being discontinued by Middleton.

Finally found a shop on reservation land that carried OTC tubs. Had to ask as I didn't see them anywhere. She told me they were in the back storing area and checked for me.

Picked up their last tub of PA and also bought a tub of CH. The price was reasonable considering how bad the tobacco tax is around here.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

From a historical perspective. I would say that PA is like Coke, and SWR is like Pepsi. One is definitely a little sweeter than the other. But both are definitely fountain colas. Those were the two drug store / newsstand heavyweights I remember.

Carter Hall is more like Royal Crown. Less seen generally, but very accessible ... and some would say even better tasting than the big two. ;)

These are all sipping tobaccos to gently serenade the background of your working day. They are not for tobacco dandies authoring long-winded four-star serenades on Tobaccoreviews.com.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I found it at BnB Tobacco for $29.99 so I bought it. I’ve never used this vendor before.

I just found a can of PA and went ahead and bought it - good price too at BnB tobacco it is one of those places that sells common stuff.

I tried to order some from BnB. Site said they don't ship cigars to WA state. So I was hoping they would ship me some PA.

They sent me an order confirmation and tracking info. Decided to check the tracking and couldn't find anything. So I checked my payment info and don't see the charge on their either. Figured they must have cancelled it?

Oh well. Hopefully by the time I finish the PA tub. The store I bought it from will have re stocked it. Keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

Rookie guy
If you can find a pouch of PA give it a try. I notice a lot of CH smokers enjoy the Prince as well.

I plan on keeping them both on hand and have been smoking them throughout the last couple of weeks almost daily.

Top Bottom