What's new

Saxon post-shave balm

Anybody else ever try this? I found some NOS travel tubes on eBay years ago and tried it. It reminded me of Afta but the scent ("Woodspice") was better. Woodspice is vaguely like Avon's Spicy.

It looks like Amazon is stocking it. The price is a little steep compared to Afta. However, Saxon has more elaborate ingredients.

Last edited:
Yup, I still have a bottle, but haven't used it in ages. I recall the scent being more woody and less spice, but it was pleasant. Nice creamy lotion which felt good on shaven skin. Was reasonably priced also. Will have to go to Amazon to check it out.

Can't recommend anything but gosh this brings back memories of seeing Saxon aftershave as a teen in the drug store. Often thought of trying it but never did.

Chris

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Anybody else ever try this? I found some NOS travel tubes on eBay years ago and tried it. It reminded me of Afta but the scent ("Woodspice") was better. Woodspice is vaguely like Avon's Spicy.

It looks like Amazon is stocking it. The price is a little steep compared to Afta. However, Saxon has more elaborate ingredients.

Yeah! I did a thread.

Finally did toss the old stuff. I use 60s Avon, but that's alcohol ... cream-style gets icky after a few decades.

AA

Can't recommend anything but gosh this brings back memories of seeing Saxon aftershave as a teen in the drug store. Often thought of trying it but never did.

Chris

While I think it's a decent product, we are in a crowded marketplace for aftershaves. And there are cheaper aftershave balms that work better (like Nivea), even if they don't necessarily have a cologne fragrance.

Yeah! I did a thread.

Finally did toss the old stuff. I use 60s Avon, but that's alcohol ... cream-style gets icky after a few decades.

AA

I'm guessing by the packaging the stuff I had was from the late 80's or early 90's. It seemed to hold up OK. It had quite a bit of alcohol, judging by the mild burn it had. It wasn't exactly a bright white but I wouldn't say it had really yellowed seriously, either, and there was no separation.

However, I usually keep my Afta in the fridge like any other balm or shave cream I buy in bulk (more than one- when you order online that's what you sometimes have to do), just to be safe. I've had shave creams last years in the fridge like that with no real change, except perhaps the scent mellows out some.

Top Bottom