What's new

Saw a chap at work wearing jeans running shoes dress shirt and vest

what are your thoughts on that? on one hand I like the vest only look, but not sure i liked it with jeans and running shoes

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I think trying to pull off that look runs the extremely large risk of looking like you fell asleep in 1994 and just woke up.

56DC0932-F41D-4524-BACE-1AD6C569D8B0.jpeg

I doubt you really want to be this guy....

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php

proxy.php

So, IMHO the look CAN work if you do it right ... although I'd certainly not do sneakers as the footwear ... something a bit classier and leather is called for. One of my pet peeves with this look, though, (and with most vests worn nowadays in general) is that the vests are cut too short ... or the pants don't have a high enough rise ... so you get a big midriff gash of belt and shirt:

proxy.php

No! The vest should be long enough, the pants come up high enough, that the casual observer shouldn't be able to see your belt at all.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Please!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I think trying to pull off that look runs the extremely large risk of looking like you fell asleep in 1994 and just woke up.

We're on the same page. The first thing I thought was "Did you ask him if he got cut from the cast of 'Friends'?"

Probably slightly better than the suits (with or without tie) and gym shoes/sneakers,

Or suit/whatever and good dress shoes with no socks.

Probably. Slightly.

proxy.php

proxy.php

So, IMHO the look CAN work if you do it right ... although I'd certainly not do sneakers as the footwear ... something a bit classier and leather is called for. One of my pet peeves with this look, though, (and with most vests worn nowadays in general) is that the vests are cut too short ... or the pants don't have a high enough rise ... so you get a big midriff gash of belt and shirt:

proxy.php

No! The vest should be long enough, the pants come up high enough, that the casual observer shouldn't be able to see your belt at all.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Please!

Great point!! You definitely should not see the belt when wearing a vest.

I was in Dublin last month and bought my first Vest in YEARS.
They didn't have my size in the material that I liked but said they still had that material/pattern and said they could make it if I could wait a couple of months.
Looking forward to that delivery, for the whopping additional cost of $15 Euro. Yes please.
My only thoughts as to what to pair it with was jeans, dress shirt, and nice loafers/dress sneakers, like my Magnanni Berkeley's.
Kevin and Howlin - Front Page

Magnanni | Berkeley Leather Sneaker | Nordstrom Rack

I wear a red plaid wool vest when I deer hunt with Lacrosse boots and baggy wool pants.... Of course, deer camp style is a bit loose.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Me thinks that by asking the original question you kind of like it and might want to emulate it if others agree. So I’ll add my two cents, which mostly agrees with others above.

Loafers, not athletic shoes or even walkers of any kind. Choose your socks wisely, as they will be peeking out as you walk but otherwise mostly unseen. The biggest reason that I suggest loafers is because jeans already say, “I’m casual today” and the vest says, “I’m casual, but not at the gym”.

That gap thing mentioned above is definitely a no go. It makes it look like you borrowed the vest from your little brother. Your belt buckle should just barley be noticeable through the unfastened bottom button.

Finally, have your vest fitted. The strap on the back is fine for rented clothing, but when you own it, it should fit properly. If you’re getting a vest custom made, consider getting the back made from the same fabric as the front. Also, lapels are another nice step up from what every other guy will be wearing.

Top Bottom