What's new

Savonniere du Moulin

Has anyone tried this soap? Your thoughts, especially if you can compare to MdC or have sensitive skin, would be much appreciated. Also like to know what scent(s) you have tried -- cedar & anise, butterscotch, unscented.

personally, it's ok. shaved fine, i think mine was unscented; quite acceptable but nothing out of the ordinary, imho.

La savonniere du moulin simpson jubilee thiers issard crown wing royall spyce november 21 2015.jpg

I searched and for some reason never found this thread. It looks like the general consensus is that its ok but nothing exceptional.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’ll offer the dissenting opinion, it’s great. I bought my first tin at Planete Rasoir in Paris in 2014.

The only criticism is that the current scents are a bit sweet and cloying, but the performance is outstanding.

I started a 100gpuck of SdM last week, and have used it for three shaves. The scent (aux fleur de Bach) is pleasant and very mild as I like. Lathering and slickness are as good as any soap I've used, including MdC and Stirling sheep tallow. Post-shave skin feel is neutral, no stickiness or slime. Rinses clean off the sink with no scum. I'm impressed.

The wooden container is odd, but so far no problem.

I started a 100gpuck of SdM last week, and have used it for three shaves. The scent (aux fleur de Bach) is pleasant and very mild as I like. Lathering and slickness are as good as any soap I've used, including MdC and Stirling sheep tallow. Post-shave skin feel is neutral, no stickiness or slime. Rinses clean off the sink with no scum. I'm impressed.

The wooden container is odd, but so far no problem.
I think all 3 scents use Bach flowers. The scents are one of unscented, butterscotch, and cedar & anise.

D

Deleted member 91159

I like this soap quite a bit.
I think the scent is very pleasant.. flowery, soapy, a bit powdery. Not too strong but present.
Performance wise, it lacks a bit of slickness and it is not very good at handling water when lathering.
Where it shines for me it is the post shave feel.
My advice is to load up heavy with your brush and add little by little water. A bit of patience is required but it will reward you with a nice lump of lather.

A kindly someone sent me a generous sample of the butterscotch scent soap.

Some initial thoughts after just one shave. Will post an update in a few days.

I used it this morning and agree with @Steve56 that this is truly an excellent soap.

Performance: The lather is not as copious as MdC but it feels more manageable while face lathering. With MdC, if I'm not careful I could have bits of lather flying all over the place. The slickness and cushion are comparable, although I think the slickness is slightly better with MdC. The post shave feel is better with SdM, probably because of the fat in the milk. All in all, I don't think I would miss MdC for performance.

Scent: This is subjective, but the butterscotch scent while not very strong is not exactly my thing. If forced to, I could live with it but it's not something I would look forward to every morning. I'd rate MdC higher here, although MdC scents are not 100% my thing either. My thing would be something like a milder version (say 25%) of SJOL scents or a sandalwood scent.

Skin sensitivity: This is the biggest question mark and I'll update again after a few days of using. It felt a bit uncomfortable (tingly/burning). I do have very sensitive skin and this is one of the reasons why even ABC didn't work for me despite being a mild fragrance. SMN and ADP set my skin on fire and were literally unusable. I am unable to find a complete list of the ingredients online and emailed SdM to see if they could provide it.

Last edited:
I used it for 2 days and both days experienced skin irritation. So then I went back to MdC and didn’t have any issues with irritation.

I contacted the maker for the ingredients but didn’t hear back.

Then I did some searching on the net and came across this:

One of the posts mentions skin burn and another post lists the ingredients:

Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua, Palm Kernal Acid, Sodium chloride, pentasodium penetate, tetrasodium etidronate, lacta asinus, kaolin, parfum, linalool, limonene, geraniol, courmarin, hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene, carboxaldehyde, butylphenyl, methylpropional, citronellol, evernia prunastri (oakmoss) extract, vitis vinifera, honey, CI 7789

That’s quite a list and not as clean as I would have thought and provides enough reason for the skin irritation that I experienced.

So back to MdC it is for me.

Top Bottom