What's new

Savon le Père Lucien (Le Père Lucien Soap)

Great to read Ben!

If French postofficers are not striking, we will get them tomorrow and I will test immediateley. Your first impressions are indeed promising.

Thanks!

Eric

again, to comment on this soap...I rank it as the top veggie soap I have every tried....that included MdC....just better moisturizing and glide with my straight.....really a great performer.

How can someone in the US get this soap without incurring prohibitive shipping costs? I went to place an order and sipping costs were about $20.

I will be getting my 200 grams tomorrow. Can't wait, I really adore the packaging of the young gentleman on front! Its the reason why I bought it haha.

I will be getting my 200 grams tomorrow. Can't wait, I really adore the packaging of the young gentleman on front! Its the reason why I bought it haha.

It does look very nice:

attachment.php

Ben

I finally finished my Valobra stick yesterday, so tonight I will be shaving with the Le Pere Lucien soap for the first time. As I mentioned, I did a test lather in the palm of my hand after I first received the soap with very favorable results. I am excited to find out how it shaves.

Ben

I finally finished my Valobra stick yesterday, so tonight I will be shaving with the Le Pere Lucien soap for the first time. As I mentioned, I did a test lather in the palm of my hand after I first received the soap with very favorable results. I am excited to find out how it shaves.

I'm looking forward to hearing your report on both performance and scent.

Savon Le Pere Lucien - Shave #1

I will say that the proof of an excellent cream is in the final result. I used this soap for the first time this evening and ended up with a DFS, and nearly BBS shave after 3 passes with only one tiny weeper and no irritation otherwise. The scent is very nice and is not overpowering, but also noticeable. I have been using Valobra tallow stick for the past month, which produces are very creamy, thick and stable lather. The lather of this soap is a little different. I would say that it is not as dense and creamy, but more light and meringue-like. I have not mastered lathering this soap. I'm sure it will take another few shaves to find a consistent lather. I think for the first one I added a little too much water, too soon..... but what saved me was that I loaded my brush for a considerably long period of time..... nearly 45 seconds to a minute. I went back to the jar in between passes to thicken up the lather for the second and third passes.

I didn't really think that the lather would be as stable as it was. It was a little bubbly from adding too much water too quick.... but the lather remained very stable and did not dry out in the least. I also didn't expect the lather to be as protective given it's appearance, but it was. I used my trusty Fat Handle Tech and a brand new Gillette Silver Blue blade for the shave to take out any uncertainty regarding the hardware. The soap was also very slick, despite not having the lathered dialed in for the shave. Post shave feel is as good as I've been getting for the past month with Valobra.

Overall, I feel this soap will only get better the next few times I use it..... but even on the first time..... a damn fine shave.

Ben

ordered one from Barbieri di figaro. eager to try it out. not sure which version they have for some reason i think its the mild scented one

Savon Le Pere Lucien - Shave #2

During this evening's shave with this soap I found myself pondering "what are the strong points of this soap?". I came to the conclusion that it offers incredible slickness and protection. It lathers easily, but does not produce the scintillating looking lather of some of the other big soaps..... but one is able to create a very stable and whippy lather in seconds. I dialed this stuff in tonight. For me, it looks a little bubbly and light..... rather underwhelming in appearance.... but after that first swipe of the blade, it's like a hot knife through butter. I used my Weber Polished w/ the Bulldog Handle DE razor with the same Gillette Silver Blue blade that I used last night for its second shave on the blade. I used the same prep as I usually do which includes a face wash with a mild face soap and warm water, but I don't know if there's something in the ingredients of the soap that made my whiskers soften more than usual.... because there was just no tugging whatsoever. No irritation, no weepers, no nicks. Nothing but a clean three pass shave (WTG, XTG, and XTG) with some touch ups.

As I said, I got the lather right this time. I loaded for 45 seconds with a slightly drier brush (Thater 4125/2 two band super badger bulb). I went back to the soap in between each pass for about 10 seconds. I face lathered the soap just like last night, adding a little water as I built the lather. I found myself thinking "slickness and protection"...... but I think that the lack of tugging is what really made the shave excellent instead of just good.

I think I may go back to this soap for the next few shaves. I have a few other new soaps that I want to try.... but when you have results like this, you don't want to change a thing for a while.

Ben

Savon Le Pere Lucien - Shave #3

The lather just keeps getting better with this soap the more I use it.... which is usually to be expected. The scent is the kind of scent that seems strange at first, but grows on you. It reminds me of those wedding butter mints. I've been using the minty Myrsol Formula K aftershave splash to follow my shaves with this soap and it is a very good complimentary scent. The shave tonight consisted of a slightly better looking lather, but my outcome was not as nice as yesterday's shave. I blame it completely on the difference in hardware...... and not the soap. It was still a very good shave, but I had a couple weepers around my Adam's apple and some minor redness at the base of my neck. I used (for the first time) a 1931 Gillette Goodwill open comb with the same Gillette Silver Blue blade on it's third use. The Goodwill open comb is very similar to the Old Type IMO, but I found the balance of the hollow ball end handle out of whack. The handle is also suffering from cracks at the base and top and a loose fit between the shoulder and the top of the handle. The razor was a wild antique score from the past weekend.... and I wanted to finally try it out. I used my Weber razor last night.... which is tough competition for the vintage Goodwill. I'm sorry, but I'm afraid that the razor was the difference in the shave tonight.... as this soap is still showing excellent performance in both ease of lather, quality of lather, slickness, cushion, and stability.

Ben

Savon Le Pere Lucien - Shave #4

For today's shave with this soap I went with a boar brush for a change. I used my favorite boar brush..... the Semogue SOC. Again, the lather continues to deliver a wonderful shave.... but I suffered just a bit tonight from the same issue as yesterday's shave..... I used a new razor for the first time. Today I received in a trade with another member the Ikon Slant head. I paired it with my UFO Kaiser Short stainless steel handle which makes a very good combination I must say. I have not used a slant in months, so a little bit of an adjustment was needed. The shave was more or less fabulous except for a couple nicks around my Adam's apple and at the base of my neck. The last pass was against the grain and the razor and soap combo really made an easy job of cutting through the hairs will no tugging or noise. I found the audible feedback of this razor to be very minimal.... and the perception of actually "shaving" was very low. It's one of those deals where you almost forget there's a blade in the razor.

At the end of the shave, while I was rinsing out my brush, I almost detected a "peppery" scent from the soap. A slight herbal spiciness that was very nice. I decided to finish off the shave with a few sprays of L'Occitan Pour Homme by L'Occitane after I finished applying my aftershave balm (Crown Shaving Co Soothing AS Lotion). L'Occitan PH is a nice peppery lavender scent..... and it works very nicely with this soap. Not that they are exactly the same scents, but they are in the same ballpark and compliment each other very well.

Ben

Glad you're enjoying the slant Ben, I'm really starting to want some of this Pere Lucien soap after reading all your reviews.

Glad you're enjoying the slant Ben, I'm really starting to want some of this Pere Lucien soap after reading all your reviews.

The slant worked great on my first shave with it. I'm sure future shaves will be even better. I'll be putting it to quite a bit of use in the next few days. Thanks for the trade my friend!

Ben

Top Bottom