What's new

Savon De Marseille

I can say the ingredients and overall process is the same, but it's up to the individual Maitre Savonnier at each manufacturer to tweak the process to their individual liking and skill as SdM is an artisanal product. Michel Blanconi is Fer de Cheval's Maitre Savonnier and has been there for 40 years now.
I wish I understood French! The cubes of Fer de Cheval always looked the smoothest compared to the other 3. The conveyor belts seem to the softer soap which I assume will be formed later. This seems to differ from other videos (of one of the other 3 - I forget which one) which pour and form them in large trays and cut them. I could be wrong though.

I wish I understood French! The cubes of Fer de Cheval always looked the smoothest compared to the other 3. The conveyor belts seem to the softer soap which I assume will be formed later. This seems to differ from other videos (of one of the other 3 - I forget which one) which pour and form them in large trays and cut them. I could be wrong though.

Some manufacturers like FdC and MF mill(similar to like put through a meat grinder) some of their soaps now when they have left over trimmings from the sides to give it a nicer sharper squarish look for high end boutiques. I personally like them blocked and aged the traditional way, milled soaps don't age well no matter how long they have been airing. A good SdM should age and look rustic over time when the moisture has evaporated and become very hard and durable like this !

Attachments

• Le Sérail SdM Olive 300g.jpg
    Le Sérail SdM Olive 300g.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Le Sérail SdM Palm 300g.jpg
    Le Sérail SdM Palm 300g.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I don't consider these secondary processors as authentic SdM, many of these so called "soap manufacturers" are nothing more than secondary soap processors who buy the soap flakes and noodles from the four true soap SdM manufacturers and then mill it into the shape and size they want while adding fragrance and coloring. These "milled/refined SdM cubes and blocks don't age well as the oil are now all mixed in whereas in the traditional method the soap are cut into blocks and the oil and moisture rise up to the sides as they age.

I didn't realize the main 4 sold off their flakes but I suppose it makes sense. I can't imagine doing the secondary processing by mixing oils (or whatever else) is as good as if it was done in the primary process.

M

Member 113878

What do you guys think of the so-called Savon de Marseille "Le chat" ? :)
Seems not much different than any other industrial soap judging by the ingredients list.
Maybe not a bad soap, but certainly nothing in common with true SdM, right?

Seems not much different than any other industrial soap judging by the ingredients list.

It's sold as purely laundry soap here. Totally industrial - and marketed as such - but I guess better at washing skin than battery acid?

I have used Le Chat glycerin soaps for over a decade now because it was the only glycerin soap thats was availble locally. It is still tons better than anything they sell in your local pharmacy. Henkel the German company owns Le Chat now, but it can be made in commercial soap factories in Marseille like L'Atlantic. To keep the story short the four traditional SdM manfacturers are up against the large commercial soap factories like Savonnerie L'Atlantic in Marseille that also call themselves Savons de Marseille ! ...LoL

Last edited:
M

Member 113878

Thanks EdT.
Actually I bought a single bar of the olive oil kind yesterday in a dollar store.
But you can buy them in these 4 packs in about every supermarket here in Quebec.

Thanks EdT.
Actually I bought a single bar of the olive oil kind yesterday in a dollar store.
But you can buy them in these 4 packs in about every supermarket here in Quebec.

Oh you're in Quebec and yes they sell the oilve oil version of Le Chat at the Dollarama stores for $1.25/100g and you can order the glycerin version at Jean-Coutu or Uniprix. I personnaly never used their olive oil version yet only their glycerin one and I am sure it's nothing like genuine SdM olive oil soaps. Le Chat soap bar used to be 115g, but now they shrank them to just 100g. If you're in Montreal or Quebec I can direct you to a local vendor that sells SdM for very good price.

Last edited:

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I have some SDM soap. Got it from the French shop in Sydney. The family love the soap. Job done.

Been enjoying the nourishing qualities of Rampal Latour (genuine) SdM lately.
Apparently, they hold a (legal) patent to preserve the natural glycerin (typically lost during production).

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I ordered this one about two months ago. It really feels great on my skin but to my nose has no scent. In fact, I have used it on occasion on my face prior to shaving.

View attachment 1310110

How did you get over the scent? I just got mine today and holy moly it’s strong and not a soapy smell I‘ve ever smelled. IDK if I can use it, like….do I want to smell like this?

Good news is the vendor sent me the 250g because the 150g was out of stock but still on the website. I ordered the 150g unknowingly. They were nice as can be about it. Great vendor!

How did you get over the scent? I just got mine today and holy moly it’s strong and not a soapy smell I‘ve ever smelled. IDK if I can use it, like….do I want to smell like this?

Good news is the vendor sent me the 250g because the 150g was out of stock but still on the website. I ordered the 150g unknowingly. They were nice as can be about it. Great vendor!

As a cube it should smell like waxy crayons, but once you lather it and wash it off there shouldn't be any smell. Some people say it smells like olive oil, but I never had any olive oil that smelt like crayons ! ...LoL

You can also use SdM to brush your teeth with !

Been enjoying the nourishing qualities of Rampal Latour (genuine) SdM lately.
Apparently, they hold a (legal) patent to preserve the natural glycerin (typically lost during production).

I wrote Union Professionnelle du Savon de Marseille (UPSM) on why Rampal Letour is not a member and here is their response:

Question : Bonjour, pouvez-vous m'expliquer pourquoi Savonnerie Rampal Latour n'est pas membre de UPSM ? - Merci !

Response: Rampal Latour ne respecte pas la charte de l'UPSM. En savoir plus sur L'UPSM : L'UPSM, Union des Professionnels du Savon de Marseille - https://www.savonneriedumidi.fr/union-des-professionnels-du-savon-de-marseille/

Basically means in English Rampal Latour does not respect the charter on how SdM is produced.

I'm familiar with the UPSM enterprise (brand) and its details (i.e. saponified plant oil/s, no animal-sourced material, made in Marseille region, cauldron method, fragrance-free, no dyes/preservatives).

What detail does Rampal Latour purportedly not respect?

(There's also AFSM - Association des Fabricants de Savon de Marseille.)

Top Bottom