What's new

Savon De Marseille

Here are my SDM :)

1.jpg

I only buy them at Marius Fabre, which is one of the last french companies that make REAL savons de Marseille (I think they are only like 4 or 5 left to produce them).
SDM can be used as shampoo, toothpaste also.
If you let them dry, they will last longer ^^

Reactions: EdT
Well the MF soap is here , a big ole stinky square hard to think people like the smell.
Some SdM may have a (naturally) slightly nutty and/or smoky/toasty smell which significantly subsides after some use and/or airing out (longer time if initially packaged in plastic).

Sounds like you'd prefer La Licorne olive SdM, the scent of which is (naturally) subtly sweet 'n floral, from the start.

(Alternatively, there's MF SdM with sunflower oil, vs olive oil, which is muted to begin with.)

I've bought scented "Savon de Marseille" from edenwood.co . Going by a previous post, this might not have been totally authentic but it was fantastic soap: creamy feel, easy to lather, cleans well. It was slick enough to shave with although the lather didn't last long when I tried. The Lavender and Vetiver scents are excellent.

I ordered this one about two months ago. It really feels great on my skin but to my nose has no scent. In fact, I have used it on occasion on my face prior to shaving.

1628691411439.png

For those looking for something even milder, there are special editions of Fer à Cheval and Le Serail SdM made with 100% olive oil (vs olive mixed with coconut oil).

Beware of counterfeits and fake SdM they are even selling fakes right in the streets of Marseille to unassuming tourists ! ...LoL
SdM connoisseurs know exactly which side and what stamps on which sides are on the genuine cubes.

With regards to performance, can anyone compare the performance to the body soaps produced by Saponificio Varesino?

Also how do you all keep the soaps between showerings? I have used body wash for a decade but if memory serves, keeping the soap in a soap dish always left the bottom of the soap wet and disgusting and sometimes stuck to the dish.

The most sought after soap dish is from Rubbermaid used to be ubiquitous and inexpensive, but now they are discontinued and are hard to find a command a pretty penny after shipping if you find them on eBay ! The only other soap dish that still produced resembles the Rubbermaid is the Holmz-Selfix 22330201.36 which if you're lucky can still be found at certain Home Hardware store for a pack of two. I have one of each of these and I actually prefer the Holmz-Selfix. The thing here is that you want the strainer to have the least possible amount of surface contact on the soap which will leave the soap bottom wet and stick to the strainer. Going by the amount of reviews on Amazon on how many people still want these vintage soap dish is quite telling !

Attachments

• Rubbermaid Soap Dish.jpg
    Rubbermaid Soap Dish.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Holmz-Selfix 22330201.36.jpg
    Holmz-Selfix 22330201.36.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Here are my SDM :)

View attachment 1166513

I only buy them at Marius Fabre, which is one of the last french companies that make REAL savons de Marseille (I think they are only like 4 or 5 left to produce them).
SDM can be used as shampoo, toothpaste also.
If you let them dry, they will last longer ^^
These newer SdM looks milled. I know MF and FdC are now milling their soaps to give it a more sharp and refined look for the newer generation of consumers

The most sought after soap dish is from Rubbermaid used to be ubiquitous and inexpensive, but now they are discontinued and are hard to find a command a pretty penny after shipping if you find them on eBay ! The only other soap dish that still produced resembles the Rubbermaid is the Holmz-Selfix 22330201.36 which if you're lucky can still be found at certain Home Hardware store for a pack of two. I have one of each of these and I actually prefer the Holmz-Selfix. The thing here is that you want the strainer to have the least possible amount of surface contact on the soap which will leave the soap bottom wet and stick to the strainer. Going by the amount of reviews on Amazon on how many people still want these vintage soap dish is quite telling !
Thank you for following up! I will have to check this out. I have been using "Soap Lift" with great success. There are other brands that look the same and some also come with a soap dish for it. They seem to work well.

I just picked one up from Fedrihan. I didn't realize they sold them there. Very excited to try this for the first time. If I like it, I will probably just order a bunch direct from France next time.

Fer A Cheval is 100% authentic unless there are counterfeits out there? That is what I picked up from Fendrihan.com

Do all of the original 4 use the same "recipe" when making soap? I am curious if there are actual differences between them.

I have tried the Marius Fabre soap a long time ago It is a nice soap. The only thing I don't like about it is the shape. I managed to drop it and it broke into pieces.

1630595419675.png

Fer A Cheval is 100% authentic unless there are counterfeits out there? That is what I picked up from Fendrihan.com

Do all of the original 4 use the same "recipe" when making soap? I am curious if there are actual differences between them.

I can say the ingredients and overall process is the same, but it's up to the individual Maitre Savonnier at each manufacturer to tweak the process to their individual liking and skill as SdM is an artisanal product. Michel Blanconi is Fer de Cheval's Maitre Savonnier and has been there for 40 years now.

Top Bottom