What's new

Saving Soap Samples

I was just wondering if anyone saves samples of their soaps as references to scents, etc. and how you store them.

I am relatively new to DE shaving and soap collecting (an addiction). Even though my collection is modest to the stash many of you have in your den, I realized that personnally I really should try and use/enjoy my acquisitions. I have 13 cans of soap and like them all in different ways. As an addictive noob, I made a spread sheet, and started to track what razor, soap, and blade I use every day (I only have one brush - next target for collecting).

Over the last 52 days of tracking, I noticed that I haven't used any specific soap more then 8 times and they all look relatively full! At this rate, I already bought probably enough for years! It has been tough resisting the urge to buy other scents. Nevertheless, I am trying hard to deplete my stock first. There is no reason not to, because I do enjoy them. It's funny watching folks talk about soap value per once. What's the difference if you bought so much you can't possibly use it? Every dollar spent is a sunk cost that isn't utilized. If you have so many that you can only use them a couple times a year, the actual cost per shave is quite high. I'm not judging because I get collecting and this is a addictive hobby. I know I'm a nut but see below (Don't show my wife!):

$Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 11.47.35 PM.jpg

I was just doing this to see what worked the best for me (best shaves), how long soaps lasted, how many shaves I get from different blades, etc.

I digress. I'm a geeky engineer by heart! My question is because I want to keep trying different products, but want to remember those I like, I was thinking about storing small samples as a reference before finishing a product.

Does anyone store samples this way, other then just keeping remaining soap in its original tin? What have you found as a small cheap long term storage device? I want something small to hold a sample, possibly enough to try again in the future, but large enough to label. My first though was old plastic film canisters that snap tight, but with digital photography, I no longer have any laying around. Does anyone do this and what containers do you use? Thanks.

My point of view is that I'll buy refills for the soaps I love and use the most.

If I don't remember or miss a soap after it runs out, it's probably not worth the time when there are so many amazing soaps to try out there.

Generally, I try to not overthink these things. I do buy a lot more than I need, but i buy to use and not for the sake of collecting/smelling/*insert reason here*:wink:

The biggest problem I see with this is that some of the soaps are going to start losing their scent the longer they are stored(probably).

It might be best just to write your impressions of their scent in your notes to jog your memory

Yeah, I guess many just collect the original soaps & containers over time. I just what to keep things smaller and more manageable. I have a feeling my urge will ultimately win aways. It's too easy and fun to keep trying different soaps. At least it is a good clean hobby!

I keep a journal. I've thought about making a spreadsheet that auto fills in the details to my journal entries to keep track of things. I'll probably start with it at the beginning of the year.

There are all kinds of small container options for keeping soaps. The issue is that lathering samples tends to slightly challenging. I find it much easier to lather from a container / puck. The value of samples for me is being able to trade them away to others for more samples. I plan to buy some small screw lid jars about the size of a Carmex container for making samples. I think those are large enough for 4-5 shaves, and would be great for storage for trading.

I've figured out my top four soaps of my current rotation (Haslinger, Sudsy Soapery, Mike's Naturals, RazoRock 888 (discontinued)). Those are the only soaps I plan to replace when I run out in 4-5 years (I have 750g of Arko to get through and I've started showering with it and using it as a pre-shave wash to go through it). I don't currently plan to replace any of my creams.

Soap scents dissipate within a few years in the original container. Keeping reference samples of soaps may be challenging.

Unfortunately, the scents will go away in time. I guess that vacuum sealing the samples will stop this from happening.

I don't really bother with this. If I use the soap, and I'm really enjoying the scent of it, I'm gonna remember to buy it again when it's gone. There aren't really too many soaps that I truly love, maybe 3 or 4. I keep my soaps in plastic containers, but, for the oldest ones, the scent started to fade away. 3+ years of occasional usage made some of my soaps to be almost unscented by now.

Once you start using more and more soaps, your list of favorite soaps will start to thin. There are many great soaps, but just a few that are perfect.

Lots of good points. Thanks. It was just an idea I had, but I think it was a bit crazy. Sample swapping is probably the best way to try allot of variety while benefiting all interested users. It helps limiting purchases of full tins that you can't possibly use in a lifetime or at least without the scent degrading from time. Now if I can only slow down my razor acquisition addiction! Too many interesting options. I guess this is a good problem for a hobby.

Top Bottom